Coming Later This Year: Shadowlands Season 4

Now that Season 3 is well underway and players are pursuing all of the seasonal aspects of Mythic+ and competitive PvP, we’d like you to join us in considering what might come afterward. Later this year, after the current season has run for a typical duration, we’re planning to conclude Season 3 and begin Shadowlands Season 4, a fresh take on what a season of WoW might include.

In Shadowlands Season 4, your PvP efforts will reward you with a new higher tier of PvP gear along with other Season rewards, such as mounts and titles. We’re planning for the highest ranking title to be Eternal Gladiator, a fitting capstone for your Shadowlands PvP accomplishments.

We’re excited to announce that we’re going to shake things up in Mythic+ and raiding in Season 4. We’d like to change up the Mythic+ dungeon pool so that it would include 8 dungeons that span the last four expansions of WoW:

• Tazavesh: Streets of Wonder
  • Tazavesh: So’leah’s Gambit
  • Operation Mechagon: Junkyard
  • Operation Mechagon: Workshop
  • Return to Karazhan: Lower
  • Return to Karazhan: Upper
  • And two dungeons from Warlords of Draenor

To that end, we’ve started a community poll where you’ll help us decide which two Draenor dungeons are included in the Season 4 Mythic+ rotation. You can click here to vote to select two dungeons from among: Auchindoun, Bloodmaul Slag Mines, Everbloom, Grimrail Depot, Shadowmoon Burial Grounds, Skyreach, and Upper Blackrock Spire.

For Season 4 raiding, we’re imagining adding a progenitor-themed affix system to infuse some new mechanical twists into Castle Nathria, Sanctum of Domination, and Sepulcher of the First Ones. Our intention here would be to make all three raids relevant in Season 4, with increased difficulty and more powerful levels of raid loot dropping throughout all of them.

Feel free to reply here and let us know what you think of these experiments, and we’ll have more details on all of this for you soon. Also, please vote for your preferred Warlords of Draenor dungeons.

Thank you!

15 Likes

Hey rogues, guess what! You get to farm sylv daggers all over again!

As an addendum:
There will be no Hall of Fame for Season 4. We’re not looking to position this as a competitive event.

Why are you only creating polls for the WoD dungeons? Wouldn’t it make more sense to ask which dungeon to add for each expansion?
I really dislike the dungeon picks for Legion and BFA.

20 Likes

This sounds awful. I’m sure some will enjoy it but that list fills me with dread.

20 Likes

The raiding part sounds absolutely awful. No one wants to reprogress raids they just did (especially with fights like SLG and painsmith)

6 Likes

I like the idea but tbh I would not pick tazavesh, mechagon or karazhan, if I had the choice.

edit: Actually, I read the m+ part only, I like the idea for m+. For raiding it sounds a bit silly as I would like to farm them on lower difficulty, as I have not done any of them yet. I am not sure affixes are a good idea for raiding. Will I be able to farm Sylvanas mount as it is now or will it be harder?

5 Likes

Honestly, the WoD Dungeons were utter trash and I don’t even run them during Timewalking week.

Please pick an extra Dungeon from BFA and an extra one from Legion. I will refrain from voting until those options are included.

Other than that, thank you for acknowledging there will be a delay before the next expansion and trying to come up with something different. I like the idea.

3 Likes

What’s that? The last Seasons have been 28, 38, and 27 weeks respectively. So the typical is 6 months or more. Okay…

Content drought is what comes afterward. We’ve been through this process 8 times before. We know the drill.

I appreciate Blizzard’s efforts to try and keep the game relevant by shaking up what would otherwise be a redundant period in the game, but I don’t know. It certainly solidifies WoW as a game that is centered around competitive Dungeons/Raids/Arenas and not much else. Cool if you’re into that, I guess, but otherwise there’s nothing but content drought on the menu.

And I think I’ll pass on that.

When Blizzard does their expansion reveal we’ll get a bit wiser on how far ahead in development they are. But based on this announcement it’s hard to be hopeful.

If they’re saying that Season 4 comes after the current Season has run its course (6+ months), then we’re looking at a year of Shadowlands – possibly more.

That’s a long time.

10 Likes

10.0 ways off is sad.

But. Could there at least be something similar for the open world? Bring back Timeless Isle or whatever. Would make the wait more bearable…

1 Like

Jesus christ can you guys stop being such debbie downers? If you dont wanna play the extra added dungeons or raids you dont have to, them utilizing old content is literally what we were asking years for, wonderful implementation!

11 Likes

i actually don’t really mind it. it means we actually get to play a real full fledge expansion release instead of a beta.
i would expect the next expansion to be out early 2023?

3 Likes

I hope this is only an early arrived April fools joke. This can’t be true. If it’s true I’m unsubscribed.

3 Likes

Wow has long struggled with end of expansion content droughts and it’s great to see the team experimenting with ways to life-extend the final patch, and this will hopefully shake up the raiding and M+ scenes and make them less stale towards the end.

Hopefully the learnings can be applied to the next expansion to find interesting ways to
make use of the massive amount of old content to freshen up current content.

It is disappointing to not see any plans for world content/casual/solo players - and this will reinforce the view that wow only serves these groups well for the first few months of an expansion.

I hope the team can also find a way to bring the older open world content into play as well - even if on a limited scale. For example a light revamp of one or two older zones with new questing and some timeless isle or mechagon style mechanics to add replayability.

6 Likes

Old content, I agree, but no literally the raids we just cleared and got burned out of.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the worked Mechagon and Karazhan. I just didn’t enjoy WOD (and didn’t play it). I’d rather see them utilitize more BFA and Legion dungeons. They all ready for M+ since they were M+ dungeons before hand. Therefore Blizz can concentrate their efforts into making 10.0 better, than wasting time on WoD Dungeons, which were trash in the first place.

It’s going to be a challenge to make the current raids feel fresh to be sure!

Personally I’d have preferred to have a Legion or Wod Raid back.

2 Likes

Is this a one-off event for Shadowlands Season 4, or do you plan to do something similar in the next expansion too?

I have absolutely no desire to play past expansion dungeons, so I will be skipping S4. If this continues in 10.0, then please let me know, so I don’t waste time and unsub sooner rather than later.

Thanks.

5 Likes

do blizzard try to kill wow or whats wrong? most of the raids… the people next to u are the biggest affix… and the dungeon choices… pure nuts… i never disliked something wow related that much as this s4 idea… i rly hope its a joke…

5 Likes