Will you return for fresh?

yes indeed pals

i´ll be back!

I’m quite excited about the entire fresh idea. Played on darrowshire for a time, but quickly left because all the racism and biggotry taking place there ( atleast that’s how i experienced it ). It just ruins the entire gameplay for me.

No. I won’t reward this laziness. The only thing that could make me come is a dedicated team, with a game designer ontop, hired to make content while sticking to vanilla’s philosophy.

It will not happen, as vanilla’s philosophy is not understood by the current WoW team. So a dedicated classic+ team would certainly make retail-like content. As that is what they know to do.

The proof they are incapable of understanding old philosophies is that all the changes brought to TBCC are making it more retail-like. Which is incredibly misguided. They resuscitated the golden-egg goose just to kill it again.

I am certain these “fresh” servers will incorporate retail-like changes, because that is the sole thing they know about. They haven’t learned from classic’s success, they just want to break it. Their super power is to turn good design into lead.

4 Likes

Just to add, the price of a WoW subscription is about the same price as an Amazon prime subscription. Can Blizzard REALLY claim to be as offering as much value as Amazon do at that price point to the Classic community? I would say this is what discourages me most from coming back for it, the cost comparative to what we get in return. I have plenty of money to pay for it, but I feel ripped off and scammed by playing. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to pay that money to this company.

If you just play Classic you’re paying essentially the value of a Amazon Prime sub for what? An old rerelease of an MMO which private servers somehow manage to run for no financial compensation at all? At best classic should have a separate sub at a lower cost and a portion of the funds should be put back into only the product you sub to. Instead sub funds for classic presently go into retail development and Blizzard’s other business ventures while our classic servers stagnate and die. It’s appalling customer treatment and honestly offensive to customers that we are considered so stupid we can’t recognise such a poor product. What shocks me more is that people defend such poor business practice and customer service.

At this point, playing WoW just feels like taking back an abusive ex partner hoping they have changed. “Come back baby, I have changed I promise. I won’t lie and cheat again. It will be different this time.”

1 Like

Just stop playing already :sweat_smile:

1 Like

OP asked for my opinion, I gave it. Glad to see the gatekeeping still exists.

1 Like

The amount of salt :rofl: +1

Just stop playing already :sweat_smile:

I already have stopped playing on official blizzard servers some time ago. I still can voice my opinion if I want. Being vocal and expressing opinions is often a catalyst for change.

Trying to keep the integrity of one of the best games of all time from the attacks of retailers who want to destroy its meticulous design is not “gatekeeping”, it is public service.

3 Likes

A sign that fake servers are not that good :wink:

Probably not :slight_smile: had to make a post

:joy: okay dude

I mean people have their tastes but jeesh. I like Classic too, I just want some things to be changed about it for me to play it again.

The things you want would make it a “retail minus” experience. You already have diablo or retail or dozens of other loot-action-grinders to obtain the fantasy you want. So don’t come saccage the best MMORPG ever made if you don’t understand its design principles. Your clueless wants are what brought retail into existence. So go play the game made for you, it exists, it is called retail.

1 Like

for me it is the exact opposite: i would come back only if there were some meaningful QoL changes and endgame options added to it. a perfect version for me would also stop progress at ZG. optional beefed up difficulties for dungeons and raids would be cool as well

You are also describing the specific wants of 1 kind of players, called “achievers” by designers. All retail has been constructed to please your kind, so why don’t you play it?

The strength of vanilla is it is made for all kinds of players, not only the achievers. Why do achievers feel compelled to come to well diversified games and ask they are reshaped in their image, though half the market is already devoted to their profile?

One example : the multiple difficulties for dungeons and raids surely please achievers who want “a challenge” and recognition of their abilities. But it strongly displeases explorers and immersed players, who rarely talk on forums (because they quit before that) and play to be a part of a breathing world, not part of an external gamy mechanic which kills worldbuilding by repeating the same content.
To these players, BRD is not a dungeon, it is the living city of the dark dwarfs, and they love its gigantic, organic shape. If “BRD Heroic BRD Mythic BRD Mythic+” existed, it would feel so external to a world that it would feel bad to these players. It would be a game without a world, which is not what you should aim for in a MMORPG design.

So again, think from a designer perspective who want to keep the equilibirum between kinds of players. Because if you want a wow all made for achievers, which have pushed back all other kinds of players, retail is over there.

4 Likes

maybe for you. it doesn’t work for me, wow is too simplistic for immersion or RP. take this from a guy who - in an era long forgone - has played under the “no OOC chat” mantra in ultima online and DaoC. to take your example: BRD is - to me - just a tedious, static trash mob grind, nothing i look forward to doing again.

i am also not an “achiever” in the traitor-to-the-cause sense that you defined. but i do like having things to do in endgame. other than producing more raids where you can farm your equip all from scratch again, wow doesnt really offer much there.

the only argument that you could make is that if you have the right people, RPGs are awesome fun no matter what you do. even if it is absolutely nothing but stand around and chat (in BRD if you must) but this kind of player i have never met in wow, not 15 years ago and not in classic

I am not talking “for me” (in fact I’m from the achiever profile), I am talking from a designer perspective informed by the massive double success of Vanilla, and the testimony of people who worked on vanilla (see Kevin Jordan’s videos for example). The argument “your opinion is not mine” doesn’t stand on its legs when you have tangible proofs of what one of the position said.

Vanilla was attracting all kinds of players, and classic first succeeded to do the same (before achievers and meta-slaves reshaped the community in their image). It is a waste that this appeal has shrunk since (because of misguided changes to please achievers and a globally not welcoming community to non-achievers players).

So there is 2 roads ahead. The first is : a wow classic changed to please even more achievers and retail-buyers. It would be a belittled experience which would not attract a lot of players ; wow would continue its descent into irrelevance. The other road would be to double down on vanilla’s design to catch again the non-achiever players who left because of the loss of diversity during wow’s evolution.

The “best MMORPG ever” is an outdated 17 year old video game that was fantastic during it’s time. I’m terribly sorry if I hurt your feelings because I think it could be made better in a seasonal environment.

2 Likes

no every pserver offers the better vanilla experiene without the minmax twitch goldbuying and boosting meta