Souldefler's story and raid. HUGE Walls!

Chapter 1. Beginning of the end.

Synopsis. Souldefiler, a former Death Knight of the Ebon Blade has become jaded over the years over what she has come to think of as being unrewarded and unrecognized for her efforts since the events of Light’s Hope.
While wandering between the islands of Zandalar and Pandaria she lands on an isolated island. Landing her craft she explores this strange new land. Her two companions Emily Bolsin and Deverra accompany her.

They find a temple hidden by the undergrowth. Souldefiler tells her companions to make camp for the night while she explores the temple. She returns, silent but thoughtful.

“Is there something wrong Soul?” asked Deverra. “No… No… Actually, I don’t know. I found something strange. This.” Souldefiler held up a large red stone which seemed to beat gently.

What is it?" asked her two friends. “I… I’m not sure. But I have seen the likes before. Do you remember the glacier in Icecrown where that little boy told me the tale of how Arthas finally shed himself of his heart?”

“Vaguely… I heard rumours of how you were lost in dreams and visions and came back with some kind of artifact. You gave it to Fordring if I recall…”

“Yes. We took it to the citadel to learn more but… we never had the real stories. Just more ends to tie up. All I know it was somehow Arthas’ heart that he discarded when he fully turned. This is somehow similar. I too lost my heart, in a more figurative sense, when my brother left our home to start his own family so many years ago.”

“It filled me with such a feeling of power… and something else… I don’t know…”

Emily peered at it. “It does look like a heart…”

Souldefiler whispered “Yes… doesn’t it…” Emily and Deverra exchanged glances and Emily leaned over gently. “Maybe I should look after this…” and put it in her pack.

That night they slept fitfully under the stars. Only the crackle of the slowly dying fire could be heard over the soft sounds of sleep coming from the party.
Except for Souldefiler, her mind was a maelstrom of dreams and memories of a life long gone.

She remembered Elwynn. She saw her family going to Stormwind to see the parade of the soldiers.

She remembered the stories her father told her as he sharpened his sword, she and her brother sitting enraptured by his tales of the orcs and how he fought endless battles.

She remembered playing with her brother fighting the orcs. All her life before she fell victim to Arthas’ Scourge flashed in front of her. Suddenly she awoke, her mind racing like the icy cold that ran through her undead limbs.

“Mine!” she screamed, and ripped the stone from under Emily’s head. “I know what this is! It’s my heart, finally I can feel love like I once did!”

Woken by the scream Emily and Deverra were now on their feet, holding their weapons to defend themselves against attack. All they saw was her friend on her knees, with her blade in front of her.

Her hand shaking with a maddened smile on her face, she took her sword and opened up her chest and placed the rock inside. But with nothing to hold it, it fell to the ground.

“What has she done!” screamed Emily as she threw herself at the side of the now prone death knight. Souldefiler was motionless, not even cold breath coming from her lips. “She’s… gone” whispered Emily as she looked up at Deverra who now held her hand against her mouth.

But then Souldefiler began to write to and fro. Crying in pain she rose to her knees, ignoring the blood that ran down in rivulets on her armour. “I understand now what that boy told me. I was blind at first. Now I see why Arthas did what he did. but I will not make the mistake he did”

Still clutching the stone in a grip neither of her friends could break, she plunged it into her wound. The wound sealed as if by magic, and a red glow took hold of her. She fell to the ground screaming.

“Hold her down!” yelled Deverra Hold her!!"
“I can’t.” grunted Emily as she struggled to hold Souldefiler down. “She’s too stron…”

Souldefiler rose in the air despite all the efforts of her two friends. Rising like an angel she hovered above them and slowly lowered herself to the sand.

Now I understand she said. “Oh how blind I was to my glory. I should have seen this while I was being used by lesser people back on Azeroth. I freed the world from the grip of Arthas. I fought and killed dragons! I fought for the Pandaren against the very darkness they kept hidden for centuries. I destroyed the Burning legion! "

“AND FOR WHAT! FOR WHAT! NOTHING! NO STATUES IN STORMWIND HONORING ME NO GARDEN IN STORMWIND NAMED FOR ME, NO MONUMENT IN ORGRIMMAR FOR MY HONOR! So be it. I will make them remember. I will make them love me. All who refuse can burn. BURN! Leave my island forever, never come back here or I will kill you as easily as I slaughtered thousands before.”

Deverra cowered in fear. “Souldefiler… what have you done… You have stepped down a path not even Arthas dared”

Souldefiler knelt down and in a soft yet malevolent voice. “You keep saying that name like it should concern me.” She raised her chin up with her finger. “It does not. I killed him and replaced him with another. I can do it again.”

Souldefiler then gave in to every injustice she felt had been given to her. Rage and anger fell upon Deverra like a storm, her broken body soon lay at the feet of Souldefiler. Standing over the remains Souldefiler bowed her head and turned her gaze to Emily, stricken with fear. “get up wretch” sneered the death knight “and make this interesting.” She kicked Deverra’s sword over to her, a new resolve sprang to life in Emily’s heart.

Survival.

