What happened to player attitude?

I played on Vashj so no idea about those

You can’t convince me that shift-clicking someone’s name in the middle of combat is somehow faster than typing “mage, tank, healer” etc…

Oh no, I remember this very vividly from vanilla too. If I grouped with strangers, I’d be addressed as “healer, do so and so”. It always weirded me out a bit :D.

For me the experience has been very much like vanilla was generally. Lots of nice people who are patient and willing to explain things when they can. May be because it’s the rp pve server, I haven’t tried the other servers so I can’t compare.

1 Like

Rose-tinted glasses at its finest. Not to mention, with bigger servers there’s a better chance you’ll encounter a-holes.

Also, gamers aren’t more toxic, if anything they are way less toxic than in the past. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably hasn’t played CS 1.6, DotA and other WC3 modes.

Last but not least, lol at calling people hypocrites for having a good attitude because they expect to gain something from it. Do you even society?

There seems to be a connection here…

As in positive people have positive experiences, and negative people have toxic experiences.

plus/minus a few exceptions.

3 Likes

If i see 1v1, im not going to help. I hate it when alliance always come 1vX so i dont do it either. Homever if i see a guy that continually ganks then i help. If the guy is alot higher level then i help too.

And i dont help out gankers when theyre getting ganked

I just want fair fights, thats all

League of Legends, widely infamous for its toxic community, consisted of: 90% males, 85% aged between 16 and 30 and 60% enrolled in, or with finished college degree.

That was back in 2012. Those people would be 23-37 by now. And probably still be toxic as heck in whatever game they’re playing these days.

Personally, I had mostly good experiences in Classic so far. But I’ve been playing on a PvE server to avoid the competitive and “hardcore” crowds.

1 Like

I’ve never played League of Legends so I cant comment on their players.

I’ve had some wonderful experiences playing Classic and before that Vanilla and I’ve also had some not so nice ones too - but in all honesty I dont believe age to be the determining factor. Just people being people.

I had some charmer last night run straight up to a node I was already mining and do his best to spam it so he’d get it. :laughing: I think he maybe got one ore out of it.
If the numpty had just asked, I’d probably have let him take it or take a swing to get a skill point, but now he’s just on the ignore list.

You clearly didn’t play on Defias Bortherhood, then! :smiley:
Realm forums made the front page so many times with drama and argument threads!

Though I didn’t switch to DB until pre-Cata, iirc, so might have been a bit calmer before that.

I must call it a rose tinted goggles because I remember everything a bit differently (only because you posed the question this way ;)). I netted couple of death threats which did not happen in Classic (this even with the notion at the end of my post!) or in modern, but happened in Vanilla just because I happened to have loot X which they would have preffered to have themselves.

There are always bad seeds - so no vanilla, classic or modern are not fluffylands on everywhere and there are also good and fantastic people. It just is also kind of RNG - so to speak - what kind of seeds we find during our adventures.

For example i am 100% certain my Classic realm is one of the most tocix environments you can find in Classic and likely every other server is nicer. It is not playerbase issue of 2019, but just that I managed again make bad and very bad choices where more bad seeds have landed on one tiny plot.

Overall I am just disappointed about the “player attitude” or this “community makes difference” posts we have had before Classic launched. People always behave in their guild chat. The people who already joined a guild or playing on an already established guilds think Classic community is nice, but sadly from my experience this is untrue.

People are so rude, judgmental, impatient and elitist. I have had a couple of experiences that made me consider if I am not belong to wow universe anymore.

Back in the days, maybe I was just lucky, but people were nice to each other, care of others, patient and more acceptable, have more tolerance, not this much raid focused and instead of seeing you as a class, role, tank but your personality was making a huge impact on the community.

I am still playing though, hoping I will encounter some people with the attitude once I experienced and join them on their journeys. The day that I will completely turn off trade chat. I do believe guild masters or officers really need to sometimes read what their members writing on trade chat. I began to ignore guilds instead of individuals as they are the representatives of their guilds.

1 Like

Also keep in mind that player types tend to gather on specific servers. Player attitude wary greatly from server to server. (: Obv. there will always be some rotten eggs, but if your experience is too bad, maybe rerolling is the answer.

1 Like

So I just checked an old harddrive I have some screenshots from Vanilla on.
They include:

• a hunter ninja’ing a dagger from rogue
  • a mage who was outdps’d by the tank ranting about everything from kids dying in the streets to his English skills (all in extremely broken English, ofc) because he was called out on his poor performance
  • a couple having a lovers quarrel in /s in the middle of Southshore
  • a guy bragging about his intimate exploits in guild chat
  • someone ninja’ing a dagger or something from a lock and the group breaking up because of it
  • some lovely fella spamming statements about my preferred choice of intimate partners (because I didn’t want to pay him 10s to lie naked next to me for 10mins)
  • frequent use of various slurs
  • lots of namecalling over minor or non-existent issues.

Yeah, things sure were friendlier in the good old days… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No-one can open a chest while a fight is going on nearby.

The direction is random for a fear, and a mob will run back to the lock unless you hit it.

RL is allowed to reserve what they like.

could not have said it better

1 Like

This whole thing really needs context.
In 2004, nobody expected you to know anything about the game.
In 2019, the norm is to research most of the information about your class as well as dungeon and raid encounters, yourself.
In my opinion it comes to people valuing their own play time more, than what they used to and are more reluctant of going out of their way to help others.

Not true, people are the same.
Difference is the toxic people back then were Chads partying up or whatever while just Geeks were part of the community.
Nowadays when gaming became a thing, every other Chad is part of a community, and the result is… Yeah.

Basically toxicity followed what’s “popular” trend.
Bullying and visciouness 15 year ago in schools was more severe that it is today.

I did in fact play on Defias for my horde charakters, wich was my main faction in vanilla. I played hunter as my main char and lost all interest when patch 2.0 came out and normalized hunter pets. I did lvl him up, think he sits at lvl 84 or something, but I never really played it after the patch that ruined the fun. So from TBC and onward I was ally instead on another server.

1 Like

Players may point to some valid mechanics and changes that ruined the game, but the main thing that ruined it was the community and its hateful nature over almost everything.

3 Likes