Lore Tidbits Thread

I got peer pressured into remaking this thread for the new forum since we lost the last thread for us (read: me spamming quotes nobody asked for from the novels) to dump lore snippets with the transition to the new forum.

p.s. the thread title required 15 characters

Here's a description of the ceremony to ascend to Paladinhood from Arthas: Rise of the Lich King.

Gavinrad stepped forth, holding an enormous, heavy- looking hammer, its silver head etched with runes and its sturdy haft wrapped in blue leather. He placed the hammer in front of Arthas, then stepped back to stand with his brethren. It was Uther the Lightbringer himself, Arthas’s mentor in the order, who next came forward. In his hands he carried a pair of ceremonial shoulder plates. Uther was the most controlled man Arthas had ever known, and yet his eyes were bright with unshed tears as he placed the armor on Arthas’s broad shoulders. He spoke in a voice that was both powerful and trembling with emotion.

“By the strength of the Light, may your enemies be undone.” His hand lingered a moment on Arthas’s shoulder, then he, too, retreated. Archbishop Faol smiled at the prince kindly. Arthas met the gaze evenly, no longer worried. He remembered everything now.

“Arise and be recognized,” Faol bade him. Arthas did so.

“Do you, Arthas Menethil, vow to uphold the honor and codes of the Order of the Silver Hand?”

Arthas blinked, momentarily surprised at the lack of his title. Of course, he reasoned, I’m being inducted as a man, not a prince. “I do.”
“Do you vow to walk in the grace of the Light and spread its wisdom to your fellow man?”

“I do.”

“Do you vow to vanquish evil wherever it be found, and protect the innocent with your very life?”

“I d—by my blood and honor, I do.” That was close, he’d almost messed up. Faol gave him a quick wink of reassurance, then turned to address both the clerics and the paladins. “Brothers and sisters—you who have gathered here to bear witness—raise your hands and let the Light illuminate this man.”

The clerics and paladins all lifted right hands, which were now suffused by a soft, golden glow.

They pointed at Arthas, directing the radiance toward him. Arthas’s eyes were wide with wonder, and he waited for the glorious glow to envelop him.

Nothing happened.

The moment stretched on.

Sweat broke out on Arthas’s brow. What was going wrong? Why wasn’t the Light wrapping itself around him in blessing and benediction?

And then the sunlight streaming in through windows in the ceiling slowly began to move toward the prince standing alone in shining armor, and Arthas exhaled in relief. This had to be what Uther had spoken of. The feeling of unworthiness that Uther assured him all paladins felt simply seemed to drag out the moment. The words Uther had spoken came back to him: No one feels he deserves it…its grace, pure and simple…but the Light loves us anyway.

Now it shone down on him, in him, through him, and he was forced to shut his eyes against the almost blinding radiance. It warmed at first, then seared, and he winced slightly. He felt—scoured. Emptied, scrubbed clean, then filled again, and he felt the Light swell inside him and then fade away to a tolerable level.

He blinked and reached for the hammer, the symbol of the order. As his hand closed about the haft, he looked up at Archbishop Faol, whose benign smile widened.

“Arise, Arthas Menethil, paladin defender of Lordaeron. Welcome to the Order of the Silver Hand.”

Arthas couldn’t help it. He grinned as he grasped the enormous hammer, so large that for a brief moment he thought he wouldn’t be able to lift it, and swung it upward with a whoop. The Light, he realized, made the hammer seem to weigh less in his hands.

The important bits from the snippet are that a paladin is bestowed the symbolic hammer of the Silver Hand as well as ceremonial shoulderplates by their senior paladins during the ceremony.

After this, the prospective paladin is blessed by the clergy and other members of the Order and if the Light embraces them by becoming one with them, the person is thereon considered a Paladin and knighted as the paladin of the realm they hail from.