“If you kill me Soul… Grant me a burial. Do not raise me as one of your minions as you did to countless others. Do not defile me as you did them. As you did her” She glanced over to the body of Deverra.
“Both of us deserve more”

“I can promise you one thing.” said Souldefiler, as they circled the body of Deverra, yet never taking their eyes off each other.
“I once was a Death Knight of Acherus, of the Ebon Blade. Now I am Souldefiler, Queen of this island, and soon to be of Azeroth… Azshara. Sylvanas. Jaina in her own way, All sought to be Queen.”

Emily raised her sword and pointed it at her former friend, now foe.
“And yet they all failed.”

“Indeed they did. I stopped them. Ahh but jaina? She still harbours a great secret. I alone know of it for sure, and she will serve me or I will reveal it to all. Malganis was not the only master of deception. But she can wait. For now no one is here to stop me. Not even him.” She raised a finger to the sky and slowly paced around the body between them, never taking her eyes off it.

Emily dropped her head and sighed, tears falling.

“You are truly lost. I can help you no longer, nor can I can be your friend any more Pamela.”

Souldefiler stopped and turned her head to stare at Emily. With a voice harsh as the coldest winter she whispered

“That will be the last time you ever mention that name. Now. To the death monk!”

Darkness suddenly filled the island, and only the sounds of clashing metal filled the air.

Chapter 1. Stories over beers.

Stormwind. Old Town. 5 friends are sitting in a rustic tavern as is their custom every year to relive old adventures and catch up what they have been doing since they last met.
Gia Malin the gnome, a rogue infamous for stealing hearts.
Bors Basa, the hunter, famed throughout Azeroth for his taming prowess, rivalling Rexxar himself.
Twill the ranger, esteemed throughout Azeroth for her skills with the bow.
Senna the draenei shaman, who healed countless injuries and finally
Punicilla the paladin, or as her friends called her, Puny the Elf. diminutive in stature, yet a stalwart in valour.

“Late again Gia. Another escaped romance?” as Gia sat down with a grunt.
“Not entirely. At first anyway.”
“Oh this should be good” laughed Senna as she ran a finger through a bowl of corn, her fiery fingers making them pop.
“Well? Come on…” said Puny.
“I had a strange meeting with a fellow as I was evading a rather enraged husband.” The party rolled their eyes and Twill muttered “go on…”
“It’s true. I was ducking into an alley when i bumped into a man carrying a large sack. The sack burst open and what was inside fell out. I tried to run on but something… told me to stop. I turned and saw him look at me as if he was telling me to stop. Everything seemed to melt into shadow. After a few seconds I was alone with the man.”
Senna looked at Bors “Thoughts”
“Almost as bad as those stories Soulie used to tell us about her being so beautiful. At first I thought she was just messing but at times I think she actually believed it. I always told her her vanity and sense of entitlement would come back to haunt her.”
“Oh her!!” yelled Twill, seemingly in a deep sleep. “Anyone know what happened to her?”
Puny twisted slightly in her chair as if something had bitten her. “No one knows. She went off exploring with her two friends a few years ago. No one has seen them since.”
Gia laughed “Hah. Probably living together in sin eh Sen?”
Senna narrowed her eyes and flicked a burnt popcorn niblet at him “Shaddup and get on with it”
“Ok Ok… Anyway as I was saying this man then took me to his home. I have no idea what was going to happen, even less idea how I got there. We talked for hours. He said he was looking for some people to help him find his long lost sister. said he would pay well. I said I knew some folks so here we are. A lot of gold in it.”

With varying levels of acceptance, they agreed to visit the strange man and hear his proposal.

A lonely house in the Woods of Darkshire

“Here we are. This is where he said to await him.” said Gia.
“I am cold!” whispered Puny, shivering visibly.
“Oh by the prophet” laughed Senna. “Need a fire?”
“No we need a snowstorm…” muttered Twill.
Fire burst from the ground and the group hurriedly found some branches. A bow twanged and a wolf yelped it’s last. Supper was ready when a figure made it’s way to the house.
“You shouldn’t make a fire so brazenly” said a voice. “You never know what it will bring” It was extinguished and a soft light filled the area.
“Are these the ones you said could help me gnome” as the figure arrived and slowly drew back it’s hood.
“Yeah they are. This is Puny… Twilly. Senny and Borsy. I am Gi…”
“Their names are unimportant right now. This is all that matters right now.” Throwing down a heavy sack, it clinked as it hit the ground.
“Errm… how much is in there?” said Bors.
“Enough for all of you. Come inside. I have a tale to tell.”

Inside the 5 friends all sat round the table with a mug of Stormwind ale looking at each other wondering when the man would stop staring at the fire and explain himself.
“Well?” as Bors. “Any time now would be good.”
The man turned, his face now fully uncovered.
Senna gasped. “Prophet’s tentacles, it can’t be! You look like… our old friend!”
“Nah. Can’t be. She’s long dead. probably froze to death eh Puny?” as Gia dug an elbow into his friend’s side
“Done?” grunted Punicilla. “If you are I’d like to hear.”

They all relaxed and waited for the man to begin.

"I grew up in Elwynn. My parents and my sister. When we were of age to learn swordsmanship we would train for hours. In our play We would fight the orcs. We would save Elwynn from the worgs of Blackrock. We would save our farm from the murlocs.

He stopped and looked out the window.

