WoW killed itself for raiders over 7 years ( us repost )

An incredibly important discussion is happening overseas which sadly doesnt happen here.

What do you think?
My 5 cents is that OP has a solid point and casual subs leave to greener pastures while we here mostly read opinions of the loud minority. These entitled people try to shut down every casual voice with their tools of elitism like scores and achievements. So only high end players opinions prevail.

17 Likes

I think you’re a muppet without an original thought.

No raider wanted to grind a billion currencies/reputations/titanforging world quests and the like.

WoD was peak raider experience and Nighthold was peak raid design.

23 Likes

A whole lot of raiders stopped raiding this patch because they don’t like where the game is at the moment.

5 Likes

When you see a popular opinion you try to insult or bully the poster but beyond that you are just basic boring elitist.

When the game director gets his brain back your kind will be left out cold in the rain and no longer feel special. And you feel its coming soon, so you get more and more irritated.

8 Likes

Mythic+ end-of-dungeon rewards had to be nerfed starting in 9.0 so that raiders don’t feel forced to run keys repeatedly for the “free” loot. This undid most of the development progress in creating 5-man content as an alternative endgame progression path, something many players had wanted for years.

PvP gear had to be nerfed starting in 9.1 so that raiders don’t feel forced to do rated PvP for the “free” weapon. This undid most of the development progress in bringing back PvP vendors as a legitimate gearing method.

World content and soloable content gear rewards had to be nerfed starting in 9.0 so that raiders would not feel that the “free” rewards were too close in power to raiding rewards.

pretty much, everytime there is something good outside of raiding, people keep whining that “but raid drops X ilvl so your ilvl should be at Y, with Y being a % of X and Y<X”.
raiding is pretty boring for a lot of players, and is an investment that some can not take due to real life.

the op of the us post forgot professions as well. professions used to allow you to get pretty powerful, now its just a joke.

12 Likes

Because when professions are relevant you scream “pay to win”.

Source: Current legendary crafting.

4 Likes

Yea, lets bring back Wotlk style gear progression, arguably one of the best expansions for many. Oh wait, but the system in Wotlk doesn’t support your ideology. Maybe it’s actually casuals who are to blame for the state of game? I mean the whole covenant system basically was created to please casuals

2 Likes

because of the token, not to the profession per se. and you can buy boosts. so what now?

and your source is kinda pathetic, its unique orange items. can only have one. and you need to have good replacement gear when swapping builds/specs.

3 Likes

We have had this kind of conversation in EU, it’s not the first time it’s been brought up.

As long as raiding is an important part of the game, the game will have to be balanced with raiding in mind.

I don’t see an issue with the best gear rewards coming from content that requires 10+ people to co-ordinate for hours, instead of from content that requires 5 people to co-ordinate for half an hour, or content that you can solo at your leisure.

I may be biased because the raiding is what I’m here for. M+ is all nice and jolly, sure, but I wouldn’t sub to the game if M+ was the premiere end-game content.

3 Likes

There is one fundamental problem I do see arising from this kind of discussion though: who’s actually WoW’s target audience? What are the core design goals of the game? It’s all over the place. They’re trying to manage like four or five different target audiences who all vocally hate each other and don’t want to see anything happen to the game that’s better for the other groups if it even slightly damages their part.

1 Like

I’ve read it and it’s so wrong.

The game does not catter to raider, otherwise, the game would be like it was during WOD and would not have witnessed a 50% drop in raiding participation.

If anything, the game needs more segregation between content.

Saying that thorgasht is a chore kinda narrows it down since it could have been a good feature…If it was not made mandatory.

And that’s post legion philosophy flaw that is : content outside of PVP, raiding and M+ are made mandatory in order to play in there.

Vanilla Wow became popular as the fresh and casual mmo in 2004 ( compared to everquest ), based on awesome lore developed during Warcraft 1 - 3.

Cata While it was casual it was growing, when it focus turned on more difficulties and high end players it started to stagnate.

MoP When it got a sell off expansion with completely foreign theme it lost millions of subs.

WoD focus on high end players didnt let the game sub numbers to bounce back

Legion was last time game was truly alive and i see the biggest reason in how fun it was for casuals.

May be its simplistic and biased but wow grows on low entry barriers to progression and general accessibility and dies out during elitism and exotic periods.

As far as we know, Mop might have been one of the most popular expansion. Why is it always whenever some raider hater comes up with argument, they pull some weird ranking or numbers from their butt

Smell my argument

I think there’s some valid points but for the most part he’s just wrong. raiding isn’t in any worse shape than in the past, it just took this long for players to see through the band-aid that was holding WoW together since it’s glory days in WotLK

I’m curious to see you highlight MOP as a downer expansion. I didn’t play it because Kung Fu Panda, as you alluded to, but it seems to me looking back as one of the expansions where they really tried hard to serve up content for non-raiders. Pet battling, challenge mode dungeons, the Timeless Isle, the Black Market Auction House, and so on.

3 Likes

Mythic+ end-of-dungeon rewards had to be nerfed starting in 9.0 so that raiders don’t feel forced to

PvP gear had to be nerfed starting in 9.1 so that raiders don’t feel forced to

World content and soloable content gear rewards had to be nerfed starting in 9.0 so that raiders would not feel that

People are complaining all the time to get equal rewards for doing less difficult content.

I don’t think Blizzard is really tuning the game towards raiders as much as they are tuning the game so that the raiding remains the most attractive end-game feature with the best loot as well.

Everything is in order.

4 Likes

Didn’t really read the article, but for me personally. Raiding died the minute the hardest difficulty became 20man.

1 Like

No regrets, i believe it was a mistake and a poor joke to add these instead of asian human customisation with normal or muscular body and samurai class to actually represent popular aspects of asian culture.
Pandamonks addition is a mokery of asia imho. I dont like it.

well I just want to say that apparently almost anyone who disliked MoP did so because of the panda theme. as for the expansion itself: blizz put in tremendous effort into that expac until the last minute and most of the systems they designed made their way into the core game.
it was one of the few expansions where both high end raiders and casuals felt the game offers relevant content to them and you guys judging it because “pandas lol” is incredibly stupid.

2 Likes