Fully installed WoW is downloading on background?

It’s not the Shadowlands Prepatch. I just did a fresh install of WoW and when I launched the game it lagged a bit but then stabilized. After loading into Boralus the FPS was constantly stuttering and I noticed that the “Downloading important game data” symbol was lit on top of my screen? Even though I did a full install, and also downloaded the beta and Classic files (prepatch data should be included).

I had no addons installed and the installation was 100% fresh, downloaded from Battlenet in a single download (no pausing, etc).

7 Likes

I somehow had my Classic character selected, for some reason. But yes, this is about Retail WoW not Classic or Beta.

The game is acting up a lot like it’s not detecting a full installation. It has the “double loading screen bars”, download on background symbol and during gameplay it stutters whenever I load into a new zone/area where there are a lot of new objects.

It should have all the data though as the Data folder file size is 80 Gb (with Shadowlands and Classic data included). I’ve tried trying to verify game data, it did something but didn’t fix the issues.

I was just about to make a topic about this. I noticed it this afternoon, and I figured it had something to do with the pre-patch as well. But then I noticed in the launcher that there was no update pending. I did a few things, but none of them resolved it, and the “Game data is being downloaded” remains.

I tried;
To delete the cache folder
To check for updates manually in the launcher (on both the PTR and live)
Did a scan + repair
Disabled auto updates in the launcher
Tried without addons

What I noticed was the message (game data is being downloaded) + the little cogwheel happens on both live and the PTR client.

…I can’t get it to go away and it’s super annoying (and indeed tanks my FPS).

Oh my God, this is so obnoxious…

Second day in a row now, and it won’t stop intruding with these never ending messages. I could just simply ignore it, but the way my weak auras are set up, I cannot but to see it all the time.

I’ve selected option that should pause it when the game is launched. But I still get these messages.

“Game data is currently being downloaded”
“Important game data is currently being downloaded”

Small indie company right?

3 Likes

I found a thread on the US forums from someone who also has this issue at the moment.

2 Likes

It’s not just an UI issue as my gameplay was definitely affected by it. The game lagged every time there was something new to be loaded and characters were slowly loading in just as when you log in with incomplete game data.

I managed to log into Beta, the icon is there even on Beta servers (Torghast realm).

Same to me, even with battle.net closed and with no addons.

I am having the same issue. Since the predownload of the pre-patch for SL, I am experiencing that the game seems to be downloading important game data in the background. Sometimes it seems, even soundfiles are missing. Is there a fix?

Heya Folks,

Thanks for the reports. We are hoping to gather more information on this. If you are seeing a persistent green circle downloading data in game and have the time, please get back to us with your Battel.net logs:

Once you the files gathered, please send these into techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject: WoW downloading issue [652930]

Thank you.

I sent the .zip file to the email adress but I get a reply saying the message is too large

I got the exact same issue and it’s hella annoying

Sent my logs, hope the email goes through and this gets fixed as soon as possible, as the game is pretty much unplayable as long as this issue persists.

Just passing along that I suffer from the same problem and was unable to mail the logs because 1.4 MB is too big for your email server :smiley:

Log sent.

Thank you.

hey!, having problems to, and some of my friends, anyone got any new info?

From US

1 Like

Same issue here, waiting for fix

Have the same issue here. Yesterday all were fluid. Today even if I downloaded everything, it seems that the system keeps downloading “stuff”. As a result, frame lag and stutter, huge loading times. Keep in mind i have a a brand new 860 evo SSD and I load every content in the game instantly.

1 Like

hello mizx, the human monk

1 Like

This is still happening. Anyone have any fixes besides the whole delete and redownload thingy?