[N-RP] The Astral Order - Magic of Discovery

“It is said that magic must be regulated, managed and controlled. But it must also be appreciated and valued, not hoarded. Such is the paradox that you must comprehend. Life is like a story, written only in the ink of time. Twists and turns may push it in different directions but it always has a beginning and an end, and a meaning. Magic and its nature is but one of these tales, but to unveil its’ true meaning we must dig deeper. Every story ever told is true, for stories are where memories go to never be forgotten. There is victory in wisdom, but through wisdom, truth prevails.”

> What is The Astral Order?

We are an organization of individuals dedicated to functional research and exploration of magical and cosmic phenomenons of all kinds, with the goal of using that understanding to benefit the world as a whole. As well as learning how to defend the world from all forms of magical threats.

It is a two fold goal, one learning how to best use magic and benefit the world, the other using that knowledge to protect the world from magical and cosmic threats.

One of our main purposes is to educate the world in the understanding of all kinds of magic, to dispel misconceptions and show that all forms of magic have some benefit if used correctly.

Please understand what we are truly asking for you, what this Order truly represents. In return for your commitment to the fulfilment of our ideals and goals, we offer you a place where you will always be valued and nurtured.

Where we seek to encourage your unique perspectives and nourish your passions, to cultivate the best possible version of each and every member, ensuring you are constantly able to train, learn and improve.

> The Spheres of Influence: How does the Order work?

The Spheres are a method of allowing unity to actually thrive in the Order, while also being able to focus duties in specific areas without dividing the organisation too much. In this, they are led by Astravisers and each Sphere has a subsequent rank that distinguishes a member of said sphere.

Though they usually all work together, with three of the spheres focussed on research and development while the fourth is focussed on more practical pursuits, ultimately they all work in a unified manner. They merely focus their studies while cooperating.

The Spheres:

Stellarian: The last position is for the guild leader, who embodies the philosophies of all the spheres, they listen to the input of all members, find solutions for the betterment of the guild as a whole, help bridge gaps between the guild and other individuals/organisation. It is actually shorthand for ‘Stellar Historian’.

Astravisers: You have a further officer rank for those who serve the order as organisers, guides and general managers for each sphere and the order as a whole, ensuring everyone is kept motivated, focused on the united goals of the Order and solving any issues. It is shorthand for Astral advisor.

Stellar Mind: This sphere of researchers who use magical knowledge to create things and solutions to improve the world. These people use magic to find solutions, to make items, and to create with their magical knowledge.

Eclipsed Soul: This sphere of researchers who use magical knowledge to investigate all the ways magic can go awry and how to prevent these occurrences to protect the world.

Eternal Spirit: This sphere researches magical and non-magical solutions to problems that arise due to magic and sometimes non-magical issues, solving problems that have already arisen.

Terrestrial Hand: This sphere are for those who are not researchers, but rather practically minded individuals that use the gains of the other spheres to defend and supply the order, as well as creation as a whole.

Initiate: Though not a sphere, members who are recently recruited but do not immediately join a sphere become Initiates. Initiates are usually those who are still finding their place in the Order, but they could also be true initiates of their craft as well, apprentices and the like.

Our Roleplay Style:

In a time of darkness, war and despair, knowledge could potentially save lives. We aim to help those in need. We often stand against dark threats of a magical nature, though sometimes of a technological one as well.

We expect our members to be respectful and adhere to the lore, but also be creative in how they utilise it and interact with it. Though small modicums of head-canon can be beneficial sometimes, we try to limit such to a point where it does not conflict with too much.

We wish to cultivate a sense of cooperation, drama-free interaction between those with a common goal in mind bringing their talents together in an intelligent way.

Many of our events are comprised of investigation, combat and general problem solving, but we also hold Wisdom Weaving events often between, and minor flexible events through a mission board style system.

These minor events are usually small, do not require too many people and can be done at literally any time, with any DM, with mere guidance from its’ mission board entry and creative freedom.

We are not usually interested in things like RP-PVP campaigns, but we are interested in the diplomatic side of things. There is a potential we may be interested in things like peace talks, or even attempts at diplomacy between Horde and Alliance, as futile as it may be it still makes for interesting RP.

We generally do not use a roll system, instead we rely more on a turn-based emote system that takes logic and timing into account more so than numbers. We aim for more narrative events, with more emphasis on story telling and player decision making than flexing ones’ power.

Wisdom Weaving is a style of lecture Azmira specifically holds which is usually aimed towards a specific topic regarding magic, natural phenomenon or even of a philosophical nature.

Though we are currently doing so much in the public scene, we do intend to potentially start sharing our Wisdom Weaving lecture and knowledge seeking events outwardly to others of both factions.

How to join us:
Simply contact Azmira through whisper, then if I am able to actually do so, I will stand by for you to approach me and undergo a small IC interview to evaluate your purpose in the Order.

