Why the level 58 boost is bad for the game #stoptheboost

Hello, I’ve seen the community is quite torn on this topic, which troubles me as I thought something as ‘‘retail-ish’’ as the level boost would have people enraged and set the forums ablaze, so I thought I would make a post listing the reasons why the boost IS in fact bad for the health of the game and for the individual experience of both long-time classic players as well as new / returning players who don’t have a 60 yet.

It further aids bots

If anyone doesn’t know how the bot economy basically works, once an account is made with the purpose of being a botting account to make gold, it’s basically a race for the botter to make as much money as possible before they are eventually banned, if they are in fact ever banned. Every time a botter’s account is banned, they have to go through the whole set up cost and time investment of creating a new account and levelling new chars to begin their botting activities again. If they are unable to make more money than the set up cost of a new account and are unable to level up to the level they need to farm gold in a short enough amount of time before they are banned, then they start going negative which over a while will bankrupt a botter (put them out of business). So, the sooner they can get back to the point (on a new account) of being able to make money again, the more profit a botter can make and the more in-game resources they can (potentially) take away from legitimate players and the less likely they are to go under. Now, being able to boost to 58 OBVIOUSLY makes it quicker for a new bot account to start making money again, and therefore is a bad aspect of boosts because botting is bad for legitimate players for well-documented reasons.

Due to it’s cost, it actually makes the game less accessible to many new players

One of the biggest defences of the boost is that it allows new, returning and players who don’t like content added in vanilla wow to catch right up and skip past all of that content thus making TBC more accessible to more players, which both to blizzard and to players seems like a net positive. However, if the cost of boosts on retail are anything to go by, then these boosts actually act as a massive pay wall. Because now, if I’m a new player in TBC, I feel somewhat obliged to buy the boost so that you’re not behind from every1 else who has bought it. Now, some players won’t be able to afford the boost and thus are discriminated against and others may be able to afford it but are put off by the perceived required cost to play the game on an even playing field. To summarise this point, I think the cost of the boost will actually make TBC less accessible to more players than the amount of players who will now ‘be able’ to play because of the boost. And even if it isn’t more, it’s still a win / loss situation, thus there isn’t a distinctive and clear benefit to the boost.

It creates a new meta for how to be the most time efficient and competitive player

If I, or my guild decide that I need/want another character for a profession cooldown, let’s say a primal might cooldown to make more money or to craft at a higher rate for the guild, without a boost, I would have to level a character and that would be the most time-efficient and competitive way to get that additional transmute. Now yes, the most time-efficient and competitive way to do this would be through paying for dungeon boosts but at least I can do this all on the same account. But now, with the boost, the new most competitive way to get this transmute alt is to create a new account (assuming I’ve used my boost on another transmute alt already), pay a new sub and buy another boost. Essentially, the best way for me to be competitive in the market in tbc is to pay real life money for a level boost. It’s more time-efficient than dungeon boosting. And if anyone thinks that the best way in a video game to be efficient should be to pay irl money to the game company, then I don’t think they understand what makes good games, probably because they’ve been raised in this generation that have only ever known games to be loot-box cash grabs and nothing more.

In this sense, having it limited to 1 per account actually makes this new meta more toxic for players because to indulge in it, they have to make a new account and pay a new sub for every alt they want whereas if it was unlimited, they could at least do it on the same account.

It de-legitimises what others have earned and sets a terrible precedent

When you see some1 in retail with a store mount, you don’t gasp and think, oh wow, that player is awesome for having that mount because you know that the way they got that item was just through spending irl cash, and thus, holds not value. It wasn’t an in-game challenge to earn. It didn’t require any admirable traits such as skill, dedication, teamwork, co-operation or intellect. It required a credit card. The same applies to the boost. Now, seeing a level 60 doesn’t make you gasp in amazement of another player but it does show one thing. That dedication in the game directly correlates to increased results. The level boost devastates this fundamental correlation.

Now for the terrible precedent. What is this precedent you may ask? Well if you shouldn’t have to earn levels through doing something in-game then why should you have to earn gold, and by extension things such as riding skill, ur mounts, ur consumes, boes and so on. If you apply the logic being used to defend the boost to its’ full extension, you arrive at this conclusion, unless you are selective in your application of your pro-boost philosophy. But with no clear rules to define what conveniences are ok and what are not, then it all eventually results in subjective judgements of loud individuals to decide what is ok and what isn’t. This is why so many people were #nochanges because it provided a clear and consistent guideline that determined what could and couldn’t be in the game and applied that ideology to everything, not just somethings at the player base’s and the dev team’s discretion. Of course now, this has been abandoned, and the classic ‘give them an inch and they’ll take a mile’ has taken effect. Well if spell batching can go, then why can’t we change seals? And if seals can be changed, why can’t we nerf horde racials? And if we can nerf things, why can’t we buff things? If we can have the boost, why can’t we have the token? etc etc…

