[A-RP] The Last Court (Highborne gathering & Community)

Next Meeting
Date: 05/05/19
Time: 20:00

Community link: https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/nNJWVBtend?region=EU&faction=Alliance

“Oh yes, it was quite beautiful…” he reflected, a tired and wistful smile tracing his features “…the Court of Prince Farondis had few equals, I remember my presentation to the court.”

The Gnome kindly smiled, and listened to the ancient man go on, at length, about a home, an empire and a people now lost to time. He indulged his friend, and made himself comfortable. It was going to be a long morning.

After what felt like several hours the young gnomed ventured “How many of you Highborne are left?”

The old man blinked, then stroked his short beard in deep contemplation. “I’m unsure.” came the reply after due and protracted consideration, and left him pensive for the rest of the morning. When he and his friend had parted ways the Highborne wound his ways though the streets of Stormwind, a refugee like many another Kaldorei. Finding a quiet table in the Blue Recluse he sat down, conjured an ink-well, pen and parchment from thin air with but a fanciful flick of his wrist and wrote:

To my ancient, and dear, Highborne brothers and sisters,

We know much of change, of uncertainty and of dark and difficult times. Many of us ventured to return to Kaldorei Society to help safeguard them against the Cataclysm, and there found a home and purpose in training new generations of our people in our ancient arts, our birthright. The boughs of Teldrassil came to be known as home, one we fought in the forests of Darkshore to defend, and helping evacuate people from Darnassus.

Now the war rages, and the waves begin to stir. We surviving Highborne must continue to endure, to serve our proud legacy, defend our fellow Kaldorei and continue to safeguard the world against the mistakes, and legacy, of our past.

I invite you to join me, and attend, The Last Court of our ancient people. Together let us reflect on all that has transpired in months past, and collectively see what can be done.

As so many of us are displaced in Stormwind, let us meet there to start with. Look to find me at 8 o’clock on the evening of Sunday the 5th of the next month.

Lord Meletis Arcanoak

The Last Court is a community and gathering of Highborne RPers with the aim of providing a monthly-get-together, an opportunity for characters to catch up and a place to generate new rp with a Highborne theme.

The initial meeting will just be introductions, sharing news of the war, ruminating on ways to contribute and Meletis sharing his hopes for the grouop. At the end we’ll fix a place for the next meeting.

Looking forward to seeing folks there!

14 Likes

A welcomed initiative, but could there not be some other place to meet, other than a place in Stormwind?

7 Likes

I believe the one that Acrona had hosted, used Suramar for the aesthetics, there’s also Dire Maul that could be somewhere neat for something like this to be hosted. Just a collective group of Highborne meeting up in somewhere familiar or more to their liking (who knows some of them may prefer Stormwind) could hit closer to home!

2 Likes

Hello! This is a great initiative

Although as said above, I think it would be cooler if somewhere else, like Feralas, either Dire maul or Feathermoon, or the really cool Tower of Estulan would be used :slight_smile:
Some other ruins like Eldreth in Stonetalon, or the zones of Broken isles can be cool as well!
Good luck :slight_smile:

I hear what people are saying, but Stormwind is currently home to a sizable Kaldorei refugee population, which would feature its fair share of Highborne. For non-magically inclined Highborne Stormwind also offers more accessible hub for this initial meeting from an IC perspective than some far flung ruin. I had contemplated the Nar’thalas Academy, and Moonguard Strong Hold (one of the observation platforms) however I was brought back to the reality of their situation, taking into account recent events, this feels more appropriate as to where they are as a people and where most would be able to reach within their means.

In all fairness, Eldre’thalas isn’t just some “Far flung ruin”, it’s one of the only bastions left of the Highborne, and given how the Highborne are pretty much all mages in at least SOME capacity I imagine most could make it there especially given how a lot of Night elves are still fighting on Kalimdor. It would also give the meeting an actual Highborne theme, Stormwind doesn’t really give of a “Highborne” feeling to it and there’s not really any suitable locations there for it. What’re you gonna do take a bunch of 10,000 year old elves to go to the Human tavern?

I understand the reasoning behind the choice of Stormwind, refugees and all that but there’s grounds to consider elsewhere as well.

I think that Stormwind is a good place to host this event; it’s the current home of the Night Elves who aren’t fighting in the war.

I find it quite interesting thematically that an ancient and powerful people, beset by war and tragedy, hold their gatherings in the foreign city that has opened up to them as refugees.

While my own Highborne is a grubby druid who remains on Kalimdor to fight, this sounds like a cool idea. Good luck with it :ok_hand:

3 Likes

This is partly why I settled on Stormwind, it is that stark contrast in circumstances and situations. I’m not going to OOCly pander to grandeur, I like the disparity in their situation. There is story to be had there. Meletis is ICly a refugee in Stormwind, working on his own project, he’s met enough Highborne ICly to feel a need to get them together, so that is what he is doing, hence the letter and open invitation.

I’m truly sorry the notion of Highborne gathering in Stormwind appears to be a bone of contention for so many OOCly, but this was settled on from an IC perspective in light of recent events, and how those events give motion to this Last Court.

3 Likes

I think the concern is that it’s a Highborne gathering, yet it won’t feel like a Highborne thing if we start being inclusive where Humans and such can rock up.

Indeed, if Eldre’Thalas or Isildien weren’t places to consider, then I would have thought that Lariss Pavilion could have been a contender.

Unfortunately, I’m afraid my Highborne has no business in Stormwind, so neither she nor her Highborne Warrior husband will be joining for this.

I can appreicate that, but again I can not forsake IC circumstances for OOC sentiments of what feels like a Highborne gathering. I expect when the Highborne had to fend for themselves in distant corners of the world without the well, or isolated in their cities, or cast out from those cities like Eldre’thalas things did not feel very “Highborne”. However they do have a remarkable ability to endure despite it all. Yes, Stormwind does not feel very “Highborne”, I expect the hundreds of Kaldorei who are refugees there feel it is not very “Kaldorei” but they are victims of war and are reeling from the destruction of their home. I’ve no doubt the refugees are tired to being oggled at by locals too, with humans rocking up as you put it, but those are their circumstances. I won’t forsake in-game events and IC motivations to appeal to a sense of what may, or may not, feel Highborne from a player perspective.

I’ve elaborated that at the meeting locations for future gatherings will be touched on, because Meletis knows it is not ideal. However I’m not going to jump the gun when he, and many others, are residents of Stormwind for the time being and have to make do with what they have left, which isn’t much more than the clothes on his back.

Yeah, some human rpers may get curious to listen in, or ask questions, or watch. I’m not of a mind this is a bad thing, it will be a curious sight, and it will be an uncomfortable meeting for many of the Highborne there. Such are the times they live in.

The main reason why people want this Highborne meeting to be someplace else has a lot to do with aesthetic. Dire Maul, Suramar – they feel much more Highborne than Stormwind does. Stormwind doesn’t and won’t ever feel Highborne, because it is a Human city. But that is fine. It makes sense lore-wise for a meeting like this to be held in Stormwind and, quite frankly, the stark contrast with older Highborne events may make it stand out more.

I’ve added your forum thread to the Night Elf RP thread, Meletis. Good luck! =)

But here is the problem.

It won’t be a Highborne gathering. It will be a Mage gathering and this has only recently been done by somebody else, who held their Mage gathering in Dalaran.

But there’s also many Night Elves, Magi included, who joined the forces in Darkshore.
Again, I personally don’t feel this is a Highborne meeting. This feels like it’s directed to actually be a Mage meeting.

A Highborne gathering/meeting has to be Highborne from start to finish, otherwise it’s a Mage meeting.

no its not.

Its ruled solely by King Gordok and his Ogre’s, with the remaining Shen’dralar fleeing into the forests, after the Horde slew Prince Torthledrin and his closest advisors) until they rejoined the greater Kaldorei society before the Cataclysm.

Anyways nice initiative! And I will do my best to be around and attend it! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t really agree with this. The fact that there may be Human onlookers doesn’t necessarily make this event a Mage gathering. The event is still very clearly aimed at Highborne, and I’d invite you to read the opening missive again. It even opens by addressing Highborne elves and goes on to ask them to gather.

But this event is Highborne, start to finish. The only thing that is not Highborne is the fact that this event is held in Stormwind, but that by itself doesn’t make the entire event non-Highborne, and especially not immediately a Mage event – there is much more to the Highborne than just the Arcane.

I’d invite you to read the opening missive again.

5 Likes

I’ve yet to be convinced.

But the event is stationed around the idea of Highborne Arcana and Highborne legacy and Stormwind isn’t that.

But is the event holder going to demand that we all speak common because “we must respect the other races.”

You can tell me to read it as many times as you want, but if the event is open to other races getting involved, then it’s not a Highborne gathering nor a meeting.

It’s a meeting. Just not a Highborne one.

Why’s there a need to be so aggressive against community initiatives, especially one dedicated to Mage RP, more specifically that of the Highborne. I do hope there’s not some terrible discord behind it, because there always is, this guy has clearly stated that this will be a Highborne gathering.

You seem seriously zany about Mage meetings, this guy is going out of his way to ensure fun for others and you are attempting to derail this thread in protection of “Mage meetings”. It comes across highly pointless and childish lmao

1 Like

It’s about the Highborne wanting to decide what to do in light of the recent developments. Incidentally, Kaldorei refugees (this includes Highborne) pretty much “landed” in Stormwind City. I think it is a very good pick for a Highborne meeting and nicely highlights the trying times in light of current content. Great job, OP.

2 Likes

I’m just voicing concerns regarding the event which has also been voiced aswell.

I hope it remains on track with it’s initial thing.

Again, voicing concern.

I do hope the event is a success and it’s focus remain at the forefront. The focus must be the Night Elves first and those who RP Highborne. That means having the free will to speak Darnassian.
If you persist on calling me names, simply for voicing some concerns that weren’t even hostile, I will report.

But there’s the thing on which Highborne and Night Elven Magi remained and which left for Darkshore?

I mean, if not Stormwind, what about the Tower of Azora? At least the event can be made more in the way of it’s original purpose and the setting can still work as it’s in a Mage Tower.

Is it really ‘concerning’ a Highborne event is held in SW, though?

Well it has been voiced by more than just me.

I’m offering an event that is still in Stormwind lands, so can still play on the idea of Highborne who remained in Stormwind, but takes place in a more suitable location, such as the Tower of Azora.