The Tinker class - Yes, I want it!

With all the mech related content incoming, after all the mech related content in the past, my eager for a Tinker class in this game is increasing greatly. I somehow have a feeling it’s already in the works, but what do I know. I would just like to put out my suggestion for it, being one very eager about it(and I have never ever cared for new classes in WoW in the past).

• I’d like a Tinker to be a hybrid class, having a tank, healer and ranged dps spec. If possible, give it a melee spec too(4 specs like the druid), but we really do need another ranged spec.

• The Tinker should wear Mail armor, because we currently only have 2 mail classes in the game, and Mail would overall go quite well with the Tinker theme, imo(it’s metall).

• Pretty much any race should be able to become a Tinker. Why? View it as an advanced engineer. Anyone can learn engineering. Let’s just agree that that those who become tinkerers, understand engineering at a whole new level, allowing them to truly make use of mechanical and technical tools way above any ordinary engineer(this should btw have no relation to the profession itself, I’m just using it as an example as to why any race should be able to become a Tinker)

• For tanking I’d like the tinkerer to have a tanking form, much like druid bear form. However, it would have to be a mech suit(Obviously!). For CD’s there are various cool tools a tinkerer could use for it’s suit. It’s all pretty obvious(to me anyways), if you look at previously used mechanical spells in this game.

• Healing Injectors are also an example of a possible CD, for either tanking or healing purposes.

• For healing, I’d like to see a AoE healing spell that makes you take on some kind of flying device to move around above your allies heads while you shower them with your heals. This form should be tied to the ground even though you fly above it, for you to not be able to cheat ground effects while casting it.

• For ranged dps there are yet again various tools seen ingame already that could be used as inspiration. Heck, even have a flying machine dps CD? Turrets?

Even better if you were able to add a melee spec on top of it, even though I’d much rather have focus on ranged dps, considering we have a very melee heavy game at this point. A bomber type of spec .eg. could be a cool melee type of spec for a tinkerer, otherwise just add bomb tools for ranged.

I am just putting up a few suggestions here, not gonna go into every single detail of it, but I really think a tinkerer would be an amazing addition to this game, with strong lore references going way back to the beginning. All the lore references is part of the reason why I think a class like this have so much potentiall as a proper hybrid, and I’d suggest looking at how the druid has been built, for inspiration on how to take advantage of mehcanical tools in a similar way, without it just being a “mechanical druid”. I think it has potential of being a very unique and interesting class, and I really think there is enough content for it to be properly built into this game by now, as a very versatile and cool class.

I really hope it is already in the works, but the most important factors for me is that it will take on all 3 roles(tanking, healing and dps), that it does have a ranged spec, that it does that advantage of various devices and types of mech suits for it’s spell usage(across specs where it seems logical), and that pretty much any race can become one. Mail armor should also be a rather obvious choice for it to use.

Sorry about the wall of text, and sorry if I am totally off when it comes to other peoples wishes for a class like this. This is just how I would want the basics of a tinker to be like… (…just had an eager discussion about it in guildchat, for the XX time).

4 Likes

Yes please, I really want my goblin tinker with a mech to smash around in.

PS: at this point, I think if there were to be no Tinker class reveal this year that would leave a very sizable chunk of players disappointed.

I’d love a tinker class, but I don’t think it should be available to all races. IMO that makes classes feel less unique - The more races a class is available to, the more generic it has to be to cater to that wide range and the last thing I’d want Tinkers to feel is generic.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much all of this :slightly_smiling_face:. You would also have to make sure the DPS spec, being Mail and Ranged, is different enough from Hunters.

1 Like

Tinker would be great. But I just wonder what sort of expansion they would fit in. DKs, Monks and DHs were all featured in their respective expansions, I am not really sure how or where they could pull off a “mech” expansion. Or they missed their chance with Mechagon.

I guess Tinkers would be exclusively for Goblins and Gnomes, same as DHs for Blood Elves and Night Elves.

I guess you could get away with a Dwarf tinker, but what would be the Horde equivalent? Orcs perhaps.

I’ve had a similar discussion on this; Mag’har could work as the Horde equivalent, what with the whole Iron Star thing.

Although if you then included Dark Irons alongside Dwarves, you’d need a third Horde Race too, if you wanted to keep it equal.

I think Goblins, Forsaken and Mag’har Orcs, if it was 3 races each. Goblins for obvious reasons, Mag’har because as mentioned they were trained by goblins to develop their iron tech.

Forsaken more for the alchemy side of tinkering which would relate heavily to their healing spec and could also provide raid buffs. Especially as i see tinkers as a combination of the tinkers and alchemists from WCIII. It would also give Forsaken a new focus for their alchemy research after BfA as i cant see them being allowed to continue blight bombing everything in sight when the dust settles.

1 Like

Well, I was thinking that at first too(limited to gnomes and goblins), but the more I thought about it, the less it made sense to me.

Anyone can already pick up Engineering as a profession. While the profession should have no relation to the class, it can be an open door to allowing a character of any race to advance way past the low levels of engineering, and be a tinkerer.

For gameplay purposes, I also do think we need another option that aren’t very race limited, and I think a tinkerer would be a good choice for such a purpose, for the above reasons. We already “have them” available to any race, in the form of Engineering. They are all already fiddling with the same tech as would be a part of the tinkerer.

I’m hoping for a tinker in the next expansion. It might even have to do with the Mechagon storyline being a little more important than we think right now.

I would like to see the races limited to gnomes and goblins mainly.
Maybe dwarves, maybe Mag’har and maybe, if they turn out to be allied races; Mechagnomes and Vulpera.

What I would like to see is the character having a 2nd form basically (like worgen sort of); a form where the player character is on/inside and controlling a mech suit (so this would always be your combat form). The 3 roles can have different looking mech suits to clearly define their differences.
Would give a nice new range of customizability with the both the mech and perhaps some ‘body augment’ customization unique to the class.

3 Likes

Would be cool if all races can become tinkers and have race themed visuals.

There is an opener going on atm, sort of. Part of the reason why this sparked back up in my case is all the tinkerer related content already in + incoming. There could be more inside that door, making it it fit in perfectly.

Its called engineering

Ion said there won’t be any new classes 36 is enough for them to try and balance.

Tinker would be cool
In my mind they would be a DPS/Healer class with 1 ranged dps spec involving guns and turrets, a melee spec involving grenades and mines, and a healing spec that again uses guns but shoots healing darts and places healing beacons

They would wear mail armor, the ranged DPS spec would have ‘‘killzones’’ like demonolgy with the big aoe demon dude in PvP, the healing spec would have different turrents that dispense healing and boost peoples attack speed, like mini bloodlust, the healing spec could then ‘‘overcharge’’ its turrets or use a Ana nano boost on someone to be like a super-bloodlust of sorts for like 10 seconds

Omg Im so not into gnome technology , but damn am I looking forward to Mechagon , and its wonderous gizmos lol its like Disneyland for Gnomes

I think the Tinker race will become allied but won’t be a new class… the only flavour will be it’s racials.

If there is a tinker class that should be mechs Gnomes , Gnomes , Goblin and Vulpera :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Tinker wouldn’t fit the culture of the other races …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.