Upcoming Realm Connections - Update 24/7

When will Nordrassil / Bronze Dragonflight be merged with another realm? Very low population on both - especially alliance side

@Tanthalas: Blizzard has not published a timetable so we players do not know. However, given the low population, it will happen at some point, I think. Given the current situation I can only guess within the next 6 to 8 weeks. I have no idea what order they are using, because it has already been established that they did not begin with the absolute smallest ones (as far as we players can tell).

If a realm is split 50/50 Alliance/Horde there are less players to recruit from, less guilds to choose from.

If a realm is 80-90% Horde (or Alliance) it has an incredibly healthy pool of players to recruit from, and a great choice of guilds.

1 Like

Blizzard canā€™t address faction balance on a realm, especially for large realms that canā€™t be merged. People flock realms dominated by their faction even if you tried to force a balanced realm one faction would probably dry out eventually.

2 Likes

faction balance might not be needed but the goal here is to have players able to have realm specific activities. If one faction has almost no player, then there is a failure.

So despite it not being the goal, faction balance is what blizzard will strive for.

And how is a new player supposed to know which faction on a given realm is well and which faction (s)he should avoid?

3 Likes

Most new players are caught out with a lack of knowledge of how busy realms are, which ones have the high populations, which ones are Horde/Alliance. Although itā€™s been simplified a lot with the removal of PvP realms there have been plenty caught out by the different server types in the past too.

If they are not joining a friend itā€™s very hard to know what to choose. Itā€™s even harder with the loss of many of the sites that used to track that info after the API changes made by Blizzard.

A balance indicator would probably be a nice addition to the realm list. Iā€™m not sure how they would measure it, there would need to be clarification. Whether itā€™s based on the characters on that realm or those active at the time. Either way it would be better than what we have now.

2 Likes

This might make the problem even worse because no one is going to join the dead faction on a server. Most people join a ā€œhigh popā€ server and then only find out theyā€™re on the dead side when itā€™s too late to start over so theyā€™re trapped.

Ah, thatā€™s too bad. But at least more Hordies are coming.

I donā€™t agree that anything will be worse. We donā€™t want people to end up on the minority faction proportion on realms. We want them on busy realms of their own faction for all the reasons I explained before.

An indicator of balance would avoid anyone being in the situation of only being 20% or less of the realm pop. People could instantly see oh Silvermoon, lots of Alliance Iā€™ll try making a character there. Not ā€˜oh I rolled Alliance on Draenor because I didnā€™t know it was a Horde realmā€™.

3 Likes

Please sort out steamwheedle cartelā€¦RP realms are crappy atm, no one RPs on them so might as well just merge.

1 Like

It seems that Blizzard is going to merge PvE realms together and PvP realms together. KT will very probably be merged with another PvP realm.

Statistically speaking, talking about french realms (and I guess we can extend the statement to almost all EU servers), except overcrowded Hyjal, PvE realms are majoritary Alliance and PvP realms are majoritary Horde, so there are very few possibilities to rebalance the Alliance-Horde ratio by merging realms.

I canā€™t keep saying, balance isnā€™t what is wanted.

2 Likes

Maybe it is about time to actually merging servers, not only connecting them :woman_shrugging:
People does not only join the grand realms because of the population, but many also join them because they do not wish to be on a connected realm.

I know the extra servers was made because of the WoD launch, but seriously - with SL, they should keep an eye on how much all their servers actually fills, and act accordingly, merge the realms, give people free transfer and let the playerbase play on un-connected realms, which I bet everybody would prefer if the could.

Connecting realms is merging them, itā€™s just merging without anyone having to lose their guild name or character names. You get all the perks of being on one realm and no downsides of losing anything in the process.

7 Likes

I still think that they should close down some of the way too many realms. I get it with guildnames and char names etc. But still, maintaining all those many many lowpop servers will do nothing to fix the issue of dead realms. They can connect and connect to their hearts desire, but people will still seek towards the larger realms, because - if you can choose freely and have no ties, then ofc people want to be on non-connected realms.
Imo the most awesome thing the could do, is to lessen the restrictions on names and make 4 or 5 large servers.

ā€¦and everyone came to an agreement who could keep their character/guild-names and who had to choose a new oneā€¦ no, it was a s#!tshow, obviously!

Hence why I stated in the comment just above, that it would be awesome if they would lessen the restrictions, or let us have surnames or what ever.

I think they have so many opportunities to tweak a lot of things to fix the issue, but all they do is to stick to the old and just add a lifeline here, and a bandaid there to save time (and paychecks I guess)

1 Like

@All: Surprise(s)!!!

Now this is getting really interestingā€¦ :smiley: Germans are getting a connection that has a very large realm as one partā€¦ Totally did NOT see that comingā€¦ :smiley:

EDIT: No, scratch that, they editedā€¦ Edit of edit, dang it, the Germans made a complete messā€¦ it IS a large realm.

1 Like