“Then one day our mother died. A few years later, our father. We were of age to make our own way in the world, but we chose to stay in our family home until such time we found family of our own. I found mine first, and after many a long talk my sister gave me the blessing to start my own life. I kept in touch with her all the time until she enlisted in Stormwind’s army. I lost contact with her after she was deployed to Lordaeron. At least. What remained of it.”
His voice dropping to a hoarse whisper his face seemingly pained “No news came of her. I feared she was dead. Then the news came. She had fallen in an attempt to retake Stratholme from Rivendare. When I asked if it was possible to have her returned for a proper burial I was told that the Scourge have complete control of the area. All you can hope for, is that the Silver Hand mages, got to her with fire before the Scourge could.”

Silence filled the room except for the soft crackling of burning wood

“Yes. Evil times” said Gia. I remember doing things in that time and place i don not wish to relive ever again"
Senna as silent.
Twill now having lost her sense of mischief, asked the old man if he had ever thought of finding his sister
“No. Not for a few years” he replied. “Even if I did not have my own family to watch over, I am but one man. My sister was always the better warrior. If she fell to the Scourge, so would I. And she would not have wanted it.”
“But I sense you went some time later anyway” said Senna peering over her mug as she brought it to her lips."
“In a way. In a way…” he muttered. “I knew my own strength alone would not be enough. the Silver Hand would not help, they were too thin and their numbers were dropping every day. now there are few left, and what remains are now known collectively as Argent Dawn.”
So what DID you do?" asked Bors.
"I joined the Scarlet Crusade. While I never fully fell into their zealotry, their influence over me was strong, and their leaders like Abbendis had intoxicating charisma. But I never lost sight of the real reason, and that was to find my sister. So I went with them to the Eastern Plaguelands and with them, I built, and lived in the Scarlet Enclave.
Then Acherus appeared in the sky. We thought it was just another of the Scourge’s flying necropolis’, but this was different. We could feel his presence above us, always watching us. We prepared as best we could, but soon the Death Knights of Acherus came. They slaughtered us, they slaughtered the civilians. they butchered countless beasts to make their undead chargers. With cunning they destroyed our vanguard at the ships. They rampaged through our stronghold, releasing a great champion of theirs. And when they again used cunning to fool us into revealing our plans for Northrend, I saw something.
Everyone was now listening intently. Even Twill was enraptured.
“I saw a Death knight who outshone all the others. It was a maelstrom of death and destruction, it’s power seemed limitless. The Lich King himself was seen to give it orders directly, such was its prowess. I truly thought this one knight would utterly destroy us all.”
Indeed before they came to finally destroy us, I was one of the guards who watched “The Messenger” come to Abbendis. As he rode past I felt a strange chill of recognition. I knew that messenger from somewhere, but not as a messenger of the crusade.
Then it hit me. Finally, it dawned on me, who the invincible knight was, who the seemingly favoured champion of the Scourge this was. And I said and did nothing to my fellow crusaders, as I knew they were now doomed and they would likely kill me, as is their wont.

A long pause followed as old memories of battles against Arthas and his Death knights filled everyone’s thoughts.

"At one point this one seemed invincible as if Ner’Zhul himself would finally achieve his purpose. the man continued.

You know a lot of what happened " said Senna “I now see what the others probably can’t. This Death knight. was your sister.”

The old man slowly regarded her. “Yes. it was. My sister, who I had come to find, was now a champion of The Scourge.”

He paused and turned to the fire again, not looking at anything in particular.
“She completely decimated us atop her wyrm. All I could do to save myself was pile fellow soldiers who were now dead on top of me to protect me from the savage blasts. Ballistas all around me shattering as if they were made of twigs. Believe me when I tell you that it was a mercy to be hit an ice bomb, rather than be shredded by shattered ballista.
I still hear her voice now, changed forever but still recognizable as she yelled in triumph as she broke us. Then she flew off, seemingly sated with our blood. I clambered out from the wreckage, and with great peril made my way to safety amongst flame and blood. I fell unconscious and was saved by the newly formed Argent Dawn. I asked them what had happened to the Death Knights, and they told me Arthas had betrayed them and they were eager for revenge.
I asked about the champion knight and gave a description, and they confirmed that she was alive and had taken the name Souldefiler given to her by Arthas as a token of defiance… I had assumed she had died in the battle prior to the Betrayal, and I joyously accepted their news that far from it, Souldefiler had braved Acherus and retook it for her new order.
They asked me if I wanted to help their new order but I said no, my purpose was fulfilled and I went home. Soon tales began to reach us of Souldefiler and her battles. We heard of how she defeated the Lich king. We heard of how she defeated the harbinger of the very end of the world itself. We learned how she traveled to a distant long-hidden land and saved it from itself. We learned how she traveled through time, we learned how she and others stood in defiance of the Burning Legion and ended its crusade. And we learned of how she stood against the Old gods once more and overcame madness.”

All 5 now nodded their heads in agreement.
“Yeah we were all there, we all shouldered a heavy burden. In fact, we all knew your sister, it was our good friend Souldefiler.” said Gia.
“Wait a minute!” cried Puny. “Is that why we are here? You want… Us… To find her… Don’t you…?”

The old man turned to face them.

“Yes. Yes, I do.”