It’s cliche but, it isn’t the ‘classic experience’

This is the most subjective point of them all but… to me, the boost screams ‘retail!’ just as much as LFR, LFD and the wow token do. To me, it is no worse or better than them. Imo, if you have a problem with those things being in classic, then you should have a problem with the boost too. LFR was introduced in Cataclysm, LFD in WotLK, the boost in MoP and the token in Legion thus making the boost one of the newest features of all of the features that I mentioned previously as being ‘not part of the classic experience’. If the goal of classic is to bring back a version of the game that was long gone, then how is adding a feature from MoP cohesive with that?

Player-driven dungeon boosts are more acceptable than blizzard provided level boosts

To put it simple, although you CAN buy gold with irl money from third party sites to pay for dungeon carries from other players, there is also the ability to pay for those carries legitimately through earning the gold legitimately whereas if you have the blizzard-provided level boost, you can ONLY earn this (in classic) through irl cash. Of course if you play retail, which you shouldn’t feel at all obliged to do to gain an advantage in classic, then you can earn the boost in game through wow tokens.

In conclusion, dungeon carries are more acceptable because, although they aren’t at all conducive to a healthy and fun classic experience, they can be paid for through legitimate in-game means and do contribute somewhat positively to the server community in the sense that it is a player created economy where players can work to make money (assuming the boosts aren’t being run by a bot and/or hacker) whereas blizzard level boosts can only be obtained one way and one way only (through playing classic) and this is by buying them with irl cash.

It pollutes the 58-70 player population (especially at launch) with clueless players

It isn’t going to be fun when you’re trying to do dungeons whilst levelling with players who are on their nice and shiny new boosted class that they have no idea how to play because they’ve just been thrown their random assortment of gear, with a crap load of talents and spells that they don’t understand. These players will be dead weight and a drag to play with not to mention the fact that they will contribute to server lag and over-population in HFP.

What’s the middle ground? What’s the solution?

Imo, if blizzard make fresh tbc servers that cannot be transferred from or to then they could allow players to level boost on those realms and then remove the boost from the existing, non-fresh realms that are progressing from classic to TBC. The whole purpose of fresh realms would be to cater to new and returning players anyway so they don’t have to compete with players who have boat loads of materials and gold stashed up from classic and the main defence of the boost is that it allows those who don’t like classic content and didn’t play classic to skip and/or catch up to other players so why not put both things that cater to the same audience on one type of server and then get rid of that stuff on the servers that cater to another audience.

This is a very good video with mostly similar points to mine that you can watch if you don’t like reading:

228 Likes

It can but the price and implementation is not known yet, while bot usage was already mentioned many time so Blizz is likely aware of this.

On the other side - bots are in the game and they aren’t banned hard anyway. If everything is botted then bot boost doesn’t make a problem just enhances existing one.

That why a lot of people want transfer locked fresh TBC pre patch realms. Even I want to reroll fresh so I go with a HPala. If I would have to use existing realm with my mage I would have to like “return” now to start gold flowing to a level I’m fine for TBC - and question when and how to level/in-game-boost a Belf Pala if at all.

Even if the cost is not an issue anyone new will be 10 000 to 100 000 gold behind existing players. And if there will be lack or low layering resources will be scarce and inflation will kick in too.

Multiple accounts of boosted tailors can happen but also if someone pays 10 subs to have 10 cooldowns then it’s multi-layered pathology. We can hope it won’t happen and the boost will be smart but you never know.

Not really. Only some leveled “normally”. A lot just boosted or spell-cleaved. Like there is zylion clips of all those “journey” Classic streamers and content creators falling asleep while spell-cleaving a dungeon.

Like Blizzard know players degraded “journey” so they went with a paid boost as a lesser evil solution. In game boost can’t be priced higher than the official boost and it’s obvious RMT would be crazy prior to TBC.

And what was the vanilla experience in Classic aside of maybe “normal” leveling, early dungeons? Players altered the game beyond recognition.

But they won’t. If you are a new player you don’t have gold. And if the booster has 10 - 100K gold inflation is also a thing. And boosters and botters want money. They don’t need 1K extra gold. They want to monetize it when it’s most valuable.

There will be a prepatch so there will be time. And not like it’s that hard to play those classes and that Classic TBC will cater to MMORPG/WoW never-played-before people.

12 Likes

You do realise that if you do the maths, you realise that these boosts would have to cost like 200 dollars for them to not be worth it for botters.

‘‘Damn, the murder rate is pretty high in this area so clearly the law isn’t working so why don’t we just make it easier for people to murder and get away with it?’’

