[World First] Iron Man on WoW Classic

Hello, adventurers of Azeroth !

Today is a bright day, for I, on my character Ironphelecar, Dwarf Rogue on the Mirage Raceway server, have cleared the game in Iron Man !

I have provided aid to all the people in my home town of Dun Morogh and my Human allies in Elwynn Forest, cleared the once-fertile lands of Westfall, freed the dead from their curse in Duskwood and Wetlands, braved the deepest forest, the wildest animals of Stranglethorn Vale, survived the harmful climate and centaurs of Desolace, assisted the Night Elves in the luxurious forest of Feralas, met the proud Dwarves of the Wildhammer Clan in The Hinterlands, ended a bandit organisation in Tanaris to protect the inhabitants of Gadjetzan, waged war with the rival Iron Dwarf clan in the Searing Gorge and finally faced the fearsome dinausors of Un’Goro Crater.

I did as many quests as I possibly could in all those areas, and grinded everything else.

After 11 days, 4 hours and 45 minutes of questing and murdering thousands of crabs, gorillas, blood elves and a few others, bringing them close to extinction, I have finally reached level 60 using only the bare minimum.

I lost and deleted a total of 25 characters in the process, 4 of them being above level 20 (including one which was level 42).

To talk about my previous experience with World of Warcraft, I have never played Vanilla, and I did not play it on private servers either. I started at BC and played one month, came back to WOTLK and played about two months, then about 6 (or a bit more) during Cataclysm, and finally a month in legion and about 3/4 months in BFA. Totals a bit more than a year total since BC (not counting Classic).

You can see some of my my questing on my Youtube playlist if you are curious about a particular area (everything is raw, unedited, I will make real videos later, but for now it will serve its purpose), https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_0UDRpApfz783AES87yTQiLiR1SHlCVC

You can check my full run if you wish to see a particular level, or check that I followed all the rules at all time on my previous videos available on my stream, the run started 21 september and the name of the video is pretty explicit, https://www.twitch.tv/phelecar/

I will now start a PVP character (non-iron man, a normal one) on the Gehennas server. Another Rogue, and will play it on stream ! Hoping to see you there someday !

The full rules of the challenge were as follow, true to the official Blizzard news :
worldofwarcraft .com/en-us/news/4452527/till-death-do-you-part

• All gear employed must be White or Grey. Also, no Heirlooms of any sort.
  • No transfer of gear, items, or money from any other character (yours or others).
  • No gear enhancement(s), thus no socketed gems, enchanting or reforging. Exceptions exist for class abilities (example: rogue poisons).
  • No specializations, talent points, or glyphs. This restriction also applies to talent points for pets.
  • No professions or secondary skills. An exception is made for First Aid.
  • No potions/flasks/elixirs (except those labeled as quest Items).
  • No food buffs or other external buffs (this includes buffs from items and other players).
  • No grouping or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
  • No dungeons/raids. No battlegrounds/arenas.
  • No guilds. An exception is made for Iron Man guilds. No guild perks.
  • No Recruit-A- Friend activities. The intention of the challenge is that it be done without assistance.
  • No add-ons that assist in combat and/or leveling.
  • THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character.

Permitted:

• All mounts
  • All bags/containers
  • All quests (including holiday and daily quests)
  • You may train and use all your class skills (including your own buffs)

As added rules, I also banned the use of the Auction House and all Add-ons.

I posted the same message on the /r/classicwow subreddit,
reddit. com/r/classicwow/comments/dhwgg8/world_first_iron_man_on_wow_classic/

Regards,
Phelecar.

54 Likes

Actually it’s been confirmed that iron maning WoW classic to level 60 is impossible. So sorry about your time waste on your long life-rant.

3 Likes

I actually cleared it, how is it impossible now?

7 Likes

I think the most impressive part is the class of choice. Congratulations!

I’m astonished, a truly amazing accomplishment. Congratulations!

Nah it’s impossible because it don’t matter who you are. You WILL die a few times in the level 5-13 bracket.

I hereby invite you to check my videos.
I have EVERYTHING recorded and posted. Every minute played is viewable in a video on my twitch.
To make things easier for you I will even link you to the “level 5 to 13” part you are mentioning : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/484404236?t=03h19m49s

13 Likes

Says who? Wtf do you know mate?

3 Likes

Well he just gave you proof that shows otherwise. If I’m not mistaken he also had his whole ironman challenge recorded, so that looks like 4 characters of level 20+ without dying once. Albeit most of the classic players dies atleast once in that bracket, doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Disgusting of you to be so disgraceful over another persons worthy accomplishment.

OP: I would be so heartbroken if I watched you live when you died at level 42! :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Thats a weird level range that you’re bound to die at…

6 Likes

Don’t feed the trolls! (Especially hunters; let them find their own food)

6 Likes

Honestly, I got pretty tilted after that one (my previous “highest” at this point being ~26 IIRC) but I still kept going ! I had a few more toons that died between this one and my final one too (like 5 I think… Including one level 29 that died of drawning lol…)

Thanks all for the support :slight_smile:

4 Likes

if only there was a way to harness that willpower and conviction for something that benefited mankind. you should join spacex man.

5 Likes

Congratulations on the achievement. Now I mainly wonder what was the causes you died mostly.

Was it all from falling, or from sudden elites, or the complete randomness of someone pulling mobs to your location and then die there?

Thanks !
I actually never died from someone else pulling/training mobs to me or to an elite (I stayed a good distance away from them :smiley:).
I would say most of my deaths were caused by myself not paying attention to my surroundings enough, I’ve died countless times because I aggro’d something else in a middle of a fight, or because of respawns (in a cave, in the middle of an ennemy camp, etc), or because I ran away into an ennemy…
I also had a bunch of deaths to boars since I can’t run away from them if the fight goes bad (they hit like a truck with their charge, d’oh).
I had only one death from a skull rogue when I played on pvp server (about half of the characters were on pvp).
And a bunch of deaths from inadvertance, being pure 1v1 and still dieing either because I aggro’d too low HP, or because I got a crit, etc. Since then I learnt to always have enough health to survive crits.
I also got one death from drawning.

I feel like having Vanish available on a challenge that counts a single death as a failure is a big deal.
Maybe that’s just me.
Gz tho OP, you’re crazier than I am that’s for sure.

Vanish is an advantage but rogues are extremely weapon-dependent, at times take a lot of damage, and their CC is on a 3.5-5 minute cooldown (and learned at level 34).

Hunters, mages and warlocks are in general easier to level; in these circumstances, the gap is even wider.

Yeah, Evis scales so well with weapons :wink:

Good thing you got stuns, evasion, sprint and vanish to escape then.

Just saying that accidentally pulling 3-4 mobs can be death for others where a rogue just pops 1 vanish to escape.

Eviscerate is typically a ridiculous fraction of one’s total damage, even when killing mobs where energy is more meaningful than in a longer fight. Precisely in his case Eviscerate would be the only ability that does decent damage after 20 seconds worth of energy (well, or Rupture; I imagine fights are long enough, but same point).

And no, before anyone pulls old videos of naked rogues doing PvP, you can’t play “world of roguecraft” with mobs.

I’m not saying there are no escape mechanisms, I’m saying he still has to level up actually killing something, and doing it with white gear in melee range is masochism compared to the alternatives.

You’d be OOM so incredibly fast in white gear as a caster too, with no ‘Uh oh I messed up’ button to instantly drop all aggro.

This feels like masochism regardless of class. Hunter probably have it easier on it tho. Pet for tanking and with a hunter in white gear the pet might actually hold aggro decently for once.

1 Like