The interview will evaluate four things:

1. Your skills
  2. Your attitude
  3. Your purpose
  4. Your methods

Code of Conduct/Rules:
Below you will find one of the more important aspects of the guild, our code of conduct, both the IC and OOC version apply, a more detailed version is soon to come:

IC Code of Conduct:

1. Never be needlessly cruel or relentless, for such is only a last resort.
  2. Always respect magic and never abuse it for selfish purposes.
  3. Respect those in and outside of the Order, for you represent both you, and we.
  4. Remember that we are a neutral order, but we must not be complacent.
  5. Uphold your values, but respect others’ as well.
  6. Never be afraid to seek out knowledge but be careful in how you apply it.

OOC Code of Conduct:

1. Be respectful of your fellow guildies and those outside of the guild.
  2. Banter is fine, but try not to go too over the top with it, trust and consideration go hand in hand.
  3. Try to be careful with head-canon, and balance lore accuracy with creativity as much as you can.
  4. Do not be afraid to voice your opinions but always be respectful of others’ as well.
  5. Do not seek conflict with other guilds, guild drama will not be tolerated. Be it within, or between a member and another guild.
  6. We encourage interaction with the public, and interaction between and outside of major events.

Thank you for taking your time to read. I hope this thread has given you a good idea of who we are, what we do and why, be it you’re interested in joining us or interacting with us.

For more information, an ever updating Q&A will be posted below.

15 Likes

Welcome to the new forums! Best of luck with finding any New Blood, and I’m sure we might run into one another, eventually ^^

3 Likes

I recommend the Order wholeheartedly! Azmira hosts excellent study/discussion events with a lot of thought put into them, and the OOC atmosphere is friendly, if a bit silent nowadays. But hey, that’s exactly what we aim to fix with this thread! :octopus:

2 Likes

We are currently in character in Stormwind. You can most likely find us wandering around or send Azmira a poke in whisper of you are intrested.

As promised, here’s the Q&A all set up for more info on the guild.
Q&A:

>Why is it called the Astral Order?

We’re not just there to understand the magic on Azeroth, we are here to understand the magic in the universe.

We are not just here to protect the world, but here to protect creation. We want those with us to see beyond the horizon.

A single star might be bright, but several form a pattern. We want people to understand how all things interconnect. We need dark spaces just as we need bright stars.

>What is the Order’s view on blood magic?

It is viewed more like a maligned form of magic, to better understand its’ place in the web of magic.

Its something to be studied and used correctly, to be practised with extreme care and caution, used for good causes as opposed to dark causes. We do not have a prejudice against any form of magic, just some like void magic, necromancy etc. needs more caution.

Blood magic is seen like any other form of magic, as long as its’ researched with care and caution.

We absolutely don’t want to discourage study of dark magic, but we do not want to encourage the wrong kind of study. If we do not understand it, we cannot defend against it.

>I’m a non-magic user, do I have a place in a magical guild, what place could I possibly have?

Non-magical people often have the correct methods of solving non-magical problems, while also being able to help non-magical people understand how to solve magical problems even when they have no access to it themselves.

They are to help ground us in reality, to help remind us that magic is a gift, were it not for them, we would not study it so.

Fundamentally, the guild is open to all individuals as long as people are willing to understand magic, its not the practice we wish to encourage but the education.

We absolutely want to understand the non-magical perspective, if we can avoid the use of magic, we should, to help preserve resources and prevent potential future problems.

We want to remind users of magic that not every problem can be waved away with an application of magical force.

Words, ideas, non-magical application of things, martial prowess and practical tools can be just as effective. Be you a diplomat who is silver tongued or someone who can wield a blade, or even an artisan of a craft. You don’t even need to be a fighter.

They are the lifeblood of the guild. A city like Silvermoon doesn’t run on magical users alone, after all.

> What does being a ‘neutral’ guild actually mean for the Order?

From an obvious technical standpoint, due mainly to OOC restrictions, the Order tends to appear Alliance-leaning in where they operate and the members we host

However, this is a surface level observation and the true IC nature of the guild is that the Order holds no political or military allegiances that sway who is helped, aside from being actively opposed to those who pose a deliberate threat to Creation

The Order does not participate in the faction war on any side, unless aiding in peace negotiations, providing medical aid or dealing with the fallout of warfare. Our goal is to protect the world from conflict, not participate in its perpetuation.

This also extends to interactions with non-Horde and non-Alliance groups, such as the Argent Dawn, Cenarion Circle and so forth.

The Order’s allegiances are to the Order and protecting Creation. Functionally this means the Order is open to accepting members from any faction background.

As long as they share the beliefs of the Order and are willing to commit to the unbiased goal of protecting the world and wider cosmos from all true threats.

It means that the Order focuses on operations, missions and events that are not rooted in military regimes, political hostilities or direct warfare unless against a cosmic-level threat like the Legion or the Old Gods.

Obviously we are an Alliance-based guild from an OOC perspective, but we are more than open to cross-faction events and role-play where functionally possible and are happy to host members using Ally toons to pose as non-ally races where logically acceptable.

There are obvious complications that will be faced going forward as a neutral organisation, but the Order is prepared to meet them with logic, diplomacy and reason to maintain a stance of neutrality. Neutrality does not mean we break the law on a whim, it does not mean that we choose a side that is most convenient in the matter, the Order is not a mercenary organisation.