To me, this only helps the problem if the boost is then removed from the existing classic servers that are progressing to tbc and only the new fresh servers have the boost for players who didn’t play classic / are new / are returning / are rerolling

You can’t buy the boost for gold unless you play retail or buy gold on retail

The point is blizzard has to consider how what they add can be abused which will taint the game experience for other players

I dungeon grinded at launch but I still put in effort to do that. I stayed up late, I grinded. It may not be fun or exciting, but I still earned it.

I never made ‘‘the journey’’ argument, I made a earning what you get argument and also you didn’t address the bad precedent it sets

But I’m talking about what actual systems exist in game not how players choose to interact with them although I do think #somechanges could have been made to classic to accommodate for modern players such as disabling world buffs in raids. I’m ok with changes if they actually make the experience more similar to how it was played back in the day but not if they are just changes for straight up convenience / change how it was played back then.

You’re kind of missing the point. That being that you at least have the ABILITY, as the person BUYING the boost to pay for their service through in-game means whereas if it’s on the shop, due to classic not having a wow token, you don’t even have the option to unless u play retail.

As for new players, I don’t think it is good for them to boost either way honestly. They need to level their first normally, and learn the game which is one of the massive positives of classic levelling as because it is slow, it gives the player time to learn and spoon feeds them spells over time not all at once like retail. This applies to TBC too.

But only if you have some knowledge on what buttons are the viable buttons and what are never pressed. So if you’re new, thrown all these spells, ur just gonna stick em in mostly random places and spam what seems good.

13 Likes

Not really. 150 hours of leveling actually makes the game less accessible to many new/returned players who want TBC content only. I’m not protecting the boosts, but you mention only a negative sides.

11 Likes

I address that in the paragraph under the point. I say that if you gain some players who can and are willing to buy the boost because they are able to skip the levelling but lose some due to the perceived required pay wall then it isn’t a net positive and thus the boost loses it’s pretty much sole redeemable quality.

You have to also consider how valuable is this increased amount of players coming due to the boost. Are they likely to be long term players, are they going to significantly contribute to the server’s economy and community? Are they going to be dead weight for other players due to not knowing their class (through being instantly 58) etc… Is getting this (potentially) very temporary player bump worth all the negatives I listed? I don’t think so

7 Likes

Yes, you mentioned it before and that sounded kind of elitism. If they want to be a dead weight, it’s their choice. You’re always have a choice not to play with em.

6 Likes

How are you exactly supposed to immediately identify them? Sure, first hours of launch it’ll be obvious because they’ll be wearing boost gear and be level 58 but after a few hours? Not so obvious.

Thing is, nothing wrong with being new / unintentionally bad (because purposefully playing bad is just trolling) but you’re only able to be bad where you are because you’ve been artificially placed at a higher level that you shouldn’t be at by a boost.

Also, it isn’t elitism to say that players who actually play the game to get stuff shouldn’t feel obliged to carry those who don’t and are able to not play the game to get stuff due to a service that, people like myself, don’t even think should be available. This ideology that good players should have to carry bad ones is what is relied upon for retail features to work. For example, LFR where trash players require geared ones to get through it.

4 Likes

Simple. If you want to avoid “dead weight players”, you must play with your guild. Otherwise you do not have any insurance. You will meet them anyway.

4 Likes

Yes, but with the boost you artificially increase the rate in which you will encounter them. Bad players will always exist, and that’s ok, but it isn’t good for blizzard to create ways that more can just catch up for no in-game effort.

4 Likes

So true, some moneybag loser who probably quits before ph2 is going to ride across HFP alongside me, who actually put effort into leveling : (

4 Likes

yup and even though levelling isn’t the most ‘‘impressive’’ thing to have done, this logic that is used to justify the boost can be used to also justify boosting proffs 1-300 cus that’s classic content and getting epic ground mount + riding skill cus that’s classic too and full naxx gear cus that’s classic too.

3 Likes

Nice post, but there are a few things I would like to add on top of my head:

Bots and economy:
Not only that it will make botting ten times more attractive for everyone and cause an incredible increase in the number of bots, it will also obsolete certain professions and the economy in general. A good example will be gathering professions: A botter will now be able to create level 58 characters infinitely and just bot a few hours for its professions in different zones. What they will do then is send all the bots to high level zones (silithus, winterspring etc for now and TBC zones later) and flood the market with thousands of leather/black lotus etc. which will push legitimate gatherers completely out of the market. As it currently stands, most bots are either farming BRD/strat or killing mobs out in low level zones. I regularly see ten bots in barrens/thousand needles/feralas every day because botting by skinning is really slow. It will not be anymore.