The Light makes the hammer he is bestowed lighter and almost weightless in their hands – a detail that is later explored in the novel when Arthas begins to doubt his conviction and the Light wanes, making the hammer grow heavy in his hand.

For the sake of keeping the thread clean, let us focus on actual lore sources going forward instead of derailing with inane posts about personal grievances with the story and other sub-tier memes. For a thread dedicated to compiling lore sources as a resource for the community, neither of those help anyone.

27 Likes

Something else from Arthas: Rise of The Lich King.
Uther is doing a number on Arthas and is for all intents and purposes beating him quite easily until Frostmourne pulls a Jedi trick and comes to Arthas’ Hand (page 259)
“The hammer descended. All the air in Arthas’ body was knocked out of him with a rush as the blow landed straight and true across his midsection. Only his armour saved him, and even that crumpled beneath the glowing hammer wielded by the holy, radiant Paladin.”
“agony shooting through him as he struggled to breathe, struggled to rise.”

Something else is the fact that throughout the novel we see Arthas cast himself back to Jaina and Invincible and Uther whilst doing all these horrible things and despite what he’s doing he still absolutely loves all of them and often seems incredibly saddened by what he’s doing. Makes you wonder if Arthas had as much freedom as he let on.

Edit: Regarding if Uther uses holy magic during their fight. Yes, he does, maybe not actively but Arthas comments on this as well as a few quotes to show just how strong Uther is.
“The utter confidence shook Arthas.” (Page 259)
“His (Arthas) own blows were powerful, but erratic.”(Page 259)
“And now it was exacting retribution through Uther the Lightbringer, it’s greatest champion, infusing his old teacher with the purity of it’s brilliance and purpose.”(Page 259)
“The glow enveloping Uther increased, and Arthas grimaced in agony as the light seared his eyes as well as his soul.” (Page 259)

5 Likes

Imagine having a lore thread and me not dropping Shadow of the Horde quotes nobody asked for
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/284360431684812801/524960301913866261/Quoting.png

Shadow Hunters aren’t special “just” because of their status.

“A shadow hunter might counsel, might lead, but that was not his true purpose. This was not the reason the loa came to him and depended upon him. A shadow hunter was the true measure of what it was to be a troll. All trolls, and all of their actions, were measured against the shadow hunter. It was important to see the distinction of actions versus abilities or potential. Shadow hunters certainly were more able than most trolls, but there were no trolls who could not emulate shadow hunters, contributing their efforts to the community. That would be what confirmed them as being trolls.”

They are the golden standard of what it means to be a troll, and any troll is capable of doing what a Shadow Hunter can by devotion alone. The Loa’s plan is for there to be a time where Shadow Hunters are no longer required because every troll is just as devoted.

A demonstration of a Zandalari troll’s strength

"The Zandalari lunged forward, smashing his forehead into Vol’jin’s face, knocking the Darkspear back a step. He tossed the longsword aside and swept in, grabbing the shadow hunter by the chest. The Zandalari lifted him high, thumbs driving in at the center of Vol’jin’s chest. He squeezed, hard, then shook Vol’jin.

Iron fingers dug into ribs, reigniting aches. The troll’s thumbs even punched through the breastplate and tore at the silk beneath."

He crushes Vol’jin’s ribs through plate armour with his grip alone.

And some examples of the speed of troll regeneration:

“Dust still slowly settled over the twitching troll. Vol’jin reached back and snapped off the arrow’s head, then slid the shaft from his chest. He smiled as the wound closed; then he pilfered the troll’s quiver and continued the fighting withdrawal.”

Important to know that at this point, Vol’jin’s healing is still crippled. Later on his shoulder is broken by a mace and it takes a couple of minutes for it to heal enough to regain function.

6 Likes

Here is a short “best-of” summary from the previous lore facts thread I created on the old forums:

• Portals have these magical tremors, whose intensity seems to grow with the distance between two points. These can be picked up by mages, meaning that there is a risk to using portals and/or teleporting after all.

