[Troll RP] Shadow of the Empires - 8 years of troll RP! - back in Zul'Gurub

Argent Archives page:  https://www.argentarchives.org/node/211390 

Founded in and active since 2013, the guild was originally named ’ Zandalari Empire’ after the Zandalari’s efforts to reunite the trolltribes. With the release of BfA in 2018 and the meaning of the Empire in this expansion, we found this name to be no longer suiting, and are now known as Shadow of the Empires !

We are still a troll-only for trolls from all tribes. We to aim explore the diverse, rich and sometimes clashing cultures and beliefs of those who are left of the great troll empires, providing an alternative for following the Dark Prophet Zul, the blasphemous traitor who treats the divine, sacred Loa as aids for his grab at power.

What is Shadow of the Empires?

Shadow of the Empires was formed by those who believe in the dream of seeing the trolltribes united once more, and wished to offer an alternative future to trolls who did not wish to join the legion of the Prophet Zul. They took residence within the walls of Zul’Gurub and began amassing trolls to the sacred city.

They came from far and wide; remnants of dying tribes, those disillusioned by their leadership and survivors of the losses that took place on Pandaria. Remnants of the once great empires began to grow and flourish, worship of the Loa central to the lives of all within the city. Their numbers are ever-growing as Zul makes more and more mistakes and the values of those who live under the Horde are threatened by their new leadership. Devout trolls flock to the Jewel of the Jungle and the steadfast servants of the Loa carve a new era in history.

OOC Goal

The guild has been active without hiatus since 2013 and above everything we wish to continue to provide a stable and active environment of non-horde aligned troll roleplay with a diverse mix of tribal life, Loa worship, combat, missions and voodoo!

The guild focuses heavily on individual character growth of the trolls within our ranks and long-lasting, personal plots where each troll has an opportunity to shine and work towards their goals. Both experienced and new roleplayers or those new to troll lore are more than welcome.

Ranks

Shadow of the Empires follows a general Zandalari hierarchy of power. The system is not as merciless as the caste system we see in Zandalar, however. Prioritizing the many Loa of the different tribes that risk being forgotten with dwindling numbers of trollkind, trolls are encouraged to grow to their full potential, no matter their previous experience or past.

Mystics. Those of the mystical inclination are generally of higher status and power compared to the warriors. Priests and Scholars are the core of the tribes and oversee the functioning of those below them.
Spears. Warriors are expected to be strong and defend those who cannot defend themselves. This does not mean, however, that warriors are not expected to be religious – Loa worship is an integral part of every aspect of troll culture.
Tribestrolls. These are the farmers, fishers and craftsmen - all have a role to play to ensure the functioning of the ever-growing numbers of trolls gathering within Zul’Gurub.

We have a detailed ranksytem for the different paths both Mystics and Spears can take. The page is currently offline as it is being revamped with a few new lore titbits and classes we’ve seen in BfA, and will be up before the end of the month!

Events
We host around 3 events a week. Events are often a combination of plotlines, training sessions and Loa-themed evenings. Bigger campaigns that last a few weeks are held twice a year. A few examples:

Spear Training: Training sessions for the warriors of the Empire. Ranging from spars to missions, from weapon training to improving strength and stamina, this event is open for all trolls who wish to develop their skills as a Spear.
Mystic Training: The partner event of Spear Training meant for those who focus on the mystical arts of voodoo: aspiring hexxers, menders, witchdoctors and others who wish to master the Loa’s gifts are advised to attend to these trainings regularly. The subject can differ each time: from learning how to cast spells as a group to more practical lessons such as salve making or tending to deadly venom bites.
Loa teaching and offerings: A lore exposition event, to teach both trolls and players about the religion of Trolls. At the beginning of each month, the trolls gather at Hir’eek’s Rise to listen to a stories about the Loa. Based on the Loa covered in the teachings, trolls have a full month to prepare a sacrifice or offering. More often than not these events turn into a competitions who can make the best offering and gives every troll a moment to shine or fail.
Legacy of the Empires: Heavy plotbased events, that progress from week to week, that give the players a big plot line that random role-play can be centred around. From curses to preparing wars, these are the events that influence the tribes the most.

FAQ

Which tribes and races are accepted?
We accept trolls from almost every tribe seen in WoW; Zandalari, Ice Trolls, Forest Trolls, Jungle Trolls and Sand Trolls. The full list including subtribes can be found on the FAQ on our website.

We do not accept:

• Non-trolls. We are first and foremost a troll only guild – other races can only joins as OOC alts;
  • Half breeds, trolls from made-up tribes and tribes only mentioned in the RPG books;
  • Blood Trolls, Dark Trolls and Drakkari.

Both Dark Trolls and Drakkari are confirmed to be close to extinction in Battle for Azeroth. The guild has never allowed Dark Trolls, but you will find a (very small) number of Drakkari within our ranks. These trolls have roleplayed deserters of Zul’s army during MoP or have otherwise joined us during a time where it was still safe to assume some Drakkari roamed the world. We do not want to force people to retcon or delete characters they have developed over years, at the same time we wish to stay as close to lore as possible and reflect the tribe’s rarity in roleplay. New Drakkari applications are therefore declined. **

Do you roleplay on Horde territory or in Horde campaigns?
No. Roleplay takes currently place in Zul’Gurub and its surrounding jungles unless the plot of the guild requires us elsewhere. Playing non-horde aligned trolls with us comes with roleplay on neutral territory only, and we wish for new applicants to take this into account before joining us! Most of the tribes are sworn enemies of the Horde and the trolls from horde-aligned tribes that are with us are often branded traitors by their original tribe. Roleplay plots might send one or two trolls hailing from Horde-aligned tribes to Horde territory, but this is an exception, not a rule.

Recruitment and Applications:
You can join the guild by filling in the application form on our website. If you have any questions or wish to brainstorm concepts with us, do not hesitate to contact one of our officers ingame! (Azuak, Dahti, Thallow, Zelujin)

After an application is accepted, a two-week trial period starts. It offers you the opportunity to find out whether you enjoy roleplaying with us. Similarly, it allows us to see if you and your character fits Shadow of the Empires. After the trial period you will be invited to our Discord and are a full-fledged member of the guild!

63 Likes

I’ve become the most annoying troll in Zul’gurub without even trying very hard!

Best guild I’ve ever been a part of!
10/10, would tell that Drakkari DK to end himself again.

6 Likes

i wish i could reply to this post as CEZZJAV but since the forum update it will only let me appear as this random character from an unrelated realm but

ive been with this guild for like four years now and can safely say they are tolerating my antics ,… but i am not sure how long… send prayers

5 Likes

Having RP’ed with you guys a -long- time ago, I hope to sneak by and get some RP in. I’ve seen random Trolls faffing about in the Vale, and it’s amazing. Glad to see you’re still around! I remember it was an event at a lake or some such, with offerings and what not.

Keep it up!

8 Likes

Best Troll guild out there, can’t remember a day without atleast some casual RP going on. I’m motivated to RP as much as I possibly can, to grant my char some good progression in this wonderful guild! Officers are hella lovely and wonderful DMers and RPers! <3 JOOOOIN UUUUUUUUUSSSS!

5 Likes

Always! As long as people aren’t waving around Horde flags all trolls are more than welcome, there’s usually some activity spread throughout the city! Don’t bring your non-troll friends, however, unless you’re up for some good old sacrificin’ :wink:

10 Likes

Wonderful guild holding troll lore high for years now, I have fond memories each time my troll visited Zul’Gurub and was helped in his quest for Hir’Eek worship. Even better you guys are getting playable Zandalari soon, finally! I will definitely think of you guys when I decide to roll one.

6 Likes

Tonight, the trolls set out to try and cleanse the lake that surrounds the tainted temple of the Blood God, Hakkar…but our trolls soon found out that they bit off a bit more than they could chew, and encountered this twisted being emerging from the bottom of the lake.

https://imgur.com/a/UeMcu7Y

Art by Baklajan (htg17.tumblr.com)

7 Likes

So far during my stay in Zul’gurub I…

Pissed off half the inhabitants,
fought a dragon,
lost my eye because of it,
got spooked by spiders,
was choked by an angry Zandalari spirit,
insulted Hethiss, more than once,
became tired and possessed by nightmares,
became rivals with said Hethiss’ priest,
almost got bitten by a snake,
got bitten by a snake,
almost drowned,
almost had my throat slit by a mad witch doctor,
got helped by said witch doctor,
got my mind entered twice,
got sucked on by leeches in the jungle,
found out Bakla’jan is bald,
resupplied the medhut,
made mortal enemies with a Drakkari Death Knight,
had my fur ripped off by a curious octopus,
cleaned up a cursed lake,
made some weird adjustments to one of the waterfalls and changed it into a place of pleasure and delight.

I regret nothing.

