Shadowlands: A Look at Covenant Class and Signature Abilities *Updated 5/13

I am very, very concerned about this for a huge number of reasons.

As has already been pointed out numerous times before, this will lock you into a covenant. Worse still, different game modes might attempt to lock you into different covenants, meaning a lot of people will have to make separate characters for PvP and PvE or even M+ vs raids just so they can have different covenants on them.

Many of the abilities are these sorts of cooldowns that add nothing. We’re back to this again.

Others are massive utility cooldowns. These are potentially problematic because they’ll behave vastly differently in different parts of the game.

I play Druid and Mage, so I’ll look at those:

Kindred Spirits: This is Symbiosis. This needs a spreadsheet. Why is this coming back? That spell was utterly ridiculous… Now everyone’s gonna need an extra keybind in case a Druid came by and gave them Symbiosis.
Ravenous Frenzy: Very strong in PvE, probably easy to shut down in PvP - thus worse than useless. You’ll actively want to avoid using it because if you get CC’d, you CC yourself even further.
Adaptive Swarm: Pop with other CD’s. There are no choices here. If the CD doesn’t align with other CD’s, may be significantly worse than intended.
Convoke the Spirits: This will cause mass confusion. It’s basically a bit like Feral Frenzy, except 16 times more random. It’ll pick random targets, random spells, and it’ll cast them all really fast. Is it possible it does almost nothing at all because it casts 8 Sunfires and 8 Moonfires? Yes. Is it possible that it’ll just smash someone with 16 Starfires and take 80% of their HP instantly? Sure.

Mage:
Radiant Spark: You pop this on top of your existing CD’s. Will probably be incredibly strong on a Fire Mage. Careful!
Mirrors of Torment: Now add this on top of Mirror Images and watch the fireworks. It’ll completely lock up to several people down. So if you’re playing a more defensive mage setup or you’re doing BG’s, this ability will be incredible. Anything else? It’ll be useless. If you tune the damage to be good, it’ll blow everyone up in PvP. If you tune the damage to be bad, nobody will take it in PvE. You’re gonna have to separate this one out.
Deathborne: Pop it on top of your major cooldown. Boring. Next.
Shifting Power: This spell will probably do absolutely nothing. The best use I can think for it is to fool an enemy to interrupt your nature school. If it’s very, very strong it might be good in PvE as well on add control fights, but compared to the 3 others… yeah, it probably won’t be that great.

In conclusion:
These are the exact kinds of abilities I desperately hoped you wouldn’t add. It’s bloat, it’s confusion, it locks you into covenants, it may lock you into making multiple alts of the same class to enjoy all aspects of the game.

You’re adding in spells that you know are broken. Why aren’t you adding anything that affects moment-to-moment gameplay or diversifies rotations or is just cosmetic or does something a little more interesting? It’s all a bunch of massively powerful cooldowns. That’s what it is. Cooldowns. The game doesn’t need more cooldowns, it’s got more than enough even after the prune! My mage has almost twice as many cooldowns on retail as it does in Classic, and mana means nothing. Why is this a thing?!

I really have to ask myself if you have learned anything whatsoever. First you prune all this stuff because it’s breaking the game, then people complain they have no utility and the rotations became flat and then, instead of spicing up the rotation and adding some interesting small utilities, you put all the massive cooldowns back that broke MoP again?!

I know I’m really harsh here, but this is absolutely stupid. There is no way in hell that this will end well.

11 Likes