Dungeon boosting:
Even though I am a mage that boosted a lot of people for gold, I know that it stinks and its a bad game design. Mostly because of pathing glitches in the dungeons. However, if a player is being boosted by a high level player, they will

1. need a ton of gold, which is hard to obtain so 99% of people I have boosted had at least 1-2 level 60 characters and wanted to skip levelling for an alt. (by a ton of gold, I mean I know that they can buy it from gold sellers, but on average, getting boosted from 20 to 60 all the way without any questing requires 6-8k gold right now, which is equivalent to 150 to 200 euros of real life money, which I doubt that the fee for boosting will be. So its A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE to just get boosted buying gold. Also its risky and can cause them to get banned, which decentivizes a lot of players)
  2. they still need to be in front of their computers for 5-6 days minimum running in and out of dungeons, getting ganked outside etc. This still takes some time and commitment.
  3. they still need to train their weapon skills/defense etc. to be viable to play the game after they get the boost. with 58 boost, they will be given all these for free and can start playing right away in 5 minutes after they slipped their credit cards out of their wallets.

Clueless players:
This is so true, can’t agree more. One of the reasons I hated retail was this.
I can’t remember how many times in BfA, there was these people that didn’t even know how to open their spellbooks, mages that didn’t know that their class has an “ice armor” or “mage armor” spell etc. I remember asking a level 120 druid for motw and he didn’t know what that was, then I had to tell him how to open his spellbook and find the spell.
People that get boosted in dungeons will still have to learn their spells, they will still have a little bit of knowledge about how to open their spellbooks, simply because they will still spend some time running to the dungeon and looking at their screen.

I think level 58 boosting is the worst thing Blizzard can ever think of in terms of ruining the game. Nothing could be worse. Dual talent, race change, ingame shop for mounts etc. all seem so much more innocent compared to level boosting.
I was really hyped for TBC but I feel so sad since yesterday. This is absolutely gamebreaking.

12 Likes

yeah you raise some good points mate, not sure I understand some but the weapons skill one resonated with me.

1 Like

Well I’m pro the one time 58 boost for a simple reason. Out of doussins of friends who started classic wow back in 2019, zero remain today. Out of them only around 2 or 3 ever made it to 60.

The leveling grind killed it for them. It made them one after another conclude that “this just isn’t their kind of game”.

Since the news, almost all of them are coming back. The “less than optimal” vanilla leveling journey really is that sort of a dealbreaker for a substantial portion of people.

This was a shrewd move on blizzards part, and I have no doubt many of them will want to/actually try to lvl alts, after the much more engaging lvl 58+ content gets them hooked.

2 Likes

I thought you can’t just go and buy a boost; it’s a one time thing per account.

All that was in WOW when TBC came out, all those players and problems existed then and will be there in the future also. With or without boost, its always be the same. As you mentioned in the classic there are tons of botters there and even without boosting. All i see in those boost haters is “me me me me”

3 Likes

To all the people who are saying that the pay-to-win boost is a good thing because the people who were too lazy to level in WoW Classic and demanded everything handed instantly to them on a plate for no effort can now start playing TBC…

… The problem is playing TBC, even from level 58 requires, erm, levelling your character.

If they are too bone idle or impatient to level in Classic, why would they have the patience to level in TBC? They’ll end up getting bored because things actually require time, investment and effort - and just end up doing their usual “plzzzz bo0sT m3 4 GloD i paY u 2 rUn me tHRu dUNG1ionz!!!11111”

9 Likes

Agree boosts should not be in classic. But at this rate TBC will turn out as retail light anyways.

7 Likes

That’s a big wall of “I’m entitled to the Classic experience because I like to level” and “You’re a trash player that doesn’t deserve TBC”.

I’m a mom of two and a doctor studying for an important exam. I played TBC for over 8 years on private servers. You don’t get to decide what I deserve and what I don’t.

It’s your fault, the community that already exists on Classic,that bots thrive and you buy leveling boosts and gold, not returning players.

If you stopped buying the damn boosts then these communities wouldn’t thrive. Don’t try to throw this on us. It’s all your fault so deal with it. The boost is not going to do anything other than discourage players from buying boosts from them.

Blizzard is only serving a market that YOU HAVE CREATED

10 Likes

I don’t actually know if I’m for or against the boost. As I won’t play BCC with my old chracters, but only if at all with Draenei. I can’t see it affecting me in any way.
But this last one is a problem … or could be if it’s whole new players. If on the other hand it’s returning players, the ones who gave up some where on the journey through Classic (be it for personal or game purposes) it’s just a catch up, and they at least somewhat know which buttons to mash when.
I must say that for me Classic was a “coming home-experience” in the extreme. I played a Hunter in Vanilla, I do again in Classic, and all the old muscle memory kicked in on day one.
But meh, dunno. I’m not going to use the boost anyway … you can have mine :wink: