Arenas are a mistake

As the title says, arenas are the biggest fail the developers ever did on this game gameplay and lorewise.

Let’s start from the second becouse is quicker to explain.

Right on an arena circuit managed by goblins of the steamwhedle cartel (booty bay, rachey, tanaris, everlook) is more prestigious and gives better fame/reward than taking part in the battles between horde and alliance for the control of tactical locations (wsg being the prime example due of the conflict being around the control of the wood of which ashenvale is full).

Gameplay wise they are boring and lack any tactical element compared to bg or the mmo’s of old that focused on world pvp.

While arenas are just a boring circle of:
Burst enemy with cd’s up.
Run around pillars/cc the enemy until they are up again.

And every arena match is just a repeat of this two making it extremely boring even to watch, as show with how the MDI (a competition where the players races at who clear the dungeon faster) have surpassed the arena tournaments in terms of people interest.

Of course in not saying to remove them, but with honor and conquest returning as a currency this is the right opportunity to give bg’s and rated bg’s their right spot as the proper way to progress as a pvp player.

Arenas should not reward conquest and they should reward less honor compared to random bgs.
Arenas should be that thing that you queue up only if you miss 25/50 honor to buy/upgrade your gear.

Add random 1v1 and put back 5v5 and remove rated 2v2 and 3v3.

I know that all the “PVPers” will now come insulting me, but if you like arenas that much then mmorgs are not your target and go to mobas/fps or whatever and leave the pvp aspect of pvp as it used to be, conflicts between large groups of player for the control of tactical objectives (instanced or open world)

38 Likes

not to mention trying to balance pvp around 3v3 arena has made healers incredibly irritating to deal with anywhere without dampening

oh but you’re not supposed to be able to kill a healer alone” someone will surely say, it shouldn’t be IMPOSSIBLE either - which it currently is unless said healer is blindfolded and plays without arms

16 Likes

You can kill the healer the moment he runs out of mana, as it’s intended. Or play DH with gushing wound stack.

I’m still getting into pvp properly, so maybe it’s still new content to me, but I find arenas to be quite engaging and the time flies by rather quickly as I generally have fun in them for the most part.

Kind of agree… arena is a very odd component to have in this game.

But I just find it dull and too short to be engaging. It can stay if people love it, I’ll just keep ignoring it.

1 Like

I don’t really play pvp, but can’t see what is the problem with arenas being a thing. Some people prefer to play BGs, and some arenas. Unless there are not enough pvp players both modes should be available.

6 Likes

I’ve never run out of mana on my paladin unless dampening makes me have to spam heal expensive heals. Without dampening, my mana would never deplete.

2 Likes

While mana for hpal is hardly ever a problem it still depletes eventually, yesterday we were doing 3s and the paladin eventually ran out of mana from the constant pressure the DH and DK were doing. I think dampening is a necessary thing, unless you want games to last forever, they already kinda do even with dampening is the match is evenly balanced.

Nope, rated arenas have been core of this game since TBC and I am extremely glad. BGs are boring for me. 1v1? It would be total domination of like 2 classes over all others. This alone shows you know nothing about PvP, sorry.

You got your Classic without arenas, just keep playing it and have fun.

20 Likes

Due to dampening.

1 Like

Arena = 2 monkyes in cage fighting about a banana.

8 Likes

Why always a classic character cry about retail stuff?

3 Likes

If they post on a Retail character, there would be the inevitable comments about how they still play the game despite having gripes with it.

You cannot win either way.

4 Likes

that and to keep profile stalkers on topic instead of saying “you dont have gladiator every season so you don’t know what you’re on about”

4 Likes

This is not about Gladiator. Its simply a stupid idea from someone who doesn’t like arenas. Rated arenas have been in this game since forever and are a core of rated PvP, period.

4 Likes

Yes, but we atleast could see that he/she actually play that version of game, and not just random rambling.

There is a similar guy on forums who do nothing but naming/shaming developers, crying about retail stuff, and yet he doesnt play it at all (he even claimed it)

1 Like

core or not, it has been a mistake ever since it was introduced

3 Likes

Its like saying that all the colours apart from your favourite were a mistake. My point is people like different things and different modes and that is great.

The real mistake is forcing people into modes they don’t like under stupid arguments like “gear is gear” or “its and MMORPG!” or “You must do everything! because we said so!”

5 Likes

nah.
the mistake was introducing it without thinking at how the class aren’t balanced in terms of pvp utilities.

still going to this day, some class are way more powerful than others in pvp, 10+ years of arena, and they still haven’t balanced things out.

There mmorpg’s are not your target you should move to mobas if you prefer this kind of gameplay, arenas are mobs without the basic moba elements.

Becouse even if I post with a retail one would make no difference, due of arenas killing bgs and any possibility to have a proper RvR pvp sistem I only focused on pve, in fact this season I got mine CE and I just did few arenas becouse I had to get C&S but I stopped at the rank due with how unrewaring as a experience arenas are.

Ok, thanks for letting us know :smiley: