The weekly "Power in RP and how to get other people's consent for it thread"

A good read: On the Application of Power (in roleplay) by Dampierre

Taking discussion away from here:

10 Likes

Bahala Iā€™ve made you proud

2 Likes

So when do we start shooting Vulpera to turn Volā€™dun into our next exile zone? The Southfury River is getting pretty fullā€¦

1 Like

It turns out that people who RP blatantly illegal actions donā€™t like facing consequences for their IC actions, or understand that if you donā€™t wish to be executed, donā€™t RP being a traitor or heritic, etc. Itā€™s always how this discussion is. (Not saying this is what your group is doing, Rogmasha, just a general example. Really enjoyed the RP I got to have with your group, seeing as my time to RP Lil isnā€™t exactly in abundance right now. <3)

1 Like

dude i wish the server starts arguing about me right now

2 Likes

Very interesting stuff. I mostly skimmed through it because itā€™s generally common sense to me when I approach role-play.

If I had to tl;dr it, the bottom line is, power is a relative construct and openly adaptable to the observer in any given situation. In terms of narrative, there are circumstances where even a ā€˜brickā€™ might be able to kill an entity such as Deathwing, if the conditions are correct.

Itā€™s why I never take ā€˜omg he so stronk in rp so how do I fit in?? this breaks my immursunā€™ seriously. If someone is claiming they have a high amount of authority, itā€™s ultimately up to my character how they perceive that, and if someone is presenting their character as being able to lift buildings with a single finger, again, thatā€™s up to me how I approach that/etc.

Of course, ā€˜power levels and authority/etcā€™ donā€™t come up often in social RP or when they do itā€™s usually quite laughable. Your average bout of social RP in Stormwind can quickly lead to a punch 'em up between a furbolg and a demon hunter wearing bunny ears.

Iā€™ll be doing a thread on this myself at some point.

2 Likes

Hm based comment and not even paid for

10 Likes

that isnā€™t really a ā€œkind of OOC warningā€

A ā€œkind of OOC warningā€ would be to whisper the event hoster / Rogmasha to inform them of you and your guildā€™s plans. A bunch of people showing up unannounced, attacking during an event theyā€™re doing doesnā€™t sound like an out-of-character warning, but I know you might get the two mixed up / confused. :cow:

doesnā€™t seem v. hard to me personally to toss someone a /w before you bullrush into a bunch of peopleā€™s events and make a lot of people unhappy because it felt forced and awkward to be the recieving end of.

23 Likes

Authority wise, weā€™re cautious to ensure that weā€™re not forcing authority without peopleā€™s consent. My character is, objectively speaking, a Pretty Big Deal - Dark Ranger, Forsaken military officer etc etc etc - but if youā€™re not in the Forsaken military (and particularly not in his unit) he doesnā€™t have any particular authority over a given character, except what comes through roleplay.

Itā€™s always odd seeing people clearly giving my character credit for his position and then complaining that he leverages the authority that that position gives.

1 Like

Like, Iā€™m sure theā€™re a decent person in person? And they do a lot of creating RP (and drama :P) for AD.

Part of the problem, Iā€™m pretty sure, stems from the ā€œI donā€™t care what people thinkā€ attitude and over-use of memeing (And thatā€™s not aimed at any one person, this seems to be a group thing). Like, sure, you can do what you want. Just donā€™t say ā€œPeople are not being reasonable, omgā€ when there hasnā€™t been a respectful dialogue both ways? Itā€™s not that much of a leap to realise that, tbh.

Also, Rog is a saint and people do not deserve them :stuck_out_tongue:

24 Likes

I disagree, that sounds like a very clear warning, considering that FP is likely well aware of the rotgardeā€™s numbers. Even a certain outlaw altposter was more subtle than that.

1 Like

Legit. Thereā€™s a load of people here arguing on behalf of somebody who doesnā€™t even agree with their view. This has absolutely nothing to do with any of you and the actual IC situation has long since been quite amicably resolved - itā€™s quite literally jumping on the anti-Rotgarde bandwagon, and itā€™s embarrassing.

14 Likes

Your argument is sadly just rotten @ the core because you understand the AD role play as multiple, isolated instances taking place unrelatedly at the same time that need mediation whenever they could come close to each other

3 Likes

Perhaps people that werenā€™t involved in the whole ordeal at all should simply stop feeling the need to complain for the side they see ā€œwrongedā€ here when they themselves (in this case Rogmasha) doesnā€™t see an issue with it.

As someone from the outside of this whole thing, Iā€™ve seen the rebel RPers and Stygian Legion interact each other over several month, undoubtedly creating loads of RP for each other. Instead of using this as some kind of ammo (its not like they imprisoned the whole movement), only the leader that was wanted for the killing of a grunt was taken prisoner. They now have the amazing opportunities to escalate their Rebel RP from here or go any other direction. Their RP wasnā€™t killed at all.
Iā€™m sure if either side didnā€™t want anything like this to happen (which was really inevitable), they would have cut contact a long time ago.

OOC vendettas at work here once again. At least it looks that way.

25 Likes

Sometimes I wonder what the state of role-play would be like if we all just disbanded every guild and played together as individuals.

Or I dunno, people could just stop guild shaming?

5 Likes

People have been ā€˜ffs rottersā€™-ing for nearly 10 years now. Weā€™re used to it.

8 Likes

Rogmasha isnā€™t a thief, sheā€™s the leader of a clan. Weird analogy.

Well, the reason the grunts are after Rogmasha is because she was in command of a group that killed a grunt / hosted meetings that had anti-Sylvanas plotting (as per the war crimes book the leaders of groups are liable for their underlings on Azeroth? Gonna need a powerful loremaster like Telaryn to confirm, I havenā€™t read that bookā€¦)

You tend to be quite invested in roleplay / take it a bit personally and donā€™t really like setbacks so much - or thatā€™s what I take from your forum posts / that Ashiraya vs Uruk argument a while back

Itā€™s true that you didnā€™t react badly at the time in-game but I think you had a pretty quick OOC response in various chats that wasnā€™t mega pleasant

Sure it is - it is doing something IC with an OOC intention to fail / tip someone off both IC/OOC that there may be some kind of conflict coming

I wasnā€™t attending any event and Rogmasha was (I hope) aware that they were wanted & being actively hunted given the public wanted poster thread, previous conflicts, the OOC knowledge that some Rotgarde-affiliated guys had been snooping around

Yet I have seen you get into plenty of conflict RP and have never seen you send any OOC pms to confirm that what youā€™re doing is OK

Iā€™m not suggesting that I believe that thatā€™s what you should be doing, but you should probably hold yourself to your own standards

Not at all

I care what the person I am interacting with thinks instead of a paladin on the forums. Ultimately if I was PMā€™d by the target (if thatā€™s the word for it) of that interaction asking us to back off, we would have done just that

Itā€™s a little bit of a ā€œI consent / I consent / I donā€™t!ā€ meme situation

They can be a bit of a school prefect on discord but theyā€™re a fantastic roleplayer for sure

9 Likes

Uhā€¦ dunno where you got that from, but ok? ā€˜Weird flexā€™ I guess?

1 Like

:thinking:

3 Likes

If there wasnā€™t enough communication then that is regrettable, no one wants to ruin anyone elseā€™s RP.

However all this acting like this is one sided RP is frankly ridiculous, this whole rebellion plot has been a cooperation between us Stygians and the lovely Rogmasha and their Whiteclaws, Iā€™ve enjoyed it immensely and I hope the other side has too.

This was all done for the sake of RP, not to best anyone, or to act all powerful. At the end of the day we are here just to have fun as a community, like everyone else.

6 Likes