6 Likes

News of the happenings in Zuldazar slowly but surely reach the deep jungles of Stranglethorn. Tales of the Horde walking the streets of the City of Gold, sacred temples and shrines of the almighty Loa now visited by the other races causes disbelief, disgust and hatred alike within the trolls living in Zul’Gurub. Never before did they feel as urged to cling to their ways of old, and dream of lands free of those not belonging to troll-kin.

The developments in BfA drive an even deeper wedge between the Horde and those living in the heart of the jungle – and the doubts and ruckus the news brings causes many to try and ensure they will never, ever be forced to share ground with the other races. New leaders are appointed, and the shift of hierarchy gives many a chance to seek new teachers and mentors, further fuelling skills and worship.

We congratulate Zelu’jin with his new position, and welcome the Icetusk huntress Khaliwi, the silent little druid E’ka, the Amani merchant Naothak, the former Darkspear Houngan, and the lesser priestess of Shadra Je’lakk – and wish the latter the best during her upcoming trials of becoming a full-fledged priestess!

8 Likes

I was wondering if you could help me with the lore here. How does a priestess serve a loa if that loa is now dead, like with Shadra? I’ve found myself stumped a bit in my troll RP during this expansion, due to the deaths of Hir’eek and Shadra. How do you deal with it?

2 Likes

Loa never die, I guess? Especially loa like Shadra and/or Gonk who are also Wild Gods.

Also, Mithralles again, but are you still based in Zul’Gurub or have you moved to Zandalar? Oh never mind, you’re Troll supremacists XD

Good question! We have a lot of characters who worship Hir’eek or Shadra, and their deaths have been a big blow both IC and OOC. There’s very little official lore on Shadra’s and Hir’eek’s fate, bar the Q&A stating these Loa never truly die (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nGnT6WZbeI around the 17:30 mark)

Every roleplayer has their own variation / interpretation and I really don’t think there’s any right or wrong way to deal with it, but we generally roll with our characters unable to reach out to the Loa, and unable to call upon their blessings or powers (much like the prelates / Rezan relation in current BfA).

Most effort then goes into taking care of the temples, spreading legends and stories, and taking care of the spiders and bats. The current priests and lesser priests often call upon the spirits of fallen followers of these Loa, or lesser spider / bat spirits instead if there is a need of a blessing or other ritual that used to directly draw from the Loa’s power before. A lot of our trolls are both desperate and hopeful in thinking that with enough offerings, sacrifice and worship they may, one day, be able strengthen their Loa enough to make them return, – or have another bat or spider take the mantle. Of course this is not something we’d ever play out we achieve, but it’s a big motivation for a good few!

Zul’Gurub! A lot of our trolls hail from Stranglethorn - and none of them feels very motivated to move to a now Horde-invested Zandalari continent, especially not with the way the other tribes are generally seen/treated there - though we will no doubt travel there once or twice for campaigns or plots. We do not plan on settling there, however!

4 Likes

Cool beans, while I never was able to immerse myself in Troll RP (I just can’t stand trolls), I really like troll lore.

Keep up the good work, friends :smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting! Thank you for the quick response

2 Likes

Thanks for for roleplay a few days ago, it was refreshing taking a break from blue vs red and all the politics to dip myself in traditional, tribal troll roleplay of sacrifice, loa and witch doctors. My toon (and I) were especially impressed by the ice troll cook and the Beth’ekk priest who seemed so kind but was definitely up to no good. Amazing quality right there.

My little troll has errands to run in the Barrens the rest of the year but I hope to rp with you guys again in the new.

4 Likes

We’ve had the most curious Winter Veil event. Some mad priest went rambling on about appeasing dark spirits by giving each other horrible gifts.

It was awesome!

4 Likes

Likewise! It’s been a blast!

2018 has been eventful for us, both IC and OOC, with the long-awaited troll expansion many of us have been dreaming of for many, many years. We’d like to thank everyone who has paid us a visit, those who participated in the various plot and journeys the past year and those always up for casual roleplay in between months filled with events. And last but not least, the community for being as supportive as you have been. We’re excited to start our sixth year of troll roleplay in 2019!

3 Likes

While the trolls of Zul’Gurub are blissfully unaware of the battle of Dazar’Alor, tension keeps rising within the city. Trolls from more and more tribes find home within the heart of Stranglethorn; some sick of war, others disillusioned by the treatment of the tribes in Zandalar, and a handful of Zandalari longing for a home free of Horde and Alliance.

But even if all look for a place to call home and for the opportunity to uphold their culture and values, the tribes do not always get along – and the recent surge in worship of Mueh’zala by local Sandfury trolls is watched with a healthy dose of caution by the others. To be continued!

7 Likes