So it looks like exploiters keep exploiting, no bans happening. Look how nostalrius managed exploiters. Bans happened

Why would you trust Blizzard when they have been caught lying through their teeth many, many, many times?

I want an legitimate, actual reply to this

2 Likes

The technicalities are a bit weird here, here’s the thing;
The layers are not like retail layers because 1. They’re server local. You will not get layered in with people from other realms.

The amount of mobs spread around all of the layers on the servers are based on the total amount of players playing on that server and is spread among all the layers, so let’s say there’s enough players in the game to spawn 100 of mob x and there’s 4 layers.

This means there’s 100 of mob x on the server, 25 per layer
The real issue is that players are making different layers accessible to themselves but generally, all mobs they kill in another layer in the open world are mobs takes from the total amount of mobs on that server, it doesn’t magically create mobs out of thin air.

That means that even if you do jump layers to farm more of one specific mob there is then you’re not killing a fresh batch of mobs, you’re killing an existing batch of mobs in a different layer on your server

The exception to this is dungeon layer exploits for obvious reasons, but technically speaking items from the open world are as rare as they’re intended to be if what I described above is working as intended.

I think it worked that way atleast

What about the actual, legitimate criticisms that people brought up about classic?

Blizzard remains silent as a fish about any actual, real, legitimate issues that classic has

5 Likes

It is easy to track individual people exploiting bugs when even Nostalrius, one of the biggest Pserver communities, only has a few thousand people online at one time. Blizzard ramps that number up at least 10 maybe even 100 fold. Face it Classic WoW is bigger and better. There are also a number of technical differences between classic and nostalrius, where nostalrius used single servers per realm whereas Blizzard has multiple layers on each realm. Classic WoW is many times more complicated than nostalrius (which lets face it, is a glorified mod of somebody’s personal representation of Vanilla rebuilt from inaccurate data).

Tracking a few thousand people is easy, probably 1 or 2 developers could do it. But tracking hundreds of thousands? that would need a team of people just to find out who is abusing the exploits.

people botted to 60 on nost. no repercussions.

threads like these should get deleted asap and the op gets a few weeks/years forum vacation.

Very dramatic, uther

Blizz got 9999999x more resources and money.
What you trying to tell?
Big company struggling more then small one? Its more then opposite mate.

1 Like

Clearly it is rocket science for you otherwise you woudn’t have made this post.

Your understanding of layering is correct to an extent, but the implication is that layering then becomes a requirement for optimal play, the most impactful thing a player can do, probably outweighing things spec, gear, etc.

It effectively adds a new mechanic that’s completely alien from vanilla, to a recreation that was supposed to be as faithful as possible. There’s no other change that comes even close in terms of magnitude.

You can argue that it not be punished, but I cannot see how someone can argue in good faith that hopping layers on purpose is a anything other than an abuse of a feature that was supposed to work solely in the background.

Which brings us to the ethics of the whole thing. Turning a blind eye on all the ways layering was abused becomes an endorsement for future exploiting.

“Exploit early. Exploit often” was confirmed once again.

4 Likes

isn’t exploiting at all.

Yeah sure wait 5 sec instead of 3, 15 or 45 mins for a resource to re-spawn, is a intended behavior of course, totally obvious.

5 Likes

I think we are going to have to accept that as long as Classic Realms continue to have the enormous player numbers that necessitates layering they will remain funservers and not Vanilla servers.

No, we don’t have to accept that.

They could have just launched vanilla-sized realms with no layering, but hubris from the devs prevailed, who wanted to leave their personal mark on Classic and thought that everyone was going to flock back to retail once they realized what just how bad vanilla was.

We thought we wanted it, but we didn’t, remember?

3 Likes

I already explained why this isn’t exploiting in this thread, feel free to scroll up and learn what it takes for something to be considered an exploit in this scenario.

You think you did, but you didn’t.

2 Likes

Your explanations mean nothing.

The game was originally designed the way that player have to wait a certain amount of time before kill again the same mobs or pick the same resource, it’s part of the core that introduce scarcity / economy and create some interesting social experience in the nearby area like PvP for resource control.

The authentic experience was never designed with / for a non-RPG mechanic in mind like network congestion.

6 Likes

Non of this changes ANYTHING regarding this being exploiting or not.

No it doesnt you are quite right.

It is still and always has been an exploit.

I have no clue why you keep defending it other than you do it.

Layer hopping is an exploititive method to gain access to resources that shouldnt be accessible at that time.

It is cheating.

2 Likes

I believe it is ‘What are you trying to say’

And what I am trying to say is, given the scale of the project which Nostalrius was, they did good at producing their idea on ‘vanilla’. However, Blizzard has solved many bugs and overcome many technical challenges that Nostalrius, or any other PServer, have not been able to overcome.

I don’t see a big company ‘struggling’ at all and I am not sure where you got that Blizzard are struggling from because they aren’t. OP used a single video has evidence of ‘how great nostalrius were at catching exploiters’ whereas in comparison to Blizzard they are a tiny little homebrew project. One of these editions is a buggy and inaccurate mess, and the other is the best rendition of Classic we have seen since Vanilla. Pretty obvious which one is which… ‘mate’

Keep reporting all layer abusers when they ask for invite in chat.
I have reported over 50 people so far, and i do even double reports when they spam the chat.

4 Likes

That won’t fix anything.