Rogues and locked chests

It’s just usually common courtesy.

You’re working as a team to do the dungeon, rogues get an extra ability to help the team get a locked chest open.

Usually the items are junk in it anyway, but it’s usually nothing to have a major argument about.

Similar with regular chests, it’s just a courtesy usually to roll for them.
No rule with it though.

1 Like

I’ve always felt like chests locked or not, are to be rolled for out of common courtesy, but the lockboxes has always torn me. I’ll keep greeding on them as I’ve done thus far!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never seen a rogue roll need on a lockbox tbh lol.

I think a lot of them want to, but choose not to as the backlash is worse than the green bracer worth 49 silver. All i know is that i greed, and expect them to let me open it if i don’t get it myself!

I doubt people invite me - or any other rogue to open locked chests, but they just wanted a random dps for dungeon.

In TBC the chests used to have some really nice items in them such as gems for sockets If I recall.

Being a rogue I would clock these chests throughout the dungeon run or say I couldn’t open it because I am not trained in the art of lockpicking then once the dungeon run was over I would go back and lockpick them for myself.

Rogues’s gets priorities on chests not stupid people who cannot lockpick everyone knows this!

1 Like

I never knew this was a thing.
Never been with such a group that greed was more important than a fair fun run.
Guess I’m lucky…
Interesting that it seems most rogues who only open if they can have are alliance.
Guess that’s why I’ve been ok…

Well I absolutely agree on a personal level (I always offer a /roll to any locked box) It’s interesting to play devils advocate sometimes, so let us discus!

The locked box can only be opened by a rogue, however the hunter and a rogue both use and equip guns and bows. Of course the hunter would see far more use but the rogue can still equip it regardless. However the box remains locked and the loot goes nowhere, had the rogue not been there?

What a sad mentality to have, so since I’m a mage I am only entitled to my own water and shouldn’t share with the group? Or I can spawn some boss for the group and all the loot is therefor mine.
Be more open minded and better to others, don’t be so ego centrist.

However, the box would remain locked with the rogue not being there?

It goes both ways.

You could only get to the locked chest due to the group.

Lockpicking is a class utility. Mining or gathering are professions you can also learn. If you are a skinning/leatherworking rogue, like many, you do not have to share your skinned hides from dungeon mobs either right?

Not an easy one if you look at it as a matter of principle. But I think the right decision is to unlock the chest and have the group roll for the content simply because you value being nice to people more than the value of the content of the chest, which will be more or less useless few levels down the line.

4 Likes

As most people said, it’s a matter of mentality…
As long as you are clear on the beginning with either you roll or you claim or anything at all then its fine.
From my point of view if someone has the attitude of “i claim this” or “i unlock so i take” i won’t let him have it, but if he says “lets all roll” i would gladly pass so he takes. It’s just my attitude towards unselfish players.

1 Like

Never heard of blacksmiths and Rogues having priority on chests before.

Usually when we find chests in dungeons, and we have someone who can open the chest if it’s locked, we all roll.

They are right. You have no right to the chest whether you’re a rogue or a blacksmith. My main is a blacksmith and if i have keys (Which cost nothing to craft really), i open the chest and we all roll.

It is a class ability. Blacksmithing is an actual profession where we spend money and/or invest far more time into it than you, running around lockpicking footlockers.

That’s your problem. You only see it from your perspective.

2 Likes

What a terrible mindset to have. I guess you also solo all the dungeons cause otherwise the others put in as much work as you, leader even more for forming so hey maybe his loot?

Pritty sure i know why this thread came about

Was running an rfd last night, rouge rolled need on a lock box and as a result so did a preist in our group, lucky he did cause it contained a blue, gtfo if you think your entitled to a box just cause you can open it! Everyone needs gold and if that happens again ill be rolling need to cause why not? Id hapilly pay a rouge in trade to open it so to hell with ya, also blacklisted the rouge in question too

1 Like

Also made said rouge rage quit too was kind off funnt xD

If it’s locked I’ll alwayss still roll for it with the group personally.

That’s a different kettle of fish. I’d never need on a lockbox. Lockboxes are fair game for all. In my opinion anyway.

I’ve never rolled Need on a lockbox as a rogue (or a warrior with blacksmithing in my current case). People tip rogues to pick the locks on those boxes anyway.

Imagine you’re in a group and a lockbox drops - everyone rolls Greed because “damn, there’s something in it”. Then when someone else wins the roll he asks you “heyyyyyy my fren can u unlock dis?”

Sure… for a price ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And that’s what being a rogue is all about.

2 Likes