Trust Levels Explained

tl;dr: The “likes” thing isn’t something you’ll need to farm or beg for. You only need to attain 20 likes to attain level 3, which in itself requires you to visit for 50 days anyway, I can’t see any regular posters failing to get 20 :heart:'s in 50 days . You are only required to post a few replies to attain any trust levels. You do not need to create topics or ‘grind’ thousands of likes to get the top level.

I’m seeing a fair amount of confusion and lots of questions regarding the new “trust level” system these new forums use. Figured I’d just dump it here for easy reference (Taken from an MvP post):

Trust Levels

Trust Levels

Trust levels are a participation system on the forums. The more you post, like, reply, read, and visit the forums, the more you work your way to a higher trust level. Increased Trust levels grant additional privileges. Everyone who is new starts off at Trust Level 0 but will quickly climb by reading and visiting the forums within their first few days.
TRUST LEVEL 0

Trust level 0 users cannot:

Flag posts
Post more than 3 topics
Post more than 10 replies

TRUST LEVEL 1

Get to trust level 1 by…

Entering at least 5 topics
Reading at least 30 posts
Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

Post unlimited topics and replies
Edit wiki posts (more on Wiki Posts Below)
Flag posts
Create links and video embeds to trusted websites like Blizzard websites, YouTube, or Twitch

TRUST LEVEL 2

Get to trust level 2 by…

Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
Casting at least 1 like
Receiving at least 1 like
Replying to at least 3 different topics
Entering at least 20 topics
Reading at least 100 posts
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 2 can…

Have an increased “like” count.

TRUST LEVEL 3

Get to trust level 3 by…

Must have visited at least 50% of last 100 days
Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 500 topics
Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 20,000 posts (both starting posts and replies)
Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game)

Trust Level 3 users can

Create Wiki Posts (more on that below)
Post animated gifs, images, compatible video embeds, and links to any website

Observations:

Trust level right now seems to be per character. Likely because these new forums are a copy of the system OW forums have used, where you only had one “account”. Changing characters seems to equate to changing accounts. This might well be changed in future.

Likes are not THAT important. You only need to give and receive 1 for level 2, and level 3 requires months of forum browsing. By which time if you’re an active poster you’ll no doubt get 20 and give 30 by the time you’re eligible.

How to check your trust level:

Grimmj has created a tool for checking your trust level more easily!

This works for most of my characters but not all, if it doesn’t work for your main character refer to the original method below.

Visit this URL (Replace charactername with your… well, character name):
https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/u/charactername-argent-dawn.json

Then ctrl+f ‘trust’. Further down you’ll see all the ‘groups’ you’ve been assigned. If you only see trust_level_0 or something like that, you’re level 0. If you see a group for 0, and a group for 1, you are trust level 1. Etc.

What’s a wiki post?

In case this gets asked: At lv3 you can turn any topic you make into a ‘wiki post’ which ANYONE can then edit. Likely for guides and so on.

75 Likes

Just going to be blunt about it and say this is pretty dumb.

49 Likes

Glad you posted this. I couldn’t for the life of me find the thread where I found the explanation, so it’s nice to have it here on the front page.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s… odd.

Thinking more positively it doesn’t take much at all to start posting as normal, you can even circumvent the inability to post URLs at lv1 by using the Preformat button like so: www.google.com

Or just put a ` before and after the text.

like so.

Still a bit dumb though.

2 Likes

Gotta keep posting to reach forum enlightenment.

3 Likes

Remember… patience, discipline. Trust no one!

2 Likes

Selling forum boosts, 100k per likes.

14 Likes

Is there a rep guide for the forums yet?

Is the Zygor forum grinding guide up to date?

2 Likes

I’ll get right to it, I heard there’s an easy way to get around all of it but need to make sure it’s not cheating!

1 Like

Honestly I’m not a fan of the new forums but the fact that you are able to post actual gifs into the chats at trust level 3 makes this not as painful as i had first thought, perhaps there is something good to it.

1 Like

Make sure to ride the carousel at the Darkforums Faire for a 10% increase to forum rep!

Also admittedly, the fact that the trust level thing will severely limit the number of people who are able to post gifs etc. is probably a good thing. Means it’s less likely they’ll be spammed and the like.

The thing about links to other websites is very over the top though.

5 Likes

It’s the anniversary, you’ll get a lot more out of that 4% extra on top of the 10%, make sure to use the buff as much as you can throughout the duration!

3 Likes

Boo! This is terrible!

4 Likes

Well if what they said is true and if you’ve been banned/suspended AT ALL then I’m pretty sure a large number of us are invalid.

Even I got a forum ‘time out’ once, waaay back when Diablo 3 came out and I (admittedly with poor tact) pointed out how absurd the always online element was after I lagged out whilst playing single player. If that’s still on my forum record then I’m not likely eligible even if it was about a decade ago and lasted only a few days and was for an unrelated game.

If the record is wiped clean with these new forums though then I guess everyone has a fair shot at it?

3 Likes

It sounds like real life if that’s the case, one thing down on your criminal record and you’re given that consistent judgemental gaze (I’ve not been convicted of any crimes, okay!). Does that mean, everyone that has recently given blizzard a spanking for the whole mobile ruckus will be denied all this, because there’s a heck of a lot of posts or were on the diablo forums about it.

I’m a goody two-shoes, never been banned from the forums either.

3 Likes

Fully agreed and neither are you allowed to post… short messaged now… ffs

3 Likes

I would expect there to have been a ‘wipe’ of some kind.

Especially since now this trust level business is per character rather than account (For now anyway) and now there’s an actual long-term penalty for getting put in a time out, which wasn’t the case before.

3 Likes

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but this is an extreme and ultimately weird way to improve forums. Just shows how out of touch with the community Blizzard really are, thinking that they know what is needed for the best.

7 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve got the free time to get to Trust Level 3. Am I a wood league forum poster now?

2 Likes

Look at you, almost having all the likes to the next lvl :slight_smile:

(yes, it’s incredibly stupid)

guess I’ll post on this one then since it’s character based and not account… and I don’t even play on my 120 char

1 Like