Chapter 3. Brothers and Sisters.

Synopsis
The 5 friends and Souldefiler’s brother who has given the name he wishes to be known as, Gemellus. They have chartered passage on a ship headed to Ratchet from Stormwind. They have paid a generous amount of gold to the ship’s captain to sail to the coordinates Gemellus has given the captain. After safely navigating the maelstrom the seas begin to calm once more and the crew prepares for the remainder of the voyage at night. Everyone is having a meal before bedding down for the night. After their meal, all except Senna and Gemellus retire to their bunks. Senna asks Gemellus what has been on her mind since that night in his house.

“Gemellus, I wanted to wait until we were alone. You were not wholly frank with us.”

Gemellus looked up from his platter, a faint smile flickered.

“You see far. As a shaman should. But yes you are right. I was not wholly truthful. I have learned over the years to be wary. Many traps have been laid for me, and I have not escaped them all without cost.”

Senna waited for Gemellus to continue. “Since I returned after Light’s Hope I lived my life as I had hoped it would be as a married man but such was not my fate. I had been gone long, and when I returned my home was empty. My wife and children had moved on. I blamed them not. In my quest for knowledge of my sister I had forsaken them and they, in turn, forsook me.”

“I waited like a fool, hoping where there was none, that my family would walk up the path to our home, the children laughing and running ahead, my wife calling on them to be careful. As time grew on, the hope dwindled until it became a fantasy. And then a strange thing happened. Two members of the Argent Dawn came to me saying that a Death Knight had come down from Acherus asking for news of a family who lived in the outskirts of Redridge. My heart rose and I asked them if they could describe her as best they could. They told me what they could and I knew it was my sister. I told them to direct her to my hamlet where I would await her pleasure.”

“Three days later she arrived at my door. There were no tears from either of us, I was too ashamed and she was changed. No longer was she the carefree girl who ran around waving her wooden training sword. Now she was full of purpose and great deeds followed her name. She asked me of my life from the day we last parted, and I told her all that I told you. She seemed not to care about my joining the Crusade, she seemed more interested in where my family had gone. When I told her I knew nothing, she asked me if I would like her to try and locate them when she was on her travels. Now that she had found me, she would relay any information she discovered to me through her contacts.”

"I could not find the words to thank her enough. Then she stood up and told me she must take her leave, as she was travelling with friends to seek a part of her missing life as a mindless undead soldier under the Scourge. When I asked her how she became a Death knight she simply said “I was better than the rest”

“Then she mounted her steed, a strange skeletal wyrm that seemed to form out of strewn bones whenever she raised her hand. Then she flew off and I have not seen her since.”

Senna sat thoughtfully before finally asking “Can you tell me what she was wearing? She usually wore the same garb no matter her situation…”

“Yes, she wore a strange armour made of a metal I was not familiar with, nor it’s strange azure hue. All I can say is whenever she came close it was as if the very warmth of my blood was stolen away and seemed to invigorate her. I have never felt anything like it.”

“I have” replied Senna “It is a strange power that certain Knights possess… it gives them strength when leading others into battle.”

“it is called Blood Presence.” said a new voice, startling them both. The voice was Gia’s.

“As Senna said, it is a power that is terrible to behold. Few can survive the rigorous training required to fully master the Blood presence, and not succumb to its allure”

“Did she control it?” Asked Gemellus. “or did it take her?”

By now all were awake. “Heh” grunted Twill. "Now we are answering the questions. Yes, she was very skilled in its power, She was skilled in all the Death Knight Arts. She wielded the power of blood as a demon wields the fel, few could match her skill. She mastered the art of undeath, or unholy as it’s sometimes called. The art of disease and pestilence to decimate her foes, and the art of resurrection to reanimate those fallen as her mindless yet obedient servants.

Bors’ voice lowered “But her true skill is in the cold icy touch. She can freeze a heart still with but a breath. She uses that power most of all”

Gemellus looked at all 5. “What of you Punicilla… What do you have to add?”

“Nothing” came the reply. “I give her no mythical standing as my friends do, I simply saw her as a friend who was strong in her art. That is all” Punicilla got up and walked out to the deck, Dawn could be seen in the distance as she closed the door behind her.

“I see they have history…” said Gemellus as he turned to face the party, all now seated.

“Yes. During our struggle against the legion, one of her tasks was to reform the Four Horsemen. They tried to resurrect Tirion Fordring in the paladin stronghold at Light’s Hope. The paladins, already smarting at the defeat of one of their greatest, did not take… Kindly. To such a brazen attempt. They fought with Souldefiler and her champions and drove them from the Chapel. They have never forgiven her. Puny certainly still bears a grudge, though it has lessened as of late after Souldefiler apologised and begged their forgiveness. Although she never renounced her title of Death Lord. She reveled in it when she would visit Acherus and was greeted in such a way. A small step from lord to Queen I guess” said Bors

“LANNND HO!!! ALL HANDS TO YOUR STATIONS!!” came a hoarse voice from above them. “It is time. let us prepare”.They all retired to collect their belongings. Their packs were secured in a skiff and two Kul Tiran sailors carried them to the strange island on the horizon. They paddled to the shore of the island.

“OK yer here, now gerrout, we ain’t stayin here for any longer than we have to. All ships avoid this place. Strange t’ings be 'appenin…”
They unloaded their packs and got ready to make into the island.

“This place is… strange,” said Gemellus, looking up and sniffing the air. “I sense we are being watched…”
“Probably just some local critters, by the looks of it we should find lots of them, the land teems with life”
“Certainly not a place I would expect to find a Death Knight or anything connected with one” said Senna. “Perhaps the spirits can shed some light…”
“Go ahead” replied Gia as he unsheathed his daggers and inspected them. “couldn’t hurt.”

Senna arranged some incense into a pile and lit it. Soon smoky tendrils filled the air, calming all their spirits. Senna sat still deep in trance her mouth speaking unheard incantations. Then she awoke with a start. “She is here. Not far, yet somehow distant. It is very strange.”
Suddenly Twill turned sharply and unleashed her bow. A thudding crash echoed through the undergrowth, birds flew into the sky shrieking and unseen beasts scurried to safety.

Puny drew her sword and made her way into the undergrowth. Before her lay a prone figure. “It’s a troll!” she cried." Are the Horde here?"
“I doubt it” said Gemellus. I saw no sign of settlements. And this one serves no Horde. Look…" Kneeling down he turned it’s head to one side. “These are strange markings” said Puny. I have never seen such markings on any of my troll allies.
Now all 6 were huddled down looking at the corpse.
“This mark here is old.” said Senna. I sense it was… a druid. It definitely bears scars of feral. But this mark is very strange. Almost… a healed wound. Can you see?" She ran her fingers over the troll’s chest where small patches of fur could still be felt.

“Ritualistic?” asked Gia. “We all know how the trolls love their rituals and other mumbo jumbo. No wonder they love shamans and druids.”
Senna ignored him and gestured Gemellus down. “what do you think?” she whispered in a voice only he could hear. “I suspect he was raised from the dead. If Souldefiler is here, she has been busy with enemies who fell foul of her”
“I think you’re right” he replied. “We should be cautious.”

He stood up again and looked at the sky. “This is indeed very strange. Not over 4 hours have we been here and already night draws in. There is strange magic at work here. We should camp here and set the watch. Hopefully, we will not be disturbed.”

Night deepened. Bors was restless, something did not seem right with the camp. He kept turning his head to look at the encroaching jungle as if he expected hundreds of undead to suddenly appear. Finally he could stand it no longer and stood up, wrapping his cape around him. he made his way to the fire and bent down to throw a new branch on when suddenly his very breath seemed to freeze in his lungs. He gasped loudly and coughed. The others awoke and jumped up with weapons now drawn. Standing in a circle around the fire they stood guard, waiting for what had come to disturb them.

“Well. isn’t this a surprise” said a gentle voice. “Now why are you all here standing like lost sheep on my threshold? Did I miss a party in Stormwind or something?”

“SOUL!!” everyone cried and all gathered around her. “Dammit girl what’s the idea scaring us like that?”

Souldefiler flashed them a grin and swept her hair behind her head, it fell around her trademark twin wielded Slayers of the Lifeless sheathed on her back. “Well you know how I like to keep you guys on edge. but why are you here?”

“oh OH YEAH!!” said Twill "This guy Gemellus here is looking for you. He’s your brother. I never knew you had one, and… To be honest…? " she sidled up to Souldefiler with a mischievous grin “I still don’t think you do” she whispered before going back to her sleeping bag.

“I do have a brother.” said Souldefiler. “So you came here after all. Even after I told you not to. I’m still glad you did. it has been so long.”

“Indeed my sister. Too long.” They embraced for what seemed an eternity. “Come on” said Puny. “let’s leave them. They need to talk and we can think about going home. While I have enjoyed seeing you all again, i fear the war between the Horde and Alliance will soon have us fighting again. Only each other.”

“Pfft” snorted Gia “I’ll just stabby stabby and Bors can shooty shoot you while Senna healie heals us”

“And I’ll bubble stone leaving you to shoot thin air you ridiculous gnome” retorted Punicilla, rather testily and hand on her sword hilt. Gia hopped up and started to draw his daggers.

“OK OK that’s enough. Let’s deal with that when it’s time” said Twill, for once the voice of reason. “Let’s get some sleep before we head home. Not exactly the adventure I was hoping for, but… OH… We still… Get paid…? Right?”

“Yes” said Gemellus. “In the morning when we depart I will tell you the location of the other half of your payment.”

“OTHER HALF?!” they all cried in unison. Oh we’re going to have a great time in Dalaran. Soulie you must come!"

Souldefiler laughed “Yes yes I’ll be there. Just no more drinking competitions, I always win and it get’s bori…” grunting with pain she collapsed on one knee holding herself up with one hand.

They all rushed to her side.

“Are you OK?”

“Yes I’m fine… Some wounds never heal.” she whispered

“Let me look” said Senna and came to her.

“NO!!” replied Souldefiler sharply, making them all jump. “Thank you but no, Senna, I’m fine. Now please, leave me with my brother for a while, we have much to discuss.”

The 5 friends made another fire and had their meal while Souldefiler and Gemellus retreated to another part of the shore. After their meal and some wine the 5 friends once again felt sleep overtake them. One by one they all dropped, Punicilla last of all. Before sleep took her she glanced over to where Souldefiler and Gemellus were deep in conversation.

“I still cannot find it in my heart to forgive you death knight. For what you tried to do, and what you did do to some of my Order. I hope I never grow to hate you, as only one of us will survive our battle. I promise you”

Restless sleep finally overcame her, and the all too familiar screams of her fallen comrades once again came to haunt her.

Chapter 4. “And she walked to them with outstreched hand…”

Synopsis. Souldefiler has finally been found, and after reuniting with her brother Gemellus the 5 friends are now ready to go home. Long into the evening and still no sign of Souldefiler and Gemellus ending their conversations, the 5 prepare to bed down for the night.

“Well I for one can’t wait to get back home.” said Twill. “This has not been the exciting escapade i was led to believe.”
“Yeah… Could have been worse though. Remember that time we had that fishing competition in my Garrison on Draenor and we ended up fighting that huge murloc?” said Gia, glancing over to Bors and Senna.
“Hmmph.” grunted Senna. “All I remember is being pulled into the water, nearly drowned by a huge mrggle mrggle while you and that hunter over there laughed so hard I thought you were going to throw up”
“You should try that in Frostfire Ridge” said Puny. “You get pulled in there you get toasted alive. Imagine it. And the little gnome screamed hot hot hot in that squeaky voice!”
Gia rose to the bait. “Oh look it finally cracked a smile! What, did you mistakenly drink a potion of humour instead of your usual potion of bitterness?”
Now it was Puny’s turn to get angry. “Be silent tiny tears Or I’ll roll you into a ball and throw you for the crabs.”
“OK OK enough!!” yelled Twill. “Enough.” yelled Senna getting to her feet before re composing herself. “It’s getting on and we’re tired. Let’s go to sleep and sail home in the morning. The ship we chartered will be making its way back and we need to be ready. They won’t hang around.”

By now Souldefiler and Gemellus had finished and were now making their way towards them. “So you’re leaving?” asked Souldefiler.
All were now soundly sleeping except for Puny who had woken when she heard the crunch of their feet. Gemellus lay down apart from the group and was soon asleep.
“Yes we are leaving tomorrow. The Horde and The Alliance called back their champions to discuss matters. I fear war is about to erupt again.”
“A never-ending cycle, I grew tired of it.” said Souldefiler. “Part of me wishes I could march into both capitals and just wipe them all out. Sometimes I wonder if Sylvanas had the right idea with Teldrassil”
“That ship has sailed” replied Puny now sitting across from her.
“Look at me Soul” Souldefiler lifted her ashen face and met her gaze. “Soul, I never truly forgave you for what you did at light’s Hope. Even though you came to me claiming repentance, I never fully trusted your word.
I am a paladin, a champion of the Light, sworn to uphold justice and protect the innocent. Before the Scourge took your life and remade you hardly anyone knows of your past. Gemellus told us some stories, but he never explained why you took the path you did. Why did you suddenly leave?”

Souldefiler sighed and drew her gaze over the horizon.

“I have seen many things that would be seared forever into the memories of the living. I have done things I regret. Some I do not. I performed great deeds for the King of Stormwind, I performed great miracles for your Horde, freeing them from Hellscream’s grip. But never once did I feel like I was given the respect I was due.
I will not presume to guess your motives, but knowing you as I do I would say they were different.” her voice grew softer and Puny felt she heard a slow menace creep into it.
“Many things I have done. Many people slain. Empires toppled. Worlds saved. Even our own. And yet I lost everything and gained nothing. Except for a few baubles and some worthless titles.”

Puny drew closer. “Look at me Soul. Pamela. Listen to me. Open your heart to me.”

Souldefiler again matched her gaze. “I killed them Puny. I killed them as easily as I speak to you now.”

“Who…? Who did you kill?”

“Emily… Deverra… I slaughtered them. And I felt nothing while doing it.”

Puny backed away, her hand still holding Souldefiler’s. “But why? What purpose did their deaths serve?”

"Because I needed them. I needed them to be the first of my new Order, the Devoted. And this reason is why you, are all here. You cannot leave this island. Not alive. She removed her hand from Puny and began to rise to her feet.
“Allow me to show you something paladin, it will give you a glimpse of the future I will bring to this island, and soon, Azeroth.”

Souldefiler rose to her full height and a black mist formed around them. Puny whirled around, looking for her friends. All she saw was blackness, with piercing eyes all focused on her. She tried to call but no words came. Panic began to set in and she reached for her weapon.

“Now that would never do, I cannot allow that” came Souldefiler’s voice from the blackness and with a wrench her weapon was ripped from her hand. “So this was your plan you monster… to lure us here. I tried to reach out to you, and this is how you repay me Pamela?” shouted Puny as a screaming wind began to pick up. Sand from the beach whipped and twisted in the air, forcing her to shield her eyes with her palm.

“You were always a weak Paladin Punicilla. I should have killed you at your worthless chapel that day. No matter. you would, and you will, have made a worthy Risen”. Souldefiler suddenly appeared through the sand, her swords drawn. She did not run to Puny to attack, but seemed to walk slowly, full of purpose. In her eyes was a mocking smile, she slowly raised her left arm and pointed the edge of her blade to Puny.
Puny felt her throat tighten and her breath came in shallow gulps. She was dying, her very throat being crushed by unholy forces. “Before I kill you” Souldefiler whispered “I want to you to see what I will show Gemellus, when the time is right. Behold the vision of why I sought out his family”

Time slowed to what seemed an eternity and a vision appeared through the haze. Puny saw Souldefiler tear apart Deverra. She saw her final battle with Emily. Tears began to form as she saw Souldefilier deny Emily’s request, and she raised them both. Then she saw Souldefiler ride to Redridge. She saw her ride to the house where they had spent the night with Gemellus. But Gemellus did not open the door, but a young girl, no more than 12 summers. She looked upon with horror as Souldefiler cast a blight unbeknownst to the girl, and told her to seek out her brother who had hurt himself picking apples. The young girl ran off to find her brother, only to infect him with the same blight. Crying in pain they fell to the ground, and life left them. Dismounting she walked over to them, and committed the most heinous crime Puny had ever seen. She raised the children and commanded them to seek out their mother. As lambs go to their mother for comfort, so did these lambs go to their mother, but not for comfort. The screams from the house dwindled as Souldefiler leaped back on her horse, and rode into a Death Gate.

“Do you see now?” asked Souldefiler. “They meant nothing to me. You mean nothing to me. This world.” her grip tightened. “Means.” And tightened. Then there was a hideous crack and Puny was gone “Nothing…”
Releasing her grip Puny’s now lifeless body fell to the ground. “Now you will serve me forever my devoted Champion. Arise now, and be known as Darkened Justice!”

Raising her sword the lifeless body began to tremble as unholy energy coursed through it. With an ear rending crash, the corpse arose and roared in agony. Then it fell to the ground on its knees and a new voice came from the lips of the former Paladin.
“I am Devoted to you my Lady, command me!”

The sound had woken everyone with a start. Everyone now stared at the moment of horror that was before them. “Oh… I think we… are… in. trouble” whispered Bors.
“They haven’t noticed us” whispered Senna. “They seem transfixed on each other. If I recall the amount of energy Souldefiler uses to raise someone as strong as our former friend is taxing. We can either rush them…”
“Are you serious?!” hissed Twill. “We should be getting out of here!”
“Let me finish” whispered Senna “We need to move. Now. Before she sees us.”

But Souldefiler had already seen them.

Countless shrieks now surrounded them. “What is that!” yelled Gia, panic and terror now taking hold.

“Voices of the dead Rogue!” boomed the soft yet evil voice of Souldefiler. “They come for you. There is no escape for you. How shall you die, and how shall I raise you I wonder. You will all make fine champions of the Devoted.” She turned her head to look at them. Suddenly a frigid wind began to form. “Run.” Cried Bors. “RUN. Do not even dare to look ba…” And they heard no more from the hunter.

And flee they did, as the screams began to get louder and louder. Rushing footsteps could now be heard, crashing through undergrowth. “He’s gone… Gone!” yelled Twill, panic now fully in control. “I have to get out of here!” turning to run she ran straight into the arms of an undead. “pre…tttty…” wailed the walking corpse, its lank hair obscuring its features. “Back you disgusting filth!” shouted Gia, pushing the corpse back which fell with a gasp. Jumping over it they ran through the thicket, an ever-growing sense of dread following them. Suddenly Senna gave a scream and she was yanked back into the following dark, her outstretched hand in one last pitiful gesture before she was gone.

Now only Gia, Twill, and Gemellus remained. Running on, they came to a clearing. Stumbling forward, they scrabbled on the ground, the sharp rocks biting into their hands.

Cursing as the rocks bit her, Twill looked down, and gave a shrill cry. “By the Sunwell!” Jumping up she quickly pulled Gia up and with a white look of terror whispered “do not look down at our feet…”

Gemellus whispered “Listen. They have stopped following. This will give me time…”

“Time?” Yelled Gia “Time for what? And get your hands off me Twill!” wrenching his hand free and losing his balance. crashing headfirst into what he thought was at first rock, he quickly pulled himself up with a look of horror. “Oh curse you Souldefiler. If I could wipe you out of existence with a thought I would do so now and not feel a shred of remorse you monster.”

“Be quiet” said Gemellus. “I need time.” raising his staff to the skies he chanted a strange incantation. Light began to fill the area, and revealed the piles of broken bodies and bones they stood upon. “I can’t bear to stay here, do what you must and hurry.” wailed Gia

The voices rose again. Souldefiler’s voice boomed through the wood. “First Punicilla. Then Bors. Now Senna. All now serve me.” She stepped into the light, Puny came alongside her, her eyes burning with desire. “Let me take them Mistress. my sword yearns for blood”

Bors then appeared on the other side “No… Allow me! I want to test their resolve” notching an arrow he prepared to shoot. “NO mistress! It should be my honour!!” screamed Senna, and shape-shifting in a ghastly distortion of her wolf, its eyes blazing red fire, it’s mouth dripping foam and blood. She crouched as if preparing to leap.

“Oh but how eager you all are!” exclaimed Souldefiler joyfully. “Truly my Champions of Devotion.” Turning to Puny and Bors she motioned them to kneel. Senna in her wolf form sat on her hindquarters at her mistress’ feet.