• Elementals created/summoned by mages can be “hacked”.

• Users of fel are apparently able to take a mortal being’s corpse and stuff it with a demon’s soul, turning it into some fel-corrupted undead creature. The Shadow Council did this on Draenor with the Frostwolves.

• There’s a tribe of sand gnomes in the Bone Wastes surrounding Auchondoun. They carry spears and wear primitive clothing. Spooky stuff.

• Draenei pray in circles.

• Draenei tales have magical properties especially interesting to necromancers (no, you can’t have mine).

• The Boars in the Blasted Lands are in fact so corrupted that their meat is pre-cooked.

9 Likes

Where does that come from? I’m curious, now!

I mention this every lore-thread but, portals are insanely dangerous. So much so that the Kirin Tor regulate their use and it’s the most volatile form of magic that isn’t actually banned. The ingame book " Thinking with Portals - A Memorandum on Proper Portal Usage" has all the lore you’ll need on it and I won’t parrot it word for word here, but! The most import thing to know about portals is this:

Rule #1: Do not create a portal to anywhere but the designated Kirin Tor portal drop-off zones. The most dangerous aspect of the portal spell is its vast potential. We realize it’s easy for a mage to create a door to anywhere, so our only way to combat such potentially deadly acts is to make it punishable by death.
Special Issue License D-6 permits open portal usage, but is rarely issued. Speak with your local Portal Trainer about qualifying for this license.

Making portals to anywhere but the designated spots you see ingame is punishable by death.

1 Like
  1. Tauren ruminate. Despite this, they consume also meat and aren’t herbivores.
  2. Wyverns can actually both understand AND speak with orcish/common.
  3. A tuskarr traveled from Northrend to pandaria under a week.(?)
  4. Bwonsamdi an Eyir have some long feud between them, but neither of them seem to be willing to open up about it.
  5. Adult pandaren have 3 toes. Cubs have 4.
  6. Sand trolls are terrified of large spans of water like oceans and lakes.
  7. Gnolls, while hard to befriend with, are incredibly loyal towards those who earn their trust and respect.
  8. The technological feud between goblins and gnomes, while sometimes turning violent, is more often than not sportsmanship lile rivalry, rather than deeply engrained hatred for one another.
  9. The river provides.
  10. Thorium is one of the most common materials both alliance and Horde use for their armor and weapons, as well as siege machinery.
8 Likes

The quest names are:

“Arcane_De-Construction”

“Hacking_the_Construct”

I’d have posted the link but the forums don’t let me, apparently…

Also, lol @ this quote:

<Andorel’s image is blurry and indistinct. He squints at you and taps against the glass of the scrying stone.>

<name>, is that you? The resolution on this stone is terrible. What kind of hardware are they using?

I really liked the whole “arcane is computer magic” vibe they were going for here. Fits with the whole scientific arcane and titanic machinery vibe, too.

Also, in the last thread someone else mentioned there was another similar quest, where you do the same but with a mage-summoned water elemental, though I wouldn’t know which quest that would be.

1 Like

Peeve & lore at the same time, expanding on the above: people [in Silvermoon] using arcane elementals (you know the pet, the one from WoD).

That’s why we blood elves don’t use arcane constructs anymore - they’ve been outlawed for, oh, 1500 years.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Hacking_the_Construct

I’ll start pulling book lore when I stop being lazy.

2 Likes

Blood elves ward their banners, using them to mark out their borders and discourage attackers.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=143740/enchanted-sindorei-banner

Also, saw some questions somewhere about portal magic and there are few nice bits that were very nicely described in a (rather) recent novella “Elegy”:

1. Always has to be maintained by a mage;

The refugees just kept coming. Anduin has ordered that the portals be constantly open throughout the city, but the magi had to sleep and eat, as did every one of the stoic but emotionally wrung-out refugees.

1. Exhausts the caster equally as any other channeling spell;

Night elves were pressed in tight lines, waiting to escape the city through the portals - the only means available. The magi operating them looked exhausted, their arms trembling as they kept the gateways open.

1. Conjured food and Light blessings can work as a fuel to someone’s body, to keep them alive and working;

The magi had not slept for days, keeping the portals open. They subsisted on conjured food and drink and the priests’ continual blessings.

10 Likes

Vol’jin made an effort to get to know each and every one of his Darkspears personally.

He remembered each of them as they lived, and that both sharpened the pain he felt at their loss and closed the wound just a bit faster.

He realized that Garrosh, were they to have somehow changed places, would not recognize these five monks. He would understand them. He would have assessed them and measured them for their martial prowess. For their ability to project his power and will upon others. But that was all they would be to him, five or five thousand. His hunger for war did not permit him to know soldiers, just armies.

This be not how I wish to be. This was why, whenever he was home in the Echo Isles, he spoke with the trolls who had done well in their training. He made an effort to remember them and their names. He valued them and wanted them to know that. Not just so they would feel proud that he had taken notice of them, but so that he would not think of them as numbers to be pitched into the maw of war.

7 Likes

Imps are the easiest demon to summon; you only need to know their name and they appear before you. The most difficult demon is a doomguard, requiring a sacrifice to summon and an enslavement spell to keep them under control.

There were once male succubi (incubi) but the females devoured them. It was this practice of canabalism that drew the Legion’s attention to the Sayaad homeworld.

Observers are very fond of magic and enjoy devouring it. They also know secrets of the Legion and of the worlds the Legion dominated.

A Voidwalker is bound by the bracers they wear, much like elementals. If the bracers are destroyed or damaged, the Voidwalker returns to the nether.

Felguards and Wrathguards served as Legion bodyguards for the higher-ups.

The Shivarra are a form of battle priestesses, implying that they had a religion at some point before (and possibly during) the legion’s invasion of their world.

Kanrethad Ebonlocke is classified as a Demonology Warlock despite using all 3 schools of magic during his boss encounter atop the black temple.

I could go on and on about Warlock and demon tidbits.

One final tidbit non-demon related; A human can only become a worgen through a bite, scratch or the consumption of blood of another worgen. And if the newly turned worgen in question does not undertake the ritual similar to the one in the blackwald they will eventually turn feral.

3 Likes

Jubeka’s Journal also points out that Voidwalkers are “surprisingly” easy to summon because of the chaotic scheming they indulge in between each other. All you need to summon one is to know its true name, and voidwalkers are very willing to sell their competition out.

1 Like

I think you’ve got that confused with the Imps.

Day 28:
The fel imps of Felspark Ravine in Hellfire are remarkably chatty. I’ve discovered that they’re just as easy to contract into service as their names are to learn. The ritual to summon one is trivial, at best.

Voidlords are rather difficult to stumble across, but it takes very little persuading to convince one to divulge the name of a rival lord.

Voidlords and Voidwalkers are seperate entities. Voidwalkers hate being summoned, it almost pains them. Voidlords don’t seem to mind.

Genn Greymane & Daelin Proudmoore didn’t get on post Second War; despite how he behaves in Kul’tiras:

Daelin: “You might as well tell the wind to stop howling. You’ll have more success there than getting that creature to quiet even for a moment!”

Genn: “If you don’t like the sound of my voice, Lord Admiral, good steel can always make certain you never hear it—or anything else—again.”

It’s from day of the dragon, not sure if that’s canon, but I always liked the quotes.

5 Likes

I’d contest this. Judging from quests like Burning Steppes, pit lords are extremely difficult to summon.

I think greater demons were excluded, listing only generic summonable demons

You would be right on that one. I kept to the warlock pets readily available for the class.

It takes an immense level of power to subdue a pitlord (read; illidan novel enslaving mannaroth), definately not something the average warlock could do alone. there’d need to be a good 5-10 warlocks channelling at once.