Rogues and locked chests

You really do have to love the rogues mentality of “I am the only one who can do this so I am the only one who can have the chest”. Your locking picking skill is a utillity, just like a mages Int buff, a priests Stam, Spirit Shadow Resistance buff or a Druids Mark of the Wild. Do we have to buff you ? No. At level 60 we have to purchase reagents ? Do we demand you pay us back ? Of course not.

When running around questing and a rogue asks me for Stamina buff, I just buff them. Do I ask them for some silver for the drink I need to use to get mana back ? No.

Sadly this pathetic attitude of “It is mine so no one else can have it” is invading the game like an invasive cancer. The old attitude of “it is a group effort, we all worked for this” is sadly dying. If I were in a party and a rogue came out with the rubbish spouted here, I would either leave group or kick the rogue.

5 Likes

Some rogues, there are also friendly neighborhood rogues!

1 Like

Rogues are completely free to solo dungeons for all those locked chests if they so want.

But whenever one is doing community content with multiple party members, your class utility is also their utility to use, because you work as a team to reap the rewards. You’re not entitled to one person rewards for multiperson effort.

Nobody actually cares about random herbs and ores that you can find from dungeons because they’re very common outside dungeons too and that’s why those are not rolled for. And only the person who leveled the profession can gather said materials and leveling said profession not only takes time but also raw gold to buy the ranks. I bought the profession and used gold and time to level it? I reap the rewards as the extra because I’m using something outside of my own class utility.

Locked chests that can contain world drops, they aren’t common and the boe drops that they may contain are even more rare. Lockpicking is not easy to level up skill… but it is free, it costs no money to level it up if you choose to not buy locked boxes from people, aside from traveling costs. Even gathering professions cost gold to level up. Heck other class utility costs far, FAR more gold than lockpicking ever will. Some even got reagents. Warrior tank bills for one dungeon outweight the silvers you might need to use when traveling to train lockpicking skill. Unlike professions, you don’t choose not lockpicking skill when choosing a rogue as a class and you only pay the initial couple silvers to learn it.

If you can bring your class utility to the group at no cost but time and effort, you don’t get to steal profitable loot from party members because they also bring their utility to the table which costs time, effort and gold. Rogue is not entitled to the party effort gold.

It costs me money to train highest level water and food I can get every next rank. Do you feel like you should be able to take part in my class utility? Then better get to picking those locked chests and rolling like a good member of the team.

It’s ridiculous we’re even having this conversation. Lockpicking is a class ability and it’s part of the utility the rogue class brings to the group.

1 Like

Every single dungeon I have done, the rogue have opened the chest and everyone have rolled. And that is how it should be. So what you are saying is, warlocks don’t have to summon anyone, mages don’t have to give water, and no one has to buff anyone but themselves? And lastly; if you die, no one resses you. And the warlock puts SS on himself. Lock the topic.

1 Like

you dont have priority, talk with the grp about how you want to do it.

Just claiming it is you being an ahole.

Rogue should take it.

People talking about - ooh I’m mage, I craft food, so I have to charge u for that, or Im healer, I wont heal u, and if I will, I get the loot.

Rogue actually HAVE to waste huge amount to level lockinpicking, it is same like third proffesion, u have to level up it, do u have to level up your blizzard skill? yeah u have, for 2g at trainer, WOW, it is should be really hard, isnt it? I think it jusr rogue lore(fantasy class,skill w/e u call it) rogue breaks lock and gets the rewards. What ppl dont understand here lol ? if ppl want me to open chest for them, I wont even open lol. Open your self then xD
p.s. Why we even inv rogue to party if we can inv other ppl? Go for it, inv. Not a big deal.

Dude, summon is a skill, water making is a skill, learned through TRAINER, and lockpicking YOU have to LEVEL UP, it is like proffesion. U fill me?

Wow…
First of all, leveling lock pickign is really takes a lot of time. Yes it is free, so is your herbalism or skinning, 10g for 1-300 is nothing. Druids/Priest/Pala buy reagents? Wow thats great, warrior pay for repair bills? Wow thats great. Rogue should craft poisons also, so what are you talking about here?

I do not really see reason why someone should get this loot, you would not ask someone with mining to give you ores just because they are in instance, or skiner give hides?

True, so true, if 2 miners are in group, they roll, same as 2 rogues, they roll for locked chest, but if someone mines thorium and gets crystal, I wont say -* OOHGOHOHOHHH WE ROLL FOR THAT CRYSTAL MAN, WE ROLL boy, without us u would not get that crystal man !1111.

Ppl are so …

Unlock and open the chest. Take what you really need and let people /roll for stuff you don’t need.

So dont level rogue if you cant handle the class requirements then?

I assume you charge your party for the 55 water and food as well? Since those require a quest and a rare drop for the food.

How long time is a long time?

Because according to comments from wowhead dating back to 2007, 160-260 lockpicking took the guy only 2-3 hours and the first 75 levels are apparently a breeze. Many lockpicking leveling spots are congregated into a very small area where you don’t have to run across the whole zone in circles searching for nodes.

Obviously the last levels are going to be far more difficult and more time consuming, but that’s the same for every skill.

So I win, you want me to waste my key, while you could just click your ability? It’s like mage who does not want to press his ability to conjure a water for healer.

No, it’s not a huge amount of time. It’s not even an average amount of time. We even get stuff while doing it, so not even close to a waste either. Claiming there’s an “effort” behind it when there’s a personal incentive in the process itself of leveling is trying to bend reality. And I’d done it twice already before Cataclysm made it automatic.

2 Likes

Locked chests inside a dungeon if able to be opened by the GROUPS rogue/blacksmith should be solved with a good old /roll, if you choose to play a Rogue, you have utilities and duties in group activities, locked chests aren’t yours because you are playing a specific class, Its not like a Druid will ask you to pay the reagent fee to battle ress the tank.

Feeling entiteled to have something because you bring a group utility to a group activity is just silly, and either way-- what you should do is lockpick the chest, and loot the ‘‘random items’’ for yourself, while letting the group roll for any green or above value items from the chest, that is the furthest I am willing to stretch your logic behind group activities in an MMORPG.

In my experience we all roll and rogue just unlocks it. Whoever wins roll gets it. Just because you have a class ability doesn’t mean you have a right to it. Mages don’t refuse giving food and drink to party members that can’t make their own.

Yes, without the rogue the box would be wasted - and same can be said for the extra dps that the bow could provide in the hands of a hunter :wink:
The issue is, of course, that the rogue might not care s*** about the hunter’s dps in future dungeons, unless they’re friends or guildies.

As for the box remaining locked - it would also remain locked, had the hunter (and the rest of the group) not helped the rogue to reach it.

Actually, all the sweet goodies from anywhere in the dungeon would be ‘locked’ if not for the entire group working together to get it - that’s the basic idea of a dungeon in the first place. Team play.

2 Likes

If only one person can open the chest, the chest goes to that person based on the simple fact that the chest would never open if that person wasn’t there.

If multiple people can open the chest, the roll is between them only.

That being said, it is good practice to give any BoEs to players that will significantly benefit from them.