Why is LGBT representation important in WoW?

If you’re not LGBT try to only just read and not get triggered.

I want to hear from the LGBT community, why they feel that the representation they are getting World of Warcraft is a meaningful and positive thing.

Most WoW players are only interested in lore/loot to raid, pvp or run M+.
To many, this seems like Blizzard bending the knee to appease the social justice media which caused them to revolt aggressively for and against.

However, to LGBT players, this change is extremely meaningful as it acknowledges their existence on a platform even though it is generally used as a escape from real life politics, gender and religion debates.

I’d really like to hear from LGBT players and give them the opportunity to tell us:

• What makes the representation meaningful?
  • Why is it important in general?
  • Why is it important in WoW?
  • How has it helped your community?
  • How has it helped you personally?
  • How does LGBT tolerance/intolerance affect your daily real life?
  • How does LGBT tolerance/intolerance affect your in-game play?
  • Do you feel that the representation Blizzard has given you in Shadowlands is enough or not enough?
  • What (more/less) would you like from the WoW Community in general regarding LGBT?

Share your story, help players understand and above all be civil and DO NOT insult/label those that disagree with you. You cannot turn everyone.

Thank you!

EDIT: A big thanks to those who have replied so far! Quotes below!

21 Likes

I dont quite care either what people really are, how their body looks neither if they identify as x, y, z. But I too am wondering these questions… Why so much push?

And please learn the difference between hate and curiosity, there’s a big difference.

9 Likes

No it really isn’t.

I’m not trying to troll, hate or bait. I would actually really like to hear this from a actual LGBT player as I believe it would give others a much greater understanding of what it means to be LGBT and play WoW.

Nether gay or straight rappresentation are important or non important.

I care of playing the game, and the presence of gay or straight npc does not prevents me to do the content I like.

It’s the stupidity of certain players that actually triggers me

8 Likes

ah hell, here we go again!!!

7 Likes

I am judgemental towards everyone, equally.

5 Likes

then why must you make this topic?

Just tell these haters to cancel cyberpunk pre order.

Whatever,., 2020, move on with your time… Itsn ot like theyr actually having close contact in game?

1 Like

Representation is important because by showing a diverse cast of traits in the media in a positive light, it helps those traits become normalised. It makes acceptance that little bit closer to being obtainable if we’re coming out of the ‘Keep it in the bedroom’ phase - and don’t get me wrong, obviously I’m not advocating for the media to suddenly become Gay Adult Funtime Land, but holding hands and kissing is accepted in public for straight couples and we’d quite like the same. This doesn’t just apply to LGBT either - imagine an impressionable young black girl raised on Disney princesses - white after white, which is fine, but now imagine how happy she is going to be seeing Tiana. For the first time, there’s the message. Girls who look like you can be Princesses too.

I think the above part explains this.

WoW is an MMO, which means it is a game focused on community and playing with others. Knowing that you are represented in the game shows that the community, in general, are supportive of you and the trait you have which makes you a minority. If nothing else, you know to /gquit real heckin quick if you see guild chat full of complaints about the representation.

My guild, personally, was already diverse in terms of age, ethinicity, etc, so what I would describe as ‘my community’ hasn’t been impacted particularly much, however…

It just makes me happy, y’know? I enjoy seeing same-sex couples just being a thing and getting on with their lives, if only because I know that a few years back it would have been impossible to get to see something like that in the media, and nearly as hard to be in a same-sex couple and just getting on with your life in real life as well.

I’m lucky to live in an area which is rather accepting of LGBT people and have friends to are LGBT or accepting of. I once had issues with my mother not being as okay with it, but that’s sorted now. I’d say the biggest problem is my boyfriend’s mother (I am a bisexual woman) is rampantly against LGBT, but she’s also crazy and as soon as he can move out, he is going to fully cut her off forever, so she never needs to know. In short - I’m personally not heavily impacted. But that’s because I’m lucky. Other people are not so.

As someone who plays for the lore, rather than the actual game, the seeing of LGBT characters in game is so fun for me. I love playing WoW because I love the idea of being this character who is so central to the story of Azeroth and it makes me happier knowing that if that character wanted to be with someone of the same gender, that would be okay. I’ve never met anyone from the forums, but if I did meet someone who was rather homophobic, I’d simply ignore them and move on. As I already said, my guild is accepting enough and that’s all I care about.

I feel it’s not a question of enough or not enough. Would I be pleased with more? Absolutely. Do I think what we have for now is a good start, and therefore consider it ‘enough for now’? Yes.

From the community itself - not much. There are those accepting and those that are not. The only thing that happens here is threads devolve into petty fights that end up going nowhere. What I would like from the WoW Devs, however, is for them to ignore the outcries of the homophobes and to keep adding more LGBT characters.

17 Likes

“I only want the opinions of certain people”

:roll_eyes:

:roll_of_toilet_paper: for your thread.

4 Likes

Stop it

1 Like

I just want to say that I am in love with you, Dejarous. You are the smartest person on these forums. Love.

For me there are 3 reasons why I like the inclusion of lgbt characters in the game.

One is because it makes the universe of wow feel more inclusive. Its an rpg so you’re meant to immerse yourself into this universe. And its a lot easier to see yourself actually being able to exist there when there are people actually like you inside the wow universe.

It can seem like youre a bit of an outsider when there is no one like you in the game.
For those who just play the game as a dungeon or raid only game I can see why they would not care about this stuff. But thats not how I play.

The second reason I like it is because its a sign the real world is changing for the better. Being lgbt is no longer this horrible thing to be ashamed of. Its becoming more accepted. Even if some people on the forums seem to show the opposite.

And the third builds off of that.
The more people who see lgbt people in media just being normal people, the more normalised it becomes. If kids grow up and see stuff like this, it will contribute to there being less homophobic people in the world, and make it easier for people to be open about their sexuality.

To some, the inclusion in this game might not be a big deal, but it does contribute to making the world a better place and I think that is a good thing.

13 Likes

Why is trashing on LGBT characters so important for you?

Turn them to what? Being a decent human that is accepting of others?

3 Likes

Thank you Dishula for sharing and answering all the questions.

It has actually given me personally a lot of food for thought and a much better insight to the LGBT community, as I am a straight person myself and quite frankly neither know, have met or ever talked with any LGBT people in real life.

Thank you Mclovin for giving your perspective as well.

Appreciate it!

2 Likes

Thank you for being open to listen and think on our experiences and what we have to say. We’d be a lot better off if the world had more people who were willing to do that.

5 Likes

It is important to allow all to BE THEMSELVES! Allow Azeroth to be a safe place for all, to feel like they fit in!

3 Likes

sexual orientation doesn’t matter. I have gay friends i dont mind lgbt as long as they don’t try to make themselfs look important by asking for stupid parades n such.

this game needs more Bukachu representation

2 Likes

That’s always a classic.

2 Likes

its true tho. Only reason there’s parade is cos some ppl wanna feel important lol. Nobody should judge any1 by their sexual orientation and everyone is free to do w/e they wanna do in their beds just dont go around being like " FITE FOR GAY RIGHTS" cos ull make a fool out of urself

1 Like