The Order is committed to the goals of research and education into the full and responsible usage of all forms of magic to the betterment, protection and preservation of Creation and all its inhabitants.

The Order IS opposed to threats against the sanctity of Creation and those who would abuse magic to the harm of others.

The Order is sworn to protect the Cosmos from all forms of magical and cosmic threats to the best of its ability.

Being neutral means focusing on these priorities above any political or military allegiance, seeing past race, faction or belief systems to unite in these common goals.

> My character is based on a Horde race, how can I be in the Order?

The Astral Order is absolutely open to characters role-playing all races, regardless of faction origin (even ones not represented fully in-game like half-orcs, as long as they are done with respect to the lore and to a reasonable standard).

Functionally we recommend that X-faction members utilise both a character on the appropriate faction and a proxy on the Alliance that is rped as the represented race

Obviously this will create some scenarios which will require careful thought and navigation, such as a Tauren rper logically not being able to openly strut around SW just because they’re using an alliance toon proxy (unless they’re utilising an appropriate illusions spell).

We’re not here to encourage espionage or any activities that are focused on hostilities between faction, we’re only open to non-alliance races to fully represent our neutral nature.

We’re not here to encourage espionage or any activities that are focused on hostilities between faction, we’re only open to non-alliance races to fully represent our neutral nature.

We ask that members from a X-faction perspective rp with restraint and logic, respecting the lore and political boundaries that they would obviously face. Members with Horde toons will be freely allowed to declare themselves members of the guild in their profiles and we intend to make full use of the upcoming community features in BFA to better facilitate x-faction members.

For those wondering if we are going to host a mirror guild on the Horde, this is an unlikely prospect for the foreseeable future, due to concerns of management and such a concept truly being able to provide the benefits it is intended to.

Though this is still an option we will keep ourselves open to considering if the community features being introduced are not satisfactory for x-faction members. It must also be noted, that regardless of OOC faction origins, all members of the Order are expected to maintain a NEUTRAL stance and act as neutral characters.

> Am I allowed to be in multiple spheres or switch spheres within the Order?

Firstly, as long as there is a good reason to do so, members can switch from one Sphere dedication to another.

Secondly, members are not permitted to be in multiple spheres in most cases, as choosing a sphere is about choosing how you will dedicate to the guild and the specific duties and studies you focus on.

However, it must be made clear that this does not mean members are forbidden from activities that fall outside their sphere responsibilities and focuses, quite the contrary!

We completely expect that members of each sphere seek other spheres for joint ventures, cooperative projects and overlapping research. Instead of being in multiple spheres, you will instead interact with the other spheres on a project-by-project basis. It just means that overall your focus within the guild in what duties you do, for the most part, is dedicated to one sphere over the others.

4 Likes

I assume the only way to run into you is to be in Stormwind? My character does not really have a way through there, but your OP seems interesting. While I do not want to join, I’d like to interact; if no other way is available, I would like to establish an IC letter communication, or something more on the magical side. Would this be possible?

3 Likes

Not at all, you can come find us in person, search for us wherever we may be at the time! ANd yes, you can send us a letter too. I’d encourage you to come find us when you can and arrange a meeting.

With my character being a bit busy in the Plaguelands, perhaps I could arrange a meeting over mail. I’m just not sure how it would reach you if you’re traveling a lot. Where would I send it IC? Do you have a headquarters?

We don’t have an official HQ but we are in Dalaran, so you can send it there. :slight_smile:

I tossed you a letter in which I assumed it was accessible knowledge that Azmira is the current Stellarian - if she is. If not, then entirely dismiss that part of the address or correct Vildred’s mistake. I’m sorry if that’s the case; I may have been a bit too hasty with my assumption.

1 Like

This is fine! And yes, Az is the Stellarian.

On that note, we’ll be back to doing events literally the first week of January.

1 Like

I joined the Astral Order almost a year ago and… I’ve just had the best time. Honestly the people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve had are really really awesome.

We have recently been doing some stuff with the blue dragons, and just last night we had an event, and I’m personally proud of this, where we actually didn’t go into combat just by default, we actually talked first … and the talking actually worked, we disbanded the group and set them free.

With the campaign in Desolace concluded, the Astral Order continues on it’s own way, but we are still seeking new blood!

Had an amazing time interacting with the Astral Order, hope to see more of you out in the world soon!

2 Likes

With the Astral Order back in Dalaran, we are once again on the move in Azeroth, doing what we do best. I’d like to thank my members for being so brilliant. <3

wiggles voidily

1 Like

If ever needed wisdom, Azmira has plenty, seek her out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking of Wisdom, the Astral Order will be performing it’s 3rd Public Wisdom Weaving session on the 2nd of May! We’ll be talking about Magitech (Magical Technology).

3 Likes

Don’t let the inactive looking thread fool you. The Astral Order is still very much going, its players just ain’t the most active lot on the forum.

So if you’re intrested in it, you just need to get in touch with Azmira to get into it all.

Also, we have gote memes, alot of them.

2 Likes

We are now approaching the end of a large story-line! But we are still active, still recruiting, and this 13th, we’ll be doing a Wisdom Weaving event publically in Dalaran at 20:00! See you there :goat:

3 Likes