Hekili with over 27 million DLs shows how bad this game is

What is Hekili?
Hekili is a priority helper addon that can make recommendations several steps into the future. It works by collecting information about the game’s current state, using a SimulationCraft-like action priority list (APL) to recommend the next ability to use, then modifying the game state and making the next prediction. All DPS specializations are currently supported as well as all tanking specializations.

The fact that Hekili an addon that helps people perform their rotations has 27 million downloads is insanity. In any well designed game you should not need third party software that TELLS people what to cast because the design of the game is so complex.

We are not even talking about complex weak auras to deal with overtuned fights so the top 1 % can have fun. We are not even talking about addons that yell at you when you are standing in bad. This is an addon that is enjoying success just because people can not perform their rotation to a satisfactory degree because of the needless and hurtful complexity of the game.

Why is no content creator covering how the game is clearly too complex and bloated? Are they all afraid of being called bad? Why is D4 massively popular when the game has like 6 buttons?

I know what people will say: bUt tHiS iS nOt a mObA.

Was Classic WoW a MOBA? No. Was TBC a MOBA? No. Was WTLK a MOBA? No. Was Legion after the great prune a MOBA? No.

The complexity of retail WoW game design is a complete failure and the massive demand for an addon like Hekili makes this obvious. Blizzard, please stop flirting with RWF players in their DMs or fooling around with Class Discord mods and get in touch with normal people who make up the foundation of this game. You know the normal people who made D4 earn over 600 million in a single week, the normal people who made WoW the biggest MMORPG of all time during the TBC / Wrath era. These are who the game should be designed around.

Complexity in retail WoW should never have been allowed to spread this far and wide. We can not allow this convoluted game design to spread any further. This complexity of bloated rotations must be purged. It is the only way.

26 Likes

Never heard of this, you must be very “special” if you need to use some addons like this, kekw.

Imagine needing an addon what calls you what ability to use next, this is beyond silly…

15 Likes

design is not complex, the only thing that matters in the game right now is seasonal content and to be good at it you need to do perfect rotations since there’s always one build for each class and peopl can’t make their own build because design doesn’t let them but that doesn’t mean it’s complex, it’s the exact opposite, you just have one playstyle for most of the specs which is a very sad thing in an mmo. there’s always one build that you should(must) use to do good dps. i was hoping new talents would change it but it had zero effect on this . wow classic is no different , it’s just way too plain with all the downtime . wrath classes are boring with most having 3 buttons to press and also has one BIS build. retail’s issue goes back to vanilla wow , the og design was made this way.

wotlk classic and all the previous and future attempts of classic shows us that version of the game is not good either, people don’t want either of them in an mmo today.

How does players downloading an Addon to help them to improve at the game make the game bad?

Surely that’s a sign of a good game?

2 Likes

Well, we’re in luck then, since WoW is not so complex that you need third party software in order to know what to press.
Or do you?

People use Hekili that way because they’re lazy and because “given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game.”
It’s got nothing to do with WoW’s design. If classes had three buttons, and people could macro them, they would.

6 Likes

Yeah just 27 million downloads

No people use Hekili because at least 70-80 % of the playerbase get a signifcant damage increase using this addon

You don´t even believe what you are writing yourself lol.

No one uses it to ´´learn´´. Using the addon is just straightup a DPS increase for the vast majority of the playerbase. I have even seen the addon being suggested for DPS players pushing keys. Are these players bad who just need an addon to ´´learn´´? Or is the game so complex, that not having an addon that tells you what to do means you fall signifcantly behind in dps as a direct result of the amount of complexity added with the talent trees has led to so many more ways of failure with regards to performing a rotation.

3 Likes

Hekili is awful though. You’re doing a lot less DPS than if you just got used to your rotation.

4 Likes

Elahri this is because you play at such a high level you have no idea how awful people are at this game, and it makes sense people are awful due to the current complexity in the game. Bad players fall behind like never before.

Even in BFA people would do like 50 % less damage than they were supposed to in +15s and this was with corruptions and azerite adding passive damage.

3 Likes

Bad players are bad thats not on difficulty of the game . i know you want the game to be simple but most people dont

5 Likes

not every mythic raider is a good player either tbh

You do realise in can be useful as a learning tool, right?
But most importantly, who cares?

Source: I made it up.

2 Likes

I mean giving how much of a failure this game has been ever since they made it harder post legion, people obviously do?

Looking at the success of D4 where streamers cry the game is too easy, but mums and dad love it?

Yeah. People obviously want the game to be easier.

Anyone posting on this forum (myself included) is a freak. We are weirdos, part of the top players. We do not represent normal people. The normal people have spoken, they don´t like the current needless complexity of WoW. Just look at the numbers Classic WoW had, and Classic raid sucks (but are super easy).

3 Likes

Because it is a sign that the game is too difficult, if anyone goes out of their way to download an addon that tells them what to do? Especially if the number is as crazy high as TWENTY SEVEN MILLION.

The learning argument is so funny. I would use that if I ever did RMT or sold runs in WoW. BUY YOUR HEROIC BOOST, SO YOU CAN ´´LEARN´´ THE FIGHTS ;).

No this is a very qualified guess. In fact I think I am being charitable by saying 70-80 %.

1 Like

Getting into the game, learning a (new) spec including talents, buffs, stacks, other resources, and optimizing for every content type is pretty hard. But making the conclusion the game is too hard based on the amount of downloads of a helper addon… not sure you should do that.

The addon exists since 2013. DBM is downloaded ~440 million times.
Maybe that puts something in perspective.

1 Like

SOME players want it to be simple the one that enjoy it are playing. Other people quit for other reasons. You want a brain dead simple game im sure theres one out there for you. Wow rotations are simple enough as it is

Hekili was used already during Legion and was in “production” since MoP according to the hekili dev and it most certainly is still as prone to mistakes or errors as a result of how it calculated stuff as it was in the past. Especially since it doesnt read the encounter youre currently in and is also reliant to have its rotation updated pretty much every day considering how frequent stuff gets changed.

I mean Hekili gets mocked frequently. You can use it as a crutch to try help you learn your class when you just started it but youre better off ditching it in the end.

3 Likes

I don’t think that makes the game bad.

One of the aspects I have always enjoyed about WoW since Vanilla, and was one of the things that brought me back to the game was the depth and the on going learning curve that the game has.

There is always space to improve and get better.

Now if people are using addons to help learn. Or as you describe “to improve their DPS”. That’s up to them to play how they want to play.

Again, that doesn’t make the game bad.

1 Like

By this logic any game with guides that help you clear it is poorly designed and too hard.
So every single videogame ever made.

1 Like

People use the way of least resistance. This is as ancient as the human race. So yes, every video game.