"Considering returning to PVP gear from WoD" - YES! DO THIS!

After a completely bland Blizzconline, there’s this bit in the interview to Icy Veins / Vanion:

“The developers are currently considering whether to go back to the Warlords of Draenor system for PvP equipment. That PvP equipment adapts dynamically and gets a higher item level in PvP activities, which means that it is always better to use PvP items instead of PvE items.”

https://www.wowhead.com/news=321082/blizzard-considering-wod-style-scaling-pvp-gear

YES! Please do this!

This will stop forcing PVP people to PVE (like in many expansions prior to this one) and stop forcing PVE people to PVP (like in this expansion), which is what ALL players, both PVE and PVP want.

ADDED: For those unfamiliar with WoD, here’s roughly how the system would work in SL:

PVE gear stays completely unchanged, same ilvls, same everything.

PVP gear for honor is ilvl 158-197 (like now) in the world / instances / raids, but is scaled up to ilvl 220 in battlegrounds / arenas.

PVP gear for conquest loses upgrades and gets a single ilvl. It is ilvl 207 in the world / instances / raids, but is scaled up to ilvl 230 (yes, better than 226 from PVE) in battlegrounds / arenas.

The result:

It does not make sense to PVE for PVP, on battlegrounds / arenas PVP gear is much better. It does not make sense to PVP for PVE, in instances / raids PVE gear is much better. It’s a win-win.

Upvote this thread, make it gold, do the same on the US, let’s get the message out to Blizzard - YES, this is a good idea, please do it and keep it that way forever!

55 Likes

This is fantastic for those who love alts and don’t want to just play 1 character the whole expansion.

10 Likes

Don’t get my hopes now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This would be great…but do it next season or 7/10 of my mythic progression guild will drop 10 ilvls xD

3 Likes

Could be argued that such a system would favour PVP, over PVE.

PVP players gear works as normal in PVE content, despite PVP players claiming they despise and do not do PVE content… yet PVP gear works better in PVP.

Why would that be necessary, if PVP players are only fighting PVP players, because PVE players don’t PVP?
:thinking:

Sounds more like some peeps getting sweaty over the possible opportunity for a gankfest in wPVP.
Except wPVP is likely to completely die should such a system be implemented…No-one is going to switch War Mode on, if it means they are instantly handing PVP players a massive gear advantage, by doing so.

Not to mention the massive boosting market it would create.

There is a reason that back in WotLK, PVP gear was not as good for PVE content.

The change will make PVP gear worse in PVE.

There’s no favoring PVP. It’s balanced. Want to PVP? PVP then. Want to PVE? Then PVE. Nobody is forced to criss-cross, criss-crossing is strictly worse.

12 Likes

If that is the case, that would be fair.

However, I still have concerns about the probability of boosting becoming as much of a problem in PVP, as PVE.

Going from historical precedent, there is also likely to be a stream of threads complaining about being kicked from PVE content, because wearing sub-optimal PVP gear, here on the Forums.

Boosting is created by huge gear gaps and benefits in side systems. We have both of these now - the gap between 197 and 226 is huge, and you have to PVP for PVE.

Double-ilvl PVP gear removes the latter completely. The numbers in WoD and in the example in the first post are also removing the former for PVP - the gap between honor and conquest is 10 ilvls, that decreases the need to boost significantly. The gap in PVE stays big, but that’s perhaps fine for other reasons (if it isn’t fine, let’s change that, too).

Sum total, boosting is high NOW. The change will reduce it, not increase it. Dramatically so.

4 Likes

I agree.

They should also do this for world content gear. Just have it be lower ilvl when you enter pvp or instanced PvE with it.

They should do this, yes.

The reduction of conquest gear to say 207 will make it far less appealing in pve; provided pve gearing is shown to be generous enough in being accrued. After all a 207 “easy earn” item (1.4 rating in RBGs is not extremely difficult to get) is still going to be better than fishing for a 210+ pve item that never drops. So in this respect pvp still presents as a viable gearing path up to the 207 level (which for mythics is around the 10+ key range).

I myself would implement more hard-scaling on it:

PvP gear (honour) is now a flat 184 ilevel, make the honor costs reflective of whatever the piece would cost to upgrade to this currently reduced by a % (so for example a weapon costs the combined cost of purchase and upgrade to 184 reduced by say 25%). In PvP situations (BGs, Arena, Warmode) said gear scales to a flat 220.
In Torghast and world pve content the honor pieces gain +13 ilevels (197). In instanced pve content they remain at 184.
Conquest gear starts and remains at 200. No ranks. In instanced pvp it scales up to 223 baseline, but then goes 226 (1.4) -> 229 (1.8) -> 233 (2.2) based upon your rating, so rating still confers an ilevel advantage, but much smaller.
In world pve and torg the gear scales up +7 ilevels for every rating bracket you’ve climbed, so for example if you’re at 1.8, in such content your gear is 214 ilevel in said content. However in raids and dungeons it remains 200.

Not a perfect fix but even if ilevels remain the same for honor gear atm, BG grinding still negates (as does the campaign honestly) a huge chunk of M+, with M+ only becoming relevant at the +7 range dropwise.
I mean I started my M+ journey saturday at the end of my session, by running a m0 and then a +2 and plan to do more now I have my campaign sorted out, and a vast majority of the drops i’m going to see are already going to be pretty worthless to my character despite the fact i’ve barely set foot in M+ at all until I get to the +5 range or so, which is pretty wierd.

Any benefit is leveraged by the Boosting community…if the difference is genuinely negligible, then logically, it is also pointless… and the difference between ilvl 158-197, and ilvl 220 is not negligible.

WoD levels of engagement with PVP, required there to be not just a particular system, but a long shortage of PVE content…so, without a content shortage, boosting for peeps who PVE on a serious level and also do PVP, will indeed be a thing.

The shortage is here, my friend.
No patch for a while, I’m afraid.

1 Like

The difference between ilvl 197 and 220 in the new system is big, but this is irrelevant because you get 220 automatically by entering a battleground or arena. All the boost gives you is that instead of 220 you will be 230. That’s a much smaller difference so boosting will reduce considerably.

I could be mistaken, but I understood this was a possible change for some undefined time, in the future… not in 9.0.5?

Wait…are you saying that both PVP and PVE gear would scale to a fixed 220 in RBG and Arenas?

PVE gear will stay in bgs / arenas as it is, PVP gear will scale to 220 (honor) or 230 (conquest).

Except that was my point…if it were implemented, PVP gear gets better in PVP, but not worse in PVE.
In WoTLK your secondary stats were iirc, completely useless in PVE, hence getting kicked from PVE content… so, to reverse your example, PVP gear would lose approx 20ilvls in PVE content, so for those PVPers who like for example, to time Mythic+ keys, I think that might be a problem.

Argh. PVP gear gets worse in PVE because conquest that currently scales up to 226+ becomes 207.

So to clarify… PVP gear is ilvl207 in PVE, but ilvl 220in PVP…and PVE gear for PVE is ilvl207, in both?

PVP gear for honor is 158-197 in PVE, 220 in PVP.

PVP gear for conquest is 207 in PVE, 230 in PVP.

PVE gear is 158-226 in both PVE and PVP, like today, no changes to it whatsoever.

All of this is in the first post.

1 Like