So I mined WPL, EPL, UnGoro & Silithus at 9AM Server Time (Firemaw)

I completely circled all 4 zones from point Alpha to point Omega.

Yields:

-9 Thorium Ore
-6 Dense Stones
-5 Mithril Ore
-3 Solid Stones
-5 Truesilver Ore
-Zero gems of any type.

I did not see any other players whom I judged to be miners. There weren’t many players around anyway at 9 AM server time.

Mining is a waste of a profession slot.

I see 3 possibilities here:

1. Blizzard have failed to adjust the node spawn rates upwards to account for the hugely increased population of Nostalrius-like Megaservers such as Shazzrah,
    Gehennas, Firemaw.

2. The spawn rates of Thorium nodes is abnormally low.

3. There are bots at work which mine thorium nodes 24/7 and they are able to operate underground and mine nodes from beneath the map. (I first became aware of this exploit back in WOTLK as I watched, through hunter tracking, a player I could not see move unseen and mine nodes unseen).

4 Likes

You were just unlucky mate.

2 Likes

My memories of mining thorium are that it has always been an absolute pig to farm, and this is from a time when it was no longer even the endgame stuff. Isn’t option 1 just the obvious explanation? We’re always being told that spawn times and so on are unchanged from vanilla.

Spawn rates should stay as they were in Vanilla. That’s the game we are trying to recreate.

3 Likes

If you mined Un’Goro from A-Z I’d say Thorium is way too low. I had a Dwarven Hunter-Miner in Vanilla - early TBC, and she had more Thorium (and a few gems) from a single round of Un’Goro than this.
I remember the underground miners from her as well. But I can’t say if they are at it again or not - they also moved abnormally fast to the best of my memory - or you’re just unlucky, or droprates at 9am sucks, or what happened.

Did you clear all the bug caves in silithus? I see tons of nodes down there, too weak to go for it tho

I farm RTV in EPL, that’s how I got 6 arcane crystals for the epic Cap and have like 2-3 crystals in the bank. Plus the less usable azrothian diamonds.

In ungoro STV can spawn all over the place, not worth it if you are after only the nodes. RTV can spawn next to the path to Blazerunner or around stegodons. Got some of that when I was farming devilsaurs.

Winterspring seems to also be all over the place with semi consistent RTV spawn in Elite giants area. Lucky if it spawns next to the lake.

In short mining requires getting used to and working out repeatable consistent loops.

You play rogue, the best way to make gold is to pickpocket BRD.

The feeling when you finally find either STV or RTV either one only gives you 2 ores… Pretty sure Rich should give at least 4 mining attempts instead 2?

A stupid person - or a bot not yet geared for Classic? mined it before you arrived?

Yeah, I did check both the Ape Cave and the Bug Cave in Un Goro.

I found nothing.

Either there was a Phantom Miner whom I never saw literally 2 steps ahead of me mining everything minutes before I got there, or node spawn rates in the Megaservers are out of whack.

Imagine, I am mining for Thorium since Sep 15 or so and I have mined like 50 Thorium total and 1 blue gem.

So should server size then. Being in a megaserver is a much more noticeable departure from vanillla than retweaked respawn rates.

7 Likes

And so like there are not other players with the circuit maps for nodes that run around these areas 24/7. I recall the days of doing same and it was just so painful. These guys know the spawn rates and just work the circuits.

Anyway I am sure you know the trick to mining and have the circuits pinned to your monitor. And sorry but my guess is there was a real clever dood just ten clicks in front of you all the way.

By the way the BIGGEST challenge that you will face in the game is always other players trying to do the same thing as you. Thinking you are special and the only one doing anything is pretty foolish. All it takes is one more like minded player doing the circuits and you won’t see anything. And that applies to every single thing you do. Classic is by far the worst version of the game when it comes to competition and players… also helps if you can fly. But you are quite a few expansions away before you can do that.

At 9 AM there was hardly anyone online in the server. Zones were empty.

I get that there might have been a Phantom Miner ahead of me whom I never saw stip mining everything in 1 zone or 2 zones, but I am just not buying that there are so many strip miners all across the world in 4 zones at 9 AM strip mining everything when there’s hardly anyone playing in the server.

Except it should be adjusted for population.

Assuming we have the same gatherer/consumer ratio, we don’t know how different populations then and now are. If servers are larger and nodes are the limiting factor because they are farmed frequently enough, you have the same amount of thorium (or other stuff) for more people. That’s not the game you want to recreate because suddenly certain resources are more scarce.

Well, thats incredibly huge sample size. Very accurate results.

3 Likes

What i remember from vanilla. Ungoro was packed with thorium ans mithril veins.

U sure no1 had taken the same routes just before you?

1 Like

I have been mining for Thorium since Sep 15 (or so) when I hit 60, and I have mined so far 50 thorium ore and 1 blue gem.

Try epl, go between fungal vale and noxxius glade, swing by pestilent scar. You will pass 3-4 rich thorium veins in those three spots.

I dont really think there’s enough detail in this. How many hours were you mining for? Did you ever change clock direction?