“Brother… why do you resist me. You know what will become of your friends. Of you. Here. A gift.” She threw a ring into the circle and it circled to a stop. Gia picked it up

“What’s this you absolute scum?” he demanded.

“Ask the one who brought you here to me. Unwittingly, of course, he did so with the best of intentions.”

Gia turned and showed the ring to Gemellus. Still chanting his incantation he looked at the ring. Then his voice began to fall away. Dropping his hands, the light faded from the circle, leaving only a small pool of red light at their feet.

“What is it!” shrieked Twill, her mind now gone forever. “No more no more!” and with a cry she ran off in the darkness. A hideous howl shattered the sudden peaceful calm and only the screams of Twill could be heard before silence.

“Only you and the gnome remain brother. nothing will save you now.” The shapes of Puny, Bors and Senna surrounded them, slowly circling. In the darkness the sounds of tearing and ripping could be heard, followed by a scream that chilled the blood. Then there came a hideous laugh, and the form of Twill followed Souldefiler, bent over holding her strung bow aimed at Gia.

A deadly quiet now fell over the area. Gia looked around him, panic starting to take hold. Twill gave a crazed giggle and raised her bow, preparing to loose an arrow. With a hand Souldefiler reached across and pushed her bow down. Twill, still cackling, leered at Gia licking her lips.
“tasteeeeee…” she muttered.

Gia could take no more. “I will not allow you to defile me as you defiled them! I choose when to die!” Plunging his daggers into his belly his life was gone.

“I was looking forward to cleaving off his ridiculous head” whispered Puny. Looking down at the corpse of Gia with her arms crossed, dark smoke rising from her back.

“Enough.” said Souldefiler “You have work to do. Prepare to leave for Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Garb yourselves as champions of both cities. No one must know of your true mission. Get them ready for my coming. But Bors. I have a special task for you. Give this to Jaina Proudmoore.” Souldefiler dropped a small trinket shaped like a demon’s head into his outstretched palm. “She will not say anything to you, or indeed anyone, and she will make no sign. But she will later ask you to meet her in private. When she does, say only this. Shalakazor. She will understand it’s meaning. Go and leave us.”

Coming into the circle she stood over the corpse of Gia. Without even pausing to glance downwards she clenched her fist and the corpse began to decompose rapidly. Only the bones remained. Clenching her fist harder, the bones exploded. Crying a new spell, the ghost of Gia fell to its knees and whispered in an evilly cold voice “Mistress. I serve you with all my being” Gia then rose and stood beside his mistress.

Now only Brother and Sister remained.

“I am stronger than you brother. Do you recognize that ring?”

"Yes… " he whispered. “Yes I do. it was Selonia’s. A gift to her from her father on her wedding day”

“Indeed. Marriage…” said Souldefiler softly.

“Where did you get it. Have you killed her too.?”

“No, I haven’t. But they did.” She gestured forward with two upright fingers and two small figures came into the light.

“Hello father. We missed you while you were gone. Aunt Pammie has been looking after us. We were so ill but she helped us get better.”

Gemellus looked at them with tears forming in his eyes. then his glance hardened and he turned to the death knight, now standing with her arms crossed as if judging his worth. “I will not allow you to crush me as you crushed so many others.” he thought.

Standing facing her directly he spoke clearly.

“Never did I think you could do such a thing sister. Even after all the tales I have heard. This is… an unspeakable evil. I feel nothing for you now. Do what you will. You can take nothing from me now.”

Unseen he rolled the ring in his hand, yet never taking his eyes off the Death Knight.

Souldefiler looked down at Gia who was fixated on Gemellus, eager to kill and please his mistress.

“Patience little one” she mockingly sneered. “I wouldn’t have you kill an unarmed man, one so worthy.”

She threw Gemellus one of her blades and with an evil voice “As I gave Emily a sporting chance, I give you one. You will die here, but I will not raise you. I will simply leave you for the beasts.”

Gemellus rose to his full height, threw back his head and laughed at her.

“You never knew, what this ring actually meant to me did you Souldefiler?” Now with a clear and ringing voice, he grasped the ring and yelled a spell. Gia leapt towards him, but in an instant he was frozen in time and space. “You cannot physically hurt me Souldefiler!” laughed Gemellus. “There is nothing you can do to me while I hold this ring.”
“You gave me a gift out of your own evil and twisted malice thinking to break me as you broke them. Already I am leaving this damned place. Do not try to follow me, you will not find me.”

“But I will find you. I will seek out your new Champions of Devotion, and I will destroy them as you destroyed those champions of Stormwind and Orgrimmar.”

“I shall destroy all you hold dear, as you destroyed all dear to me. And when I face you for our final battle. I shall not be alone. All of Azeroth’s champions, those still with us and those long gone.”

“All shall hear of your deeds this day, and we will return terrible retribution on you. Prepare yourself for reckoning Souldefiler. We will come for you!”

And with a blinding flash he was gone. The sword he was given by Souldefiler clattered on the ground. Gia broken from his spell, crashed on the ground “Owwww… that smarts. Now what!” as he looked around wildly.

Souldefiler said nothing as she picked up her sword and sheathed it with its twin across her back.

“Come. We have work to do.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.