Make 3 changes to the game

Because those systems were executed poorly. They all have good basic premise, but tying them to unfun borrowed power mechanics killed all of them (except maybe warfronts; and I thought they were fun… the first few times. They just got boring and tedious very fast).

And the devs have finally realized that they should design more evergreen systems.
Which is exactly what they’ve been doing a lot more of in DF.

I think it’s because they design it in a way where after a patch/expansion it becomes either meaningless or an annoying hassle to do. Which is a shame imo, they could redesign some features and turn it into evergreen content. They could even improve it, take into account criticisms towards these features during the time when it’s current and then keep making it better. Personally I think features that come with an expansion and are then sort of phased out afterwards are regularly a massive mistake.

Unfun borrowed power mechanics? Hah!
I wonder which expansion introduced those in the game.

Wait, I found the culprit: Legion was a McDonald's meal

Yes, Dragonflight is fantastic so far, both for PvE and PvP players when it comes to designing systems.
Now, they just need to make the game more enjoyable for healers to solve the healer shortage thingy, and Dragonflight will basically be flawless as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, their approach to expansions is outdated.
They need to keep stealing ideas from Guild Wars 2.

Nope. Because Legion’s borrowed power was fun. A LOT of fun.

The issue, as far as I’m concerned, was never ‘borrowed power’. It was ‘borrowed power that wasn’t fun or engaging’ - like it was in BfA and Shadowlands.

Glad you’re enjoying it.
For me world content is still lacking. I thought the Time Rifts were a step in the right direction, but it needs more. I think removing daily Emissary quests was a mistake, for instance. I think not having more daily resetting WQs was a mistake.

But most of all; there should be more to work towards when it comes to world content.

1 Like

It was the same grindy and alt-unfriendly mess as BFA’s necklace.
And as I said in my thread, the issue with Legion is what it introduced. What it spawned.
Everything you dislike about BFA & SL can trace its roots back to Legion.

I agree. But like I said, they should just steal from GW2.
Every single low level map, even those from “Vanilla GW2” are still relevant and full of life today, because everything you do anywhere in GW2 is rewarding in some way.
There’s always a reason to “be there” and “do something”, and new expansions don’t make 95% of the old world irrelevant like WoW expansions do. As a result, you always meet other players in the world. Old maps never feel dead and empty, whereas in WoW, Zaralek is brand new and already dead.

-remove shuffle
-add 1 round 3v3 arena ruleset soloq
-meaningful class reworks for pvp and not just pve when some talents need to be changed for pve purposes

I like a grind if it’s fun. And for me the artifact weapon was a lot of fun.
I also don’t care about alts. I like focussing on my main. Especially when it comes to progression and gearing. I say that because Legion was the expansion where I had the most alts since vanilla; due to the class specific content. Lots to do and see.

No it can’t actually; because there were things in Legion that they removed or altered in BfA and SL and that made them worse for me.

Just because you ate a sandwhich one day that you found disgusting and made you sick, doesn’t mean you can go and blame the original person who invented bread all those generations ago. :person_shrugging:t4:

I just can’t agree with that because I’ve played GW2 and it just wasn’t fun. And I gave it a good try; even went back and bought one of the expansions. It’s just not fun enough imo.

That has not been my experience when I returned to that game.

Yep. I wish they’d reconsider that approach in WoW, it feels like such a waste. I’d love it if they extended that to professions too, keep things relevant somehow. I think the way they go about it usually means there is no sense of ‘World’ and only ‘expansion’ which undermines the sensation of being in a different universe. I guess that’s why, despite all its flaws and silly things, vanilla is still so high on my list, because it was one world, and everything you needed or wanted was there.

The only reason why that works in GW2 is because there’s no more leveling.
I don’t see that happening in WoW (nor would I personally want it to - I like being able to overpower stuff by outleveling something).

Because I find it hard to play for much more than an hour or two without giving my eyes a rest since they shortened it. There were many people with the same problem complaining at the time. Because of that. the devs moved the distance out to 39 yards, where it is right now.

I found that 39 yard distance meant something. They were definitely measuring something real, There definitely is some effect there. Below 39 yards, I really can’t play at all. But even at 39 yards, I get some kind of eyestrain over time.

2 Likes

Oh like our zoom out distance!!

Heck yes!

I knew your post would be sensible!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I meant.

I was thinking more along the lines of Hunts in FF14. They use scaling, which isn’t the best, but it’s still fun. They’re great xp, which is nice for alts. Because of one character having access to all classes that makes a lot of sense there, and a bit less in WoW.

But… say you’d remove crests and keep flightstones. Harder content rewards more flightstones, easier less. And then have a lot of different world content (similar to the FF14 Hunts) which reward small amounts, but still as a potential avenue for world players to ilvl up their gear. Add cosmetics, pets, perhaps small ‘xp pods’ for alts. That way you could draw different elements of the playerbase together and use the world itself.

And to add, I agree WQ’s should go back to a more regular basis. I’m not saying what I described should be the only way, more that it could be one of multiple ways to achieve that end result.

1 Like

Yes, I’d be all for that. :blush:

Not familiar with those. I didn’t even last my initial 30 day sub in FF14. I did NOT like that game one bit.

I wasn’t entirely convinced by the game itself either, and compared to WoW’s intensity and graphical style it all felt rather bland to me. But… I think they have a far better grasp on evergreen systems and fully understand a lot of more casual players (I know, impossible word etc) wander their world and enjoy having fun. I really appreciated that. You can tell they design predominantly around that notion, I thought that was quite refreshing!

Well, if that kind of design could be incorporated with WoW’s aesthetic and gameplay, I’d be all for it.

One of the things that I just couldn’t stand was FF14’s aesthetic; it’s just not my thing at all. And that’s not merely speaking of the designs and style; but also the way NPCs talked, the way the story was presented, the story itself. It just didn’t gel with me in the slightest.

I’ve never longed for butch fem orcs as much as I did then, it’s too fluffy for me haha.

But enough hijacking of your topic Slapface, my apologies. I’ll be good and go think on my 3 changes :wink:

1 Like

People have to let this go. WoW will never have a PvP focus. Sure they’ll throw in a new bg or arena every 2 expansions, but aside from that…

WoW is a collectathon PvE game, mainly. PvP is a side activity, if you look at how it’s treated.

Did you ever see a pvp feature being announced in an expansion overview trailer? I can be wrong but the last one was Ashran? Oh and destroyable buildings in wrath.

Well, at least everyone can agree on what needs to be done!

Personally I really like some of the ideas here, though I probably shouldn’t specify which ones…

8 Likes

Oh please do. You know you want to